Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 05:48

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%
Unhappy No more lowcarb for me for a few weeks.

Hey everyone

Haven't posted in a while ...lol but I gotta have surgery tuesday..again cause I have a stupid tumor growing in my neck. And last time I had surgery, when I had my thyroid removed.. My throat hurt for like 3 days because of whatever tube they stuck down it and all I ate was icecream and Mcdonald's shakes. So I'm prolly gonna do that again if the surgery even works. Last time they wouldn't even let me leave the hospital untill I ate some of the crappy blah tasting, low fat food cause my calcium levels were low er something. I was eating their icecream though, only thing that didn't suck.

And ya I'm scared I'm gonna die from anestiesa er something so I've been eating carbs, and not eating food at all. Sucks too cause I was just doing real good and lost 3 real lbs (meaning not just water lol) and gained em back already. But I don't really care bout that =/ and I'm gonna have another ugly scar on my neck. (I don't heal very well, I had surgery 2yrs ago and it looks like someone drew on me with a red pen) And I dunno something about being knocked out, cut open..eck I'm scared I won't wake up or ummm my heart will stop..lol That stuff freaks me out for some reason. One of the reasons I don't even want my dog nuetered yet..Ain't even 1yrs old. And even though I have the same surgeon and he swears I can't die from this.. But he hasn't cut me open yet and dosen't know yet if he can even get it out... My other dog just died cause of a tumor.. bleeding in his stomach..They did ERsurgery even though they had doubts, and it was worse then the xray showed..So ya I have a hella good reason to be scared.

Sorry I rant when I'm nervous..lol but good luck to the rest of ya, I hope I can get back on track asap. Atleast I'll have an IV and don't have to drink. I wish I could buy one of them.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 05:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

I will be thinking of you SlimShady. What an awful thing to go through. I would be scared, too. How soon are you having this?
Look on the bright side - at least the doc isn't gonna holler at you for being so fat. I really hope it goes well and that the docs are able to get it all out! I will keep you in my prayers. Cindi
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 06:00

Thanks Cindi.

I'm having it Tuesday,(1/14) unless I chikenout and reschedule. I've been in denial for about a month thats why I didn't even post here untill now lol but thats a good thing cause I would've gained 50lbs this month
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 06:21

Stats: 215/176/160 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 71%

((Hugs))

Will say a prayer that everything goes well for you..

Good luck!!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 07:25
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%
Unhappy

I'm sorry you're having this trouble SS. Try not to dwell on the negative and hold only good thoughts, OK? It will help all aspects of your surgery if you can. I'm sure you'll fly through with no problems!!

We'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers... please let us know ASAP how you're doing, ok?
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 07:32

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Slim!

I understand the fear of anesthesia, but it's very, very rare for a person to have serious complications from the anesthesia itself.
I've also had the very sore throat and sounding like a troll for a couple of days from the anesthesia tube too. I just had surgery 4 weeks ago and didn't have that this time because they used a shorter tube that doesn't go past the vocal cords (that's what makes it so sore) and never had to go off low carb while I was recovering. If it is sore, you could try protein shakes with some extra cream added in instead of ice cream. Add some ice to the shakes in the blender and it will be just as cold as ice cream. Another option that would be lower in carbs would be to put some frozen berries in the blender and add some heavy cream and Splenda and you'll get soft-serve type ice cream. I was just doing this for my youngest daugther a few weeks ago when she had strep throat.
Oh...about that scarring. Have you ever tried rubbing vitamin E oil on it once the stitches come out? I did that with my recent surgical scar and it's already starting to fade at 4 weeks.
I'll be thinking about you. Let us know how you're doing.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 08:24

Plan: LCHF - my way
Stats: 309/233.2/194 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 66%

I'm sorry for your situation. I'm not going to try to give you any advice.

I just have empathy for your fear and
worry.

May God bless you and give you comfort at this time.

Nonny
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 11:49
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Hi Slim...

just wanted to give you a hug before you drive yourself crazy with worry... I know how that feels, had surgery in June.

But try to keep yourself thinking how much better you'll be once it's OUT...do not postpone anymore...the sooner you remove something that doesn't belong there, the sooner you can be restored to good health and proper nutrition.

I will also keep you in my prayers. Believe that everything will be perfectly fine...I'm sure it will. Let us know right away how everything went....

#9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 12:29
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

hiya Slim,

Sorry you have to go through this again. Lisa has some good advice with the protein shakes .. you'll definitely need more protein for healing, regardless of how many carbs you choose to have

Hope you're feeling better soon, and keep us posted how you're doing.

Doreen
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 12:46

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

Hey Slim

I'll be thinking of you and hope you get well soon. Drink your protein shakes. I find them very filling, I heat mine up and add cocoa powder and splenda to it. Also the berry and cream ideas are very good.

Get well soon girl!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 13:23
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there, lass...

Best of luck to you and a speedy recovery. Don't chicken out and postpone it! Make sure you drink those protein shakes once you're on the mend - your body will need it.

Take care...
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-03, 15:09

Plan: atkins
Stats: 142/133.5/125
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hi Slim,

So sorry to hear what you're having to go through. I think lots of people get nervous in situations like this (I know I do!). We'll all be thinking of you tomorrow, and sending all sorts of positive thoughts your way.

I agree with the vitamin E thing - just buy those goopy little capsules of it, break them open and rub the oil all over the scar/stiches. It works amazingly well. My dad had surgery on his nose and you'd never know it.

good luck!

kiwi
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-03, 04:27

Thanks guys.
Eck I was hoping this day would never come. I gotta be there in like 4hrs, I do feel a little better though and I wanna just get it over with.. I called to reschedule yesterday at like 5pm lol, dr called me back and made me feel a little better I guess. He said its probably been growing for about a year, and it dosen't look like its attached to anything so its better to do it before it does. (ya, "dosen't *look* like....he still hasn't cut me open yet..) He swears everything should go fine, and he was right the last time so. guess I'm doing it today =/

I had to take 2 Zanex? (anxiety pills lol) just to do the MRI, I think I fell asleep in it at one point.. He told me to take 2 of them before I go lol.

And Eww. I made my brother fudge about 4 days ago, didn't eat any of it untill yesterday.. Nasty... made with 3.5cups of sugar Then I ate Wendys.. lol So now I'm starving today and I'm bloated..eck. I forgot how much this sucked. So ya I'm going to try doing the protein shakes and stuff depending on how my throat feels. I'm definetly asking about a shorter tube too..

I did the vitamian E oil the last time, But I only did it for about a month.. I got sick of that gooey feeling. I did it before I went to bed, and it would get on my pillow and made my face breakout..lol. Maybe thats why it didn't work though, didn't do it long enough. =/

K. Talk to ya'z later. Thanks again for the support
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-03, 06:30

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

Hi Slim, just read your post. Sorry you have to go through this, but glad you haven't chickened out. I hope all goes well for you and that you don't have to stay at the hospital long! You'll be back to lowcarbing sooner than you think! The protein shake idea is a great one, even if you got those premade ones. Let us all know when you're ok!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-03, 09:12
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

I'm holding good thoughts for you today, Slim!! I'm proud of you for being so brave and not chickening out! Sounds like you have a good doctor

Lots of big hugs!