Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 16:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 130/122/110 Female 5 ft 3
BF:I wish I knew
Progress: 40%
Default Join me? Starting Atkins Induction on 21st

Starting Atkins Induction on 21st

Hi--I'm posting this in a few places so I can find a buddy. Anyhow, I am planning on re-starting the Atkins (after failing on the first try) on the 21st. Would anyone like to join me? I was hoping to find a buddy with whom I can keep up with on this forum every other day or so--not only for encouragement, but also to push each other to keep our committments and so forth. I know I don't have much to lose, but these few extra pounds have been enough of a burden (look at my journal if you'd like).

So, if any other Atkins potentials, or those who have already started, or experienced ones, would like to walk with me into this new way of life, please let me know.

I still have lots of fears and questions--especially when I wonder if I will ever be able to have that cookie or piece of chocolate again. But a healtheir way of life is a definite "yes" for me, so I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get there.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 23:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Re: Join me? Starting Atkins Induction on 21st

Quote:
Originally posted by Hopeful
So, if any other Atkins potentials, or those who have already started, or experienced ones, would like to walk with me into this new way of life, please let me know.

Hey, Hopeful! Welcome!

The reason we're all here is to provide support for others and receive support for ourselves. That's the whole purpose, so - really - you have thousands of diet buddies. Don't worry. After the first three days, it'll be fun! (and maybe sooner)
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-18-03, 01:19

Plan: atkins
Stats: 247.5/236.5/130
BF:
Progress: 9%

Hey Hopefull,

I would like to be your buddy. I started the induction phase and didn't get through it, started it again and didn't get through it AGAIN but I would absolutely love to start it one more time on the 21st with a buddy. I need a buddy, no one in my life is really supportive of my decision to lose weight this wayand I need support you know? . I wish us both luck and I hope that I can make it this time. It's going to be hard because the 23rd is my birthday, but hey who needs cake anyway??

Meghann
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 17:19
Registered Member

Hi Meghan! I'm so glad to have found a buddy! But to be honest, if I were you, I would have cake on my birthday =) Are you sure you don't want to wait until the 24th? I'll wait with you! Let me know---I'll sign back on the 23rd to see. Until then, get prepped up and ready! Take care,

Hopeful
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 16:50

Stats: 135/123/110
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Hopeful did you recieve a note from onceiwas?

Hi hopeful,
This is onceiwas ,I was wondering if you recieved a note from me today? This is the first time that I have ever joined- in on any thing on the web,new experience.So I'm wondering if I'd doing this right ?
As I said I won't be beginning the induction phase until Friday January 24,because of my birthday.Would you believe I am going to 3 birthday parties all given in my honor for my birthday. this has never happened before.A test maybe? I am going to eat cake just once.the custom here in Mexico is the birthday person has to take a bite of the cake,while someone else tries to push your face into the cake .Its all in fun.
well,I'll see if I hear from you soon,bye for now,onceiwas
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 18:37

Plan: atkins
Stats: 247.5/236.5/130
BF:
Progress: 9%
Talking You're Right!

Hi Hopeful!
You are right, I'm going start on the 24th. I must have cake. So let me know how you are doing. Sorry I'm not starting until later! I'm looking forward to starting with a buddy though, we can encourage each other to do well.
Meghann
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 22:55

BF:

Hi Meghann & Hopeful,

I don't see the first message that I wrote I'm not sure what happened.I told alittle about my self so you would know something about me.

First of all I want to say Happy Birthday to Meghann to you
Hope that you have a special day.I went to two of the three birthday parties and did eat One piece of chocolate cake and must confess I really enjoyed it.I don't even feel guilty.I know that I will go back to my LC on Friday.OK Meghann,I'm pretty sure I'm lots older than you,but I'm young at heart.

My husband and I live in Saltillo,Mexico,he teaches ESL(English as a second language)We've lived here for 2 years.
WE have 3 adult children and one teen.I taught them all at home when they lived at home(home schooled them)two of them are still with us.

Last Oct-Nov I went to visit my oldest dd who lives in the states and gained some weight more that I have in a long time.
When I returned to Mexico I decided to go on ATKINS ,but only did it for 10 day and than decided to do maintainance.
Now I want to go on the inductionphase again to loose a bit more.I haven't been eating sugar or white flour(until today that is)
On my birthday tomarrow I'll be 54 yrs.old. About a month ago I went to the doctor to check my blood pressure and she told me,I had the heart of a 15 yr.old.I think she was kiddiing.I told her,I walk,do aerobics everyday and run on some days.I'm pretty active with exercise and love it.

I need the encouragement too,sometimes I tend to eat too much even though its good stuff. I know we can do this together,and I really want to get down 110.I'm petite but I have a big BUM and I'm hoping that those last pounds will come off from behind

I'm really looking forward to sharing and encouraging each other..
I know we will be a help to each other Thanks for letting me be apart of this with you. your new friend,onceiwas
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 22:48
Registered Member

Hello onceIwas and Meghan. I posted this buddy search in two different places, so now I"m confused about where I should post! I wonder if there's a way to merge the two threads? Anyhow, thanks for sharing about yourself, onceIwas. WOw, you're from Saltillo Mexico? Some of my friends from Michigan have been there for a missions trip. I've seen beautiful pictures of that city.

About me: I'm pretty young--22 going onto 23 in April. I, too, am petite and so the little extra weight does affect my health a lot. I'm just really hoping that this is more of a motivation for better health than trying to find security in my looks and such. It's so easy to fall into the mentality that if I'll be happier if I just looked better. But I"m really wanting to just FEEL better--so I've vowed to not weigh myself at all during induction, but just listen to my body and see if I do feel better as I get rid of my addition to carbs.

Anyhow, I hope you two had a wonderful birthday! Meghann, how old are you now?
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 21:10

BF:
Default my new friends and induction buddies

Dear Hopeful and Meghann,

thank you so much for replying to me Hopeful. I was very encouraged I too decided not to weigh myself until after induction (2 weeks) Let me tell you that is going to be a hard one for me because I weigh myself EVERY Morning .I can't remember when I haven't done so.Today was the first day and I feel like I did pretty good. I kept busy and was very conscience about NOT snacking. But I guess we're allowed to snack right? I read somewhere wait about 2 hours after you've had a meal.
How did you do Meghann? You know what? I have a 24 yr.old daughter who is a NANNY in Hawaii(Maui) she just left about 3 weeks ago to help a family that have 5 children.She has nannied them before about 2 years ago.If I remember right your 23 yrs.old right?
Well, I know that I am going to learn alot from you both.I'm excited to be doing this with you and having someone to be accountable to. That in it self is to me, going to get me through this.
Just one last thing I want to share ,I saw this recipe on one of the low carb sites and it is yummy yum..... maybe you already know about this.cinnamon pork rind crispas (less than 2 minutes to prepare.
1 bag traditional pork rinds splenda
butter,melted (optional)

put pork rinds (about 20 pork rinds)in a large ziploc bag(don't seal ) warm them only slightly in microwave( several seconds)
in a small bowl add about 1 tsp. of cinnamon or more and 2 pkg. of splenda.Mix it up and shake in to the bag of pork rinds.(I put more cinnamon) let me know what you think.

Hopeful,you said something about combining the two places that you sent messages to,Thats fine with me ,just let me know.
bye for now your friend onceiwas

want to hear from Meghann..Hope you had a good birthday.Did you have cake?? I had a piece and wow my taste buds were screeming for more but I told them to "SHUT UP."
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 21:18

BF:
Default Hey whats up???

Hi Hopeful and Meghann,

I haven't heard from either one of you in awhile and wondered if you decided to go to another post?
Hopeful ,the last time you wrote you said that you were confused and wondered what to do about combining the two threads, since you were corresponding with this one and another. Haven't heard what you decided?
Meghann,I have never heard from you
If neither one of you want to continue with this post please let me know and I'll look else where .No bad feelings just been feeling kind of alone . Hope to hear from you soon either way.
your friend, onceiwas
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 07:55
Registered Member

Hello,

onceIwas--don't worry, I'm here =)

I had a slip up these past two days--started at a superbowl party and ended poorly yesterday. But as it is said, if you fail, try try again. So today is a new day, and I am just going to keep on trying.

How are you doing?
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 14:09

BF:
Default Thanks for keeping in touch

Hi Hopeful

Thank you so much for writing back I was really happy to hear from you !! I mean really happy........
Don't feel bad about the weekend , like you said, we can just pick up from here and move on.
Well, I couldn't help my self.this morning I got on the scale and guess what ? I'm the same weight !!!haven't moved a bit but than again I think I need to read the Atkins book again to really get with the induction phase and know exactly what I am suppose to be eating.I think tomarrow I'll start over again.To late for today to start.
I've been snacking on peanuts, sugar-less jello,few raisins ,stuff like that.I think thats whats keeping me from losing the last 10 lb.I'm not really eating BAD stuff per se.
But I have to confess on Sunday went to a pot-luck and CHEATED and ate one cookie and part of a coke.Would you believe that the 3oz. of coke I drank had 10 grms of carbs. I won't do that again.I'll drink water like I'm suppose to.
Thanks so much Hopeful for thinking of me and encouraging me too. Lets do this !!!We can you know .
I'm glad to be doing this with you .
by the way what other post are you doing if your doing it?
I read somewhere about drinking LOTS of water,but I'll need to look it up and let you know where I read it.It will really encourage you,it has me and I'm drinking lots more water than ever. They say as much as a gallon of water !!Sounds like alot but it has made a BIG difference as far as losing weight.I'll get back with you in the next few days and let you know where I read that ok.
Bye for now,your friend onceiwas
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 10:56
Registered Member

I've been drinking lots of water as well--at least 3 liters a day!

For me, it's been hard. I messed up a few days ago and have been gaining weight ever since, even though I'm trying to get back to Induction.

But it looks like you are doing well--good job! Keep it up. I need to be exercising more.

Anyhow, let me know how you are doing. hope to hear from you soon.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 16:59

BF:
Default having a hard time too

Hi hopeful

I'm having a hard time too,seems that I can't stay with the program. My 15yr old is into baking now and I find myself "tasting" the goodies The family loves shelled peanuts so thats a real temptation for me.
I haven't really been doing that well,I couldn't help myself and on Wednesday I weighted myself I weighted the same.
I'm trying to write what I eat and the thing that I THINK would really help me is if I would write down a menu and stick to it.I keep telling myself that this strick eating is only for 2 weeks and than I can add more (5 grams of carbs and still lose,right?) But those last 10lb. are sticking like glue. I think I'm bored so I find "good "things to eat but they are keeping me from losing.
Have any suggestions? I feel like I'm not going anywhere.
Good to hear form you and will check and see if you write soon with some advise.......thank you Hopeful , I 'm glad your with me.
your friend,onceiwas