Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 15:58

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Progress: 100%
Default Do soy beans prevent weight loss?

This was recently posted info and I would love to hear what others have to say about this. So are there more cons than pros in soy beans? I wouldn't doubt that even diet soda prevents weight loss, but that is just a gut feeling. What sparked the post was that I bought Eden's Black Soy Beans for CHili. They have no added sugar and 1/2 cup has 7 carbs (6 are fiber).

Quote:
But, new discoveries are finding that beans are especially high in harful lectins that aren't cooked out of them...soy is one of the worst. And soy is in everything! Soda drinks are also bad for you in any form that you get the carbonation. It will keep the weight on and the feelings low. I didn't believe it, unitl my freind finally talked me into going off all sodas for two weeks. What a difference!

Oh, I stupid when it comes to nutruitional info - what are lectins?
I would love to hear any info.

Thanks,
Erin

Last edited by Erin4980 : Mon, Feb-04-02 at 16:04.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 16:19

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care

http://www.mercola.com/article/soy/avoid_soy.htm

has some interesting info

Leptins are proteins that bind to sugars or glycoproteins. (ever feel like you need to go take several physiology courses to ffollow a LC WOL? Boy, I do.) The types of carbohydrates to which they bind allegedly has health implications (like for the immune system)

Another soy issue being discussed out there is that more and more US soy is genetically manipulated. (And it all will be eventually, for you can't contain the airborne pollen of g-m soy from crossbreeding with older soy plants. I live in an organic-gardening nivana type locale and this is a big concern for soy farmers)

I'm pretty inexpert on this stuff, though, and have no opinion myself except that soy products are too carby for me.

HTH!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 16:36

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%
Default Lectins

I do not really have an opinion on soy beans but I can help you out with Lectins

Lectins are sugar-binding proteins. In essence they are the glue that holds certain cells together. They are found in all sorts of biological life,....plants and animals. Of themselves they are not harmful and there are many sorts. Without them we would perhaps be a puddle of molecules!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 17:13
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

You friend misunderstood her experiment

If you give up soda for a week, you may get better results for sure. But is it because of soy? This is a bad conclusion, since soda has so many chemicals and sugar or sweetners in it.

Soy beans cases retention of water, and this may cause people to think it prevents weight loss. If you don't have problems with water retention, you should be fine.

As for Mercola's opinions on soy, it's not his own opinion, he's reproducing an article from another source. We a discussion of that article in the Research/Media forum.

I have yet to find any sufficient studies to prove all these claims against soy. I don't use soy much, but I'm quite suspicious of all the manufactirers behind the research against soy

Wa'il
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 17:39
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

The Eden Black soybeans do not contain 7 grams carb MINUS 6g fiber to give a result of ONE gram digestible carbohydrate. The fiber has been pre-subtracted .. so the count is 7g carbs AND 6g fiber in addition.

We've had this discussion previously, resulting in an email to the company .. and this was confirmed. You can read all about it here.

Folks need to be aware that more and more manufacturers are PRE-SUBTRACTING the fiber content, and listing them separately with the carbs. You cannot turn around and subtract again, or you will end up eating too much of the food and go way over your carb limit, thus stalling your weight loss efforts.

A good rule of thumb - If you subtract the fiber grams, and the result is way lower than some other similar food .. chances are you haven't found a miracle low-carb food, it's just that the fiber has already been subtracted. We need to get used to this, since it's becoming the trend, and will likely also become law with the move to more accurate food-labelling internationally.

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 17:56

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Default Ahhhh Doreen,

This is where I got the recipe that started me on this soy bean thing...I hope the lowcarbluxury realized that the fiber had already been subtracted out.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...ht=chili+recipe

Man, I've definitely been feeling bloated and more stuff than usual. It's like if I had wanted to cheat so badly, I would have like to pick something else....

Thanks for the info,
Erin
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 19:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: 190/186/140 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:

Doreen T is incorrect, I emailed Eden about their carb content, this was their reply:
Dear Angela,

Thank you for contacting Eden Foods and your interest in Eden products.

The carb count on the black soy beans does not have the fiber already subtracted. There are 8g of carbs and 7g of fiber making it 1 net carb. If you should have any further questions, please contact Customer Service.

Sincerely,

Sandra K Baker

Customer Service

Eden Foods

Fax: 517.456.7025

www.edenfoods.com
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 19:35
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

i eat lots of soy and have had no adverse effects. I have been told by folks with low thyroid that it can exacerbate the problem and would likely interfere with weight loss in those who have a sluggish thyroid.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 20:58
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ang71663
Doreen T is incorrect, I emailed Eden about their carb content, this was their reply:
Dear Angela,

Thank you for contacting Eden Foods and your interest in Eden products.

The carb count on the black soy beans does not have the fiber already subtracted. There are 8g of carbs and 7g of fiber making it 1 net carb. If you should have any further questions, please contact Customer Service.
Eden Foods

Wow, 'cause I remember someone asking them and posting their response a long time ago and it was the separate answer.

Well but really, the protein/fat/carbs/fiber/calories can clear that up mathematically. I just don't have a can here to look.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 21:44
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

Using their nutrition data posted here, and using fat/protein/carb calories per gram at 8.8/4.3/3.8 respectively:

124.8 total calories minus the fat calories (8.8*5.7g) minus the protein calories (4.3*10.8 g) leaves 28.2 carbohydrate calories. 28.2 divided by 3.8 is 7.4 g carb.

I don't see starch anywhere on that analysis. :/ Unless there's newer data available, the company rep is wrong. Shame on them if they know they're pulling the wool over peoples' eyes.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 21:47
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
..Well but really, the protein/fat/carbs/fiber/calories can clear that up mathematically. I just don't have a can here to look.

Exactly. According to this previous email, also from Sandra K. Baker, the calorie count does not include fiber. Somebody else posted that they had contacted the Eden company, and were advised the nutrient data was for 1/2 cup of beans with liquid, and not for drained beans.

Here's the mother of all "black soybean" debate threads ... http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=92416

Doreen
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-23-08, 04:03

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

The difference between USA-type labels and most of the rest of the world is really confusing especially to new lowcarbers.
It would be great if they could all agree to follow the non-US method and list fibre seperately apart from the carbohydrates.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-23-08, 08:55
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I just realized I posted on that thread you linked and the last post was like 2004 LOL. Whoops.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-23-08, 09:25
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

The lab analysis proves the carb count *includes* fiber.

Look at the column for a 100g sample. Add together the mass in grams of protein (8.3), carbohydrates (5.8), total fat (4.4), water (80.6) and ash (0.9) and what number do you get? You get 100 g.

You can run everything else through all the hidden carb and other calculators and analyses in the world, but the fact is that simply adding together the mass of the components gives the total mass of the sample.

For 100g of their product, total carbs are 5.8g, fiber is 4.4g, net carbs are 1.4g. For a single serving, total carbs are 7.54g, fiber is 6.89g and net carbs are 0.65g.

The previous email cited is laughable. The person who wrote it quoted a person in the *purchasing* department. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't turn to an accountant or a bookkeeper or a clerk when I want information about how to understand a lab analysis. I have better credentials in chemistry than an accountant -- most of us here have credentials at least as good as an accountant.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-23-08, 10:16
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Hey, I'm an accountant and I can read the lab analysis!

Liz is right, when you add the grams of water, ash, protein, fat & carbs (before subtracting fiber and as stated on the label), you get the total number of grams in the serving according to the lab report.

*However*, something is fishy there. Even us lowly accountants can see that if Fitday, Nutritiondata.com, other canned black bean labels (Goya for one) and the US Dry Bean Council all have nutritional data suggesting that fibre is about 37% of the total carbohydrate count for canned or cooked black beans and Eden says theirs are about 91% fibre, then there is something wrong. Critically examining numerical evidence is something accountants *do* tend to be good at.

Someone mentioned that they did the analysis with the beans in water? That would explain the 80% water content lab analysis. 80g of water in a 100g serving of beans? That sounds fishy right there.

Last edited by ValerieL : Fri, May-23-08 at 10:23.