Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 07:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169/156/135
BF:40.5/36/25
Progress: 38%
Default Back to Atkins - quit smoking too

Hi all,

After a year of on-again, off-again attempts at weight loss (mostly off!) I'm back on the program. Feeling pretty awful about my weight, but good about the 5 lbs I've lost in induction. The good news is that my husband has joined me in this effort, and we take turns cooking dinner - it sure is nice to come home from work and NOT have to think about cooking.

I also quit smoking at the same time - figured if I had to be miserable, I might as well do it in a BIG way. 11 days and counting - yay!

Has anyone else on this forum given up nicotine and carbs? I figure weight loss will not be dramatic....but hope my metabolism will get sorted out when it resigns itself to no more cigs

Looking forward to participating on this forum - even as a lurker, you guys are great support/motivation.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 20:03

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 185/183/160 Female 5'5
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 8%

Yes you have company here!
I quit as well a few weeks ago and it's not that bad. I think the low carbing helps keep me full and thus I don't snack as much(I snack on LC things). I think the wt loss is a bit slower, but I have upped my cardio so things even out. I'd rather quit smoking and lose slower, than smoke and lose fast.
Good goi9ng!!!!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 23:12

Stats: 305.0/234.0/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 49%
Thumbs up WAY TO GO TO BOTH OF YOU

I smoked a pack a day or more for 12 years of my life and everyone wanted me to quit but I was never ready to do it. I always told everyone that if I ever got pregnant again that I would quit. So 3 1/2 years ago when I found out I was pregnant with my 2nd child I said to myself I guess its time. So I prayed to God to please give me the strength to give these up. And I really believe that my prayers were answered because I never even finished that last pack. I quit cold turkey and never picked up a cigarette since then.
I had my battles quitting before and failed and that also applies to dieting (even on the Atkins plan) But I have won the battle over cigs and I am going to win the battle over being fat.

I am very proud of both of you. Your bodies are going through Nicotine and sugar withdrawals at the same time.

You are going to be happy with the results of both

When you quit smoking you smell a whole lot better and look better and feel better. You will be amazed one day you will be walking down the street and you will notice who smokes and who doesn’t because as soon as you walk by someone who smokes you can strongly smell the smoke on them and then you will think to yourself wow that must have been how I smelt. And it was.

When you lose all of your weight you will also look and feel better and have more confidence in yourself.

Anyway once again I would like to say that I am proud of you, and stay strong and if you start hitting some hard times you can always come here and talk to us or better yet pray to your higher power you will be amazed what the power of prayer can do! Keep up the good work!!!

Stay strong!!! And good luck
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-03, 13:06

Stats: 220/216/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 6%

I too have quit. 7 days and counting. I kind of went off this WOE during the holidays and after feeling guilty and depressed, I decided to go back on induction and quit smoking. It is hard, but I just feel more determined than ever before. I just keep telling myself, I don't ever want to start smoking again and have to go back to day one. Every day gets a little easier.

Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-03, 20:16

Stats: 219/205/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 17%
Post Day 4

This is my fourth day without nicotine.. My 5th week of low carbing. I'm ready to get rid of all my unhealthy habits. My husband is a smoker too and has NOT quit so I am always gonna be tempted.. but that is the same as the carbs.. they are always around me. I will win the battle! Good luck to all!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-03, 20:31
Registered Member

Stats: 169/156/135
BF:40.5/36/25
Progress: 38%

We should all feel REALLY good about taking this step. It isn't easy, but in the past I always found a "good" reason for not quitting (ie, "I'm trying to lose weight") or for not changing my eating habits ("I'm trying to quit smoking") - And was never very successful at either one.

What a roller coaster ride it can be. And funny how it can actually seem reasonable at the time. Guess that's what addiction is all about.

But I am very happy to be in control of my body - like Shannonlea said - "I'm ready to get rid of all my unhealthy habits."

How are you all doing it? Cold turkey? I'm relying on Nicoderm - but worry about the day I'm weaned from it...Guess I'll deal with it one day at a time (where have I heard that before?

Good luck all -
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-03, 00:08

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 185/183/160 Female 5'5
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 8%

pbastian has made some terriffic points. I think that it is easier to quit with this WOL because we are more even keeled with our blood sugars. We used to smoke when hungry (Low sugar times), now we eat a protein snack...much more sensible. It is hard, up and downs, but life is anyhow, so why not feel, look and smell better while losing/maintaining the weight?
Lets all keep it up!!!!