Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 12:47
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 156/153/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Unhappy Addicted To Carbolite Treats!!!!

I have been away for awhile, but am back now & ready to get strict again. Only thing is that over the holiday, my mom & I bought some Russell Stover sugar-free chocolates (DELICIOUS!!!!) and some carbolite snacks so we wouldn't feel deprived while evryone else had cookies, fudge, etc. The problem now is that I can't seem to stop craving these SF snacks! I bought about 10 carbolite snacks the other day to last a couple weeks, but ate them all in 2 days!! I am thinking of stopping for one on my way to the gym today. I can't stop thinking about them!
Carbolite now has chocalate chip cookies, jelly beans, peanutbutter cups, shortbread cookies, etc. It is TERRIBLE!!
The good news is, I didn't cheat even once over the holidays. I just ate too many SF treats. Are these treats addicting to anyone else? I stopped at Walmart yesterday for groceries & only let myself buy one. I am trying to ween myself off of them!

HELP!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 12:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 305.0/234.0/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 49%

wow I know exactly how you feel lol, they are very very good. remember this NEVER NEVER NEVER again buy a bunch at the same time to last a week because it NEVER works out that because you do end up eating them all at once. Maybe you should try to use them as a reward, for example dont have any LC candy all week and if you loose weight that week reward yourself with 1 or 2 but no more. Stay away from the part of the store that has them STAY AWAY FROM WALMART ALL WEEK!!!! go to another grocery store that only has the nasty lo carb bars.

Have a good day and stay strong
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 13:11
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

It is better then regular chocolate only by degrees. You have an addiction and if it is that strong - I would recommend cold turkey for a while.

Get back into the grove of low carbing for real.

They stall my weightloss so I won't get to enjoy them until maintenance...
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 16:07

Stats: 367/225/175
BF:
Progress: 74%

The Carbolite chocolate bars, sour fruits and cookies are great. But I had to go cold turkey on them. I was losing my focus!! And living in the bathroom!!

Now I traded them in for Lean Protein Soy Bites covered in Peanut Butter. OR Just the Cheese rounds Pizza flavored. Not chocolate, but it'll have to do.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 17:24
Registered Member

Stats: 183/145/120
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default Funny you should bring this up today...

A few weeks ago at Walmart they had the carbolite choc bars on sale for 20 cents each and I bought 250 of them!! I thought,"I can't just pass up this great deal!" Well, after losing control last week and gaining some weight (not just a stall, mind you) this morning I got out my husband's screw gun and opened up a trap door to an attic and hid them all from myself behind about 30 2" screws!! I sure hope that does the trick because I really don't want to have to sell them or give them away...

Heather
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 18:00
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 156/153/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Thanks so much! I don't feel so alone. I havn't gotten on the scale for fear of gaining. The scale has a power over me & my moods. I have been on induction for 2 months with a weight loss of just 4 lbs. But, some days my weight is up & on those days I am so depressed, I won't even go out. I think I will wait a week & then weigh myself. I will go COLD TURKEY!! No more carbolite or any other treats. I will try to keep it CLEAN!

I did make the mistake of going to Walgreens before working out & they were on sale! 5 for a dollar. And there were so many good ones, so I got 5. Needless to say, they are gone...My last "binge" on treats.

They did get me thru the holidays without one single cheat, so they are good sometimes, but now I need to go a few days to get rid of that sweet craving they have brought back.

Live & Learn!
Thanks again guys!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 23:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

Do you have someone you could share them with? When I crave a treat, I ask my family if anyone else wants something sweet, too. Then, we break up a bar between however many want a share. That way, I get my sweet, but not so much of it. And, on occasion, we've shared two bars among the four of us, but we don't let anyone go crazy on them. (Also, after several months on Atkins, I don't crave sweets as often as I did.)
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 09:15
The evolution of me

BF:

Well if they don't stall you? Some people do fine with the hidden carbs in those bars. I on the other hand seem to feel every malitol carb on the scale.

You need to decide how willing you are to put off weightloss.

This is a personal decision you need to make.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 12:10
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 193/146/128
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default LC Treats

Hi all : )

During round I of my LC weight loss (where my goal was 150, fm close to 200), I became totally fixated on LC treats, and would binge on them too often (especially ross chocolate bars, they blow away all of the others, and I don't end up in the bathroom).

The solution for me is Planning.

I'm in day 10 of induction (New Goal 128, & have lost 6 pounds so far). I make sure I have planned a really great LC treat for the afternoon snack - check my journal for recipes, like coconut cake, strawberry short (coconut) cake (my fav), LC almond joy bar, etc. I look forward to it, I know I'm going to get it, and I'm very satisfied once I've had it.

If I just have them (LC treats) hanging around, I tend to keep reaching for them....

Good Luck
Jen
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 16:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally posted by lkonzelman
You need to decide how willing you are to put off weightloss.

You're right. However, I figure this is a way of life for me, not a diet. I'm going to be on this plan for life. Therefore, it isn't a race for me. I'm willing to stop and smell a few roses along the path.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 07:11

Plan: Atkins-modified
Stats: 371/194/175 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Hi everyone,
I can relate too well to getting addicting to low carb treats, but luckly my Walmart doesn't carry them (I live in Canada). Living near the border, i do go over on occasion and buy some. And just like most of you, i am good for a day or two, then something inside me triggers, and i end up devouring the remaining supply. I have also done this with beef jerky, i make a big batch, and plan on eating it slowly, and then, before i know it, by the end of the day, it's all gone. What i do now is after I make it, i grab a bunch of ziplock bags, and label them with the days of the week, and equally divide out the jerky. So I find myself not eating an extra serving because then i know i won't have my treat the next day. I think i will try this when i go over the border and buy some more low carb snacks. If that doesn't work, then i will just have to think of them as the enemy

Toni
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 16:31

Plan: WIN! (my own plan)
Stats: 172/150/123 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default HETOAME

Heather!

{{{{{{{{{HUMONGOUS HUGS TO YOU}}}}}}}}}}

When I read your post....I just can't begin to tell you how very much I identified with you! You had me laughin' at myself for I KNOW that I would have done EXACTLY what you did for there is no way I could have resisted such a bargain!

I'm a definite chocoholic...with me, here in Canada, it is Ross bars...they are so delicious. I bought 16 bars last weekend at a cost of $25.00. I promised myself I would eat only one...well, , maybe two a day. Two I gave to my neighbour, two I put in the fridge for my husband, and the remainin' fourteen, I put in the freezer so it would (hopefully) take me longer to eat them. WRONG! I was hypnotized by the 'thought' of all of those goodies just waitin' in the freezer...invitin' me to eat them. Well, I couldn't resist and I ate all of them over the weekend! Then, on Monday, I couldn't help myself, I ate the two I had put to the side for my husband!

Guilt absolutely overwhelmed me. I called one of my daughters and asked her to help me! Now that I have met you, I have finally met someone who is so like me that I can relax and laugh at my own Self.

You are my first ANGEL on this site and I am grateful for you and your merry-hearted spirit! I have a journal so if you ever want to post me in my journal, feel welcome.

YOU are very special!

Many Blessings and Happy New Year 2003, Heather!

n0ah

(p.s. ~ if I find any Ross bars on sale ~ I know I will still buy them! ~ I can't resist a good bargain! ()
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 17:11

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Re: HETOAME

Quote:
Originally posted by n0ah
I ate all of them over the weekend!

14 bars in one weekend? Merciful heavens, I think I'd explode or spontaneously combust if I were to eat that much Maltitol at one time. How did you survive????
I once ate two bars in one day and was in absolute misery for about 3 hours with gas pains and cramping.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 17:23

Stats: 305.0/234.0/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 49%
Red face I am in heaven

I don't know if this is the thread that I should post this in but my husband went to the health nuts store ans came back with i package of Carbolite pecan caramel clusters 1 carb each I had one and my husband had the other one.. OMG they are so delicious it was the moment i sunk my teeth into it I discovered this was no longer a diet anymore, This is definatly a way of life that I can live with. He also picked up some atkins country white bread and I had a deliciuos sandwhich. I wont have more than 2 slices in a day so tomorrow I am going to make some french toast with SF LC syrup. ohh this has got to be the best diet on earth
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 19:19
The evolution of me

BF:

I guess this is the thread to admit it but I sincerely love the carbolite peanut butter cup frozen!!

My personal favorite but I can't let myself have it until maintenence.