Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-08, 21:48

Plan: keto ancestral/IF
Stats: 330/189/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Supplemental Oils

I'm curious - if you take supplemental oils, do you count the calories in them towards your total caloric/fat intake for the day? I do - because I have to take such a large amount of them to ward off migraines (I follow a suggestion from Larry McLeary's book, The Brain Trust. He recommends a ketogenic cocktail of 1-2 T of MCT oil, 1 t -1T of flaxseed oil and 50 mg of EPA (I take as Cod Liver Oil) twice a day. This doesn't leave me a lot of calories for eating - but I would imagine that the oils act in my body as any other energy source would.

Anyone?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-08, 23:01
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

I take 4000 mg of fish oil in capsule form, and 4 vitamin E capsules (don't know the strength right offhand.) I don't count the calories.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-08, 08:19
Registered Member

Plan: IF Ketogenic
Stats: 265/218/165 Female 67 inches
BF:too much
Progress: 47%

I don't count calories. However, if I did I would include those from my Fish oil.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-08, 08:23

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
I'm curious - if you take supplemental oils, do you count the calories in them towards your total caloric/fat intake for the day? I do - because I have to take such a large amount of them to ward off migraines (I follow a suggestion from Larry McLeary's book, The Brain Trust. He recommends a ketogenic cocktail of 1-2 T of MCT oil, 1 t -1T of flaxseed oil and 50 mg of EPA (I take as Cod Liver Oil) twice a day. This doesn't leave me a lot of calories for eating - but I would imagine that the oils act in my body as any other energy source would.

Anyone?

Good girl...I love this book I am looking at right now as I type. I too take the ketogenic cocktail. Just purchased some flax oil yesterday. I do not count the calories in fat. As a matter of fact...I count nothing. Along that note, I also fast so my first meal won't be until 3:00 this afternoon. I take 1/2 of the cocktail when I awaken, the next 1/3 is taken during my first meal and my last dose is with supper. I would not count the calories in fat because, like you said, they are energy. They also help to absorb more nutrients in your diet fats are good brain food.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-08, 08:48
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

I usually try to take two teaspoons of Carlson's "The Very Finest" Lemon Flavoured Liquid Fish Oil daily - but I don't include this in my calorie counting.

According to Lyle McDonald, author of "The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook" - these omega 3's are very important - keeping the body burning body fat, helpful to the metabolism, and of course - upping the intake of omega-3's relative to omega-6 fats.

If I were you, I might consider spreading out the supplemental oils across various meals (this is recommended as well in Lyle McDonald's book, "The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook"), that way you're getting a nice dose of fats with each meal, leaving you feeling more satisfied at mealtimes. I guess what I'm saying is that I wouldn't take the oils just as a morning and bedtime supplement - I'd spread them out, and take them with my meals throughout the day. That way, if you're cutting back on calories a bit - you'll still feel a bit more satisfied because of having these EFA's at mealtimes.

I've noticed that there's a whole lot of food available that's low carb and lower in calories - over time, the composition of one's diet changes when starting to look at calories at the end run of this weight loss journey we're all on. Keep the essential oils - use them as a tool to help you feel more satisfied at mealtimes. Add more veggies and so on. Keep up with the minimum protein levels. Make minor cutbacks on other kinds of foods - ie. added fats.

No, I'm not advocating low-fat - I'm suggesting making the fats (the supplemental oils) work for you as you start to look at calories.

Hmm...not sure if this is helpful - just thinking aloud here really. I don't have any research or science or links.

Sara

Last edited by Citruskiss : Mon, Jul-14-08 at 09:01.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-08, 14:06

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I enter everything into FitDay. If I don't list my CLO one day, it's usually because I forgot to take it. But then, I use FitDay to watch my nutrient intake, not just for counting carbs, protein, and calories.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-08, 02:41

Plan: dirty carnivore..yeah
Stats: 203/170/160 Female 70inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

I take extra (outside use in cooking) coconut oil and hemp oil, which has omegas 3,6+9. I don't count calories, but I've got a lovely glossy coat!!!!!