Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-03, 20:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 212/178.6/150 Female 63"
BF:47.5%/37.8%/27%
Progress: 54%
Unhappy Nasty Lumpy Protein Powder...Help?

Hello I am very new to this ...sooo new that i havent even bought the book yet...I have been reading posts and journals and trying it on for size. I hope to soon be following "Protein Power"...I have become a groupie of "Natrushka". ( I hope I spelled that correctly) I have been keeping a record of my food eaten for the past few days and have been adding more and nore protein and decreasing carbs and fat.Today I had 23% fat, 36% carbs and 41% protein. BUT...I bought some soy protein powder the other day which has 25 gr. protein and 100 caloreis per scoop. I have been eating 4 meals a day and working out with weights...cardio and aqua 3-4 times a week. In addition I have been taking glucophage 1000 mg every day. I lost 12 pounds from novemeber to december and nothing since..it's been about 3 weeks. I did lose almost 1% body fat though. One week ago I increased my work out routine after an evaluation from a fitness couselor. I have never felt better but I want to see some mass gone...I am willing to do what it takes..as I am highly motivated but just returned to school so any ideas on how to make this icky protein podwre more palatable will be appreciated...I need to keep it simple. I hope someone gives me some ideas...I can picture myself strong and healthy...but my mirror is arguing with me Sillychili
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 20:46

Plan: t-dawg
Stats: 220/200/200
BF:17/11/8
Progress: 100%

Get whey, seriously. Optimum nutrition's strawberry or chocolate are good choices, since they taste decent alone and are fairly cheap. Also you can stir easily with a spoon. But if you have lots of that icky soy stuff lying around try mixing it in coffee to mask its flavor.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 22:07

Talking whey to go

Thanks so much...I had no idea that whey and protein powder were different consistencies...I will get my butt to the store. I love to drink a "liquid meal after classes which is the time I head to the gym. I just feel better without too much in me. I was trying "slim fast" ever since the nutritionist told me to eat 4 meals...BUT duh..silly me never read the lable on that stuff...tons of carbs! So making my own and packing it is th eonly whey Have a great weekend! Anita
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 22:40
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Good for you to be test driving before buying!

When you've grasped the principles behind PP, you can mix some yogurt and a few frozen berries into the shake and blend it.

Quote:
Today I had 23% fat, 36% carbs and 41% protein.

Try altering the ratios: 65-75% fat, 5-10% carbs and 25-30% protein, which is closer to low-carb proportions. You may be very pleasantly surprised.

Quote:
In addition I have been taking glucophage 1000 mg every day.

Just curious, are you diabetic?

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 23:03

Talking Thank you!

Thank you for the suggestions! I have Insulin resistence diabetes which the doc says can become type 2 or be eliminated IF I take my meds and lose 20 pounds. That was 12 pounds ago. I hope to go off glucophage at some point in time. I am going to buy a couple of books this weeekend. I have had to wait for a long time, almost 3 weeks because I have been so busy. We don't have a book store in town and Wal Mart did not have any at all. I am going up to Oregon where we shop ..lol...the big city! It is only an hour away..but time has been a real problem. Anita