Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-03, 14:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/220/140
BF:?
Progress: 20%
Default Don't hold the mayo!

Hi everyone! I posted this question earlier today on another part of this board, but I think maybe it got lost in the frey.
My question is,..is there any mayo being sold here in Canada, (B.C), that I can use for salads, tuna, etc? I found some mayo in the diebetic section of one of the large food chain stores, but it contain something called...corn syrup cane (?). I don't remember exactly what it said, but it sounded enough like sugar to me to put it back until I found out for sure. Anyone out there know of any safe mayo. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-03, 15:20

Stats: 180/133.0/129 Female 5'4"
BF:22.83
Progress: 92%
Default reply to Don't hold the mayo

Hi. You can eat regular mayo. Do you have Dr. Atkins Diet Revelution. I'm a newby too, but I am sure about this. If you don't have his book, get it from the library. It's a must have. I am from the Fraser Valley. Good Luck. slawrie. (Chrysalis)
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-03, 15:28
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

You can use Best Foods (Hellman's) brand mayonnaise. The amount of sugar in it is minimal and many people - myself included - use it with no ill effects.

There is more information in this thread on mayonnaise.

BTW, the Products Forum - where this question is posted - is not a very heavily trafficked forum. Your previous post was only here for two hours or so. You would perhaps get a better response in the General Low Carb or Newbies Questions.

Also, by the reading the title of the thread, I though it was a testimonial on using mayonnaise.

I'm not being critical, I just want you to learn how to get the most out of using the forum. It is a learning curve!

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 06:22

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi, there! My in-laws live in Halfmoon Bay, so your location caught my eye. I live in the lower mainland, tho.

I bought President's Choice mayo today (at Extra Foods but is also a Superstore brand). It has 0 carbs listed on the nutritional info, but in this thread (and FitDay) as 1 tbsp. being counted as 0.5 carbs. Doesn't sound like much, but could add up...

I'm just finishing Day 1 of Induction, and it sure was a challenge to stay away from the Coke machine (I'm addicted to that stuff), but I AM WINNING!!

Good luck to you!
N.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 09:39

Good Morning,
Thanks Slawrie for your help as well as Karen and Nikki.

Yep Nikki, stay away from that coke machine and good luck to you too.

Karen, I will definitley learn my way around here better. Posting on the right form will illicite a faster response. I do see the thread on mayo right where you said it would be!

Slawrie, going to buy the new book today. I was looking for it in our local library but all copies are out. Popular!

Sigh, now I can have my chicken or tuna salad mayo! Happy day to you all.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 17:51

Stats: 250/202/145
BF:
Progress: 46%

I buy Duke's Mayonnaise. It is sugar free and taste great!

I went to their web site (listed on the jar in my fridge) and here is the link. You can mail order directly from them.

http://www.cfsauer.com

I bought my Duke's may at The Fresh Market but I think I have seen it at another grocery store since... I am going to have to look soon since I am running out.

Hope this helps!

#7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 18:01

Hi theresa113.
Thanks for the info. Gosh, I never realized how hard it was to find something that was sugar free. Ever since I started this WOE, I read the labels and it is really a landmine out there. Thanks again. Your reply finds me sitting here browsing the board so I can respond immediatle. Now I will go visit the website you gave me. Hope you're doing well.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 18:12

Plan: Atkins since sept 22/02
Stats: 205/165/150 Female 5'8
BF:32/28/22
Progress: 73%
Talking mayo

Hi, I like Master choice ( no-name from Dominion) It is the lowest in Carbs that I have found. It tastes great and it's much cheaper. Or, use a braun hand mixer and make your own, Eggs and canola oil.

#9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 18:19

Hey HLFAN, someone from my hometown!!! I live in B.C. now and although my memories of growing up in T.O. are sweet, nothing compares to my life out west now.
Yep, that is something else I have been considering doing too. At least when you make the stuff yourself, you know for sure what is in it. Thanks for the reply.