Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 15:10
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 68/635/55
BF:
Progress:
Default Help no weight loss

Help me!

I started the Atkins program at the end of Nov 2002.
In the first two weeks I lost 5 kg but since then I have lost nothing. So it has been 4 weeks without weight loss or inches.

I am doing exercise 4 times per week either running/walking or gym workout.
I take pulmcort daily (1600)and ventolen ( an ashma spray daily)
I am eating one bar of Atkins choc peanut bar.
I have very strict and am keeping below 20g eating
a typical meal would be

Breakfast - bacon and eggs
protein Atkins shake
Lunch salad and meat and cheese
Dinner meat and cheese
snacks Atkins choc bar, cheese meat etc.

In the last couple of weeks I have got bored and have included nuts, diet sodas and splenda but I have not overdone it. but I read somewhere that these might stall weight loss.

I have had a full blood test and some results are:
Tsh is 1.83
Iron was low at 117
Everything else seems normal.

I think this is an easy eating plan and have enjoyed the food as peviouly I have gone on the liven diet and
Pritiken so this is 100% oposite.

Can you suggest any thing

Regards

Leonie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 16:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

Ok, first, your exercise may be keeping you from losing right now. If you are building or re-building lean muscle tissue, that's going to weigh more than the fat it is replacing.

Second, your Atkins bar could be stalling you. Most people agree that daily is too often to use them because there are many who are sensitive to the sugar alcohols just as much as sugar.

Third, are you completely certain you haven't lost inches, either? If so, you probably ARE gaining muscle. If not, there's your loss - not in pounds, but in size.

In any case, patience is almost always the key. I stalled for two months early in my Atkins journey, mainly because of meds I was taking, and yet this week I lost 6 lbs in 5 days. Keep the faith!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 16:40
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

I would suggest that you increase your intake of whole foods (unprocessed meats, fresh vegetables ) and reduce your cheese... limit it to 3-4 oz./day.

Eliminate Atkins bars or limit them to 2/week.

Limit artificial sweeteners to no more than 2 servings/day. Drink plenty of WATER!

I also suggest you keep track of your calories and make sure you're getting enough... with all that exercise you need to be adequately nourished. In no event should you go below about 1400 calories/day considering your exercise level.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 18:47
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 68/635/55
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for your help
I just love the atkins bars why if they are the atkin brand would they be not benificial?
and what about the Atkins protein shake are they ok?
Does anyone know if the ashma medication eg pulmcourt would have any effect on the stall?

thanks in advance for your help.

Leonie
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 21:18

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 255/173/125 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi, there!
Maybe you could post a few days worth of what you're eating? (Put absolutely everything!!!!) You might be doing something that's tripping you up that you'd never suspect.
Are you drinking plenty of water? If I don't drink at least 4 litres a day, I stop losing.
And yeah, unfortunately, it might be the Atkins bars tripping you up. I've never eaten them, but I love the Pure Delight chocolate bars and I sadly have come to accept the fact that if I have one, I will NOT lose any weight for a day or two.
Some people are stalled by coffee (which has carbs in it, btw.) Also, some people aren't aware of the 'hidden' carbs in other things, like cream.
Don't give up yet!!!! You might just need a few dietary tweaks to get you losing again!!!!
Good luck!!!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 08:39
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Click on the link in the orange bar above called "Low Carb Tips" and read the section on Sugar Alcohols and Hidden Carbs.... I think all your questions will be answered there.

Another great place to find great info and tips of all sorts is a Sticky at the top of the Newbies Questions forum called "Hot Links".... I'd bookmark that one if I were you, it's invaluable!!