Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 07:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/160/140
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Hanging My Head in Shame

Hi all,

Firstly it's really nice to be here. Have been reading some of your posts and you all seem so friendly.

My name is Catherine and I am 27 years old, from South Wales in Britain. I now live in Greece with my husband of seven months.

I was on the Atkins diet last year and managed to get down from a US size 10 down to a size 8. I was really pleased with myself and well convinced of the benefits of the diet. My skin cleared up, a thrush type rash near my chest disappeared and I had more energy.

I got married and what possesed me to give up on the diet, I'll never know! Still, I did, and seven months on, here I am with every pound gained back and am wearing size 10 to 12 clothes again. I know at nearly 5ft 8inches, it's not horrendous but I feel obese and very depressed. Worse still, I am finiding it so hard to get going with the diet again. I tried going cold turket about a week ago but I just ended up feeling awful. This time, I have decreased the carbs over the week to one carb rich meal per day. I have also all but eliminated one small caffine drink per day and have tried to drink lots more water.

Saturday morning tomorrow and this is where it starts. In the last six months I have learned to cook (probably one of the reasons I abandoned the diet in the first place) and I am hoping these skills will provide a little more variety in my diet this time around. I have even made up a menu for the week and typed it up all fancy in French cafe style.

Sticking to the diet isn't always easy. Here in Greece it is impossible to come by the subsitutes so it's natual ingridients all the way.

The truth is I am so scared of failing again. I really, really want to drop a dress size, preferably in the next two months and have ordered lots of workout DVD's to help me along the way. I have just had a problem with my foot fixed and was given the all clear last night to work out again.

The main reason I want to loose weight is that I have polycystic ovarian syndrome and my husband and I want to start trying for a baby late summer.

I just wanted to tell you my story because I think I am going to need all the support I can get.

Thanks for listening, I really needed to get this off my chest.

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 07:13

Stats: 272/262/200 Male 6 feet 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 14%

I had been on atkins several times and never seemed to last more than about a month until this time. I can almost promise you that after you do the two weeks induction period (for me the hardest part) the rest will be easy. If you haven't already read the book be sure to read it and make sure to drink plenty of water and to take your supplements and I really think that you will feel better this time around.

You might think that it is hard to stay with in the 20 carbs for now, but once your body gets used to this WOE it is easy!

Good luck, You can do this!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 08:54

BF:

Thank you so much for your response. It's definitely a boost for me.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 09:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 255/255/170 Female 5'9
BF:

I admire your drive to keep trying. I too, had started atkins about 4 years ago, then gave up when things became too stressful fo rme.
I just recently started it again, with renewed determination since I have a wedding to go to in June. My sister is marrying into a greek orthodox family so it seems that all we do is eat when we all get together. I can only imagine how it must be to actually live in Greece.
Keep up the good work!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 09:19

BF:

Thanks Inanna! I think that's part of the problem. The social eating! Hope your sister's wedding goes well. I know Orthodox weddings can be a big deal to organise. And good luck for your target too!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 11:32

Plan: low-carb Ali style
Stats: 175/167.5/145 Female 5ft 7inches
BF:No idea
Progress: 25%

Hi Catherine,
How lucky you are moving to such a beautiful country.
Just a suggestion, could your folks in Wales send any ingredients that maybe you can't get over there? I'm thinking about dried stuff, obviously not fresh.
My sister used to live in Prague (before the wall came down), she'd beg us to send her foods that she couldn't get.
The kitchen section on here is also really good for new recipes and ideas. I'm not sure I could have stuck to lcing without it.
Good Luck
Ali
(in dreary Hertfordshire)
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 17:09

Plan: LC food combining w/BFL
Stats: 210/178.5/145
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Good for you!

Hi Catherine! You most definitely should not hang your head in shame. You are on the right path and know what you need to do to reach your goals. I would suggest starting a journal. It's a great way to keep track of progress and get feedback on menus, etc. Plus, then others can live vicariously through you and enjoy the Greek experience Have fun learning to cook---I find huge amounts of satisfaction and enjoyment cooking lc. Also, if you haven't re-read the book recently, I would strongly suggest you do so----to refresh the info and motivate yourself. When you are having a bad day check out the success stories area----always a source of inspiration
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 11:40
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Hi Catherine...

I wanted to share a couple of things with you...first of all, at your height and weight, you are NOT obese...!! I know, we all feel awful about certain thing concerning ourselves...I just got back from a cruise and I can't tell you how many times I compared myself with the younger, sexier girls! It IS depressing, but it's still a matter of our attitude, and that can be changed with a simple decision! Try to get the negative thoughts about yourself OUT of your head, and replace them with some serious determination to reach your goals.

NOT to fast...just a realistic pace that will be more lasting in the end. I dropped WAY too much weight in 3 months the first time around and there's no answer to the loose skin problem other than surgery. So, nice and slow will not damage the body...

Also, I have battled PCOS for years, and am finally WINNG!! I can relate to your situation, and I guarantee you, staying on a LC diet no matter what, is the answer to the symptoms. You may be aware that they are now finding a glycemic root to this syndrome...well, I knew that -- most of us did -- long before the doctors!! Staying away from the carbs and sweets definitely helps the system to function more smoothly...so hang in there even if you're not losing right away!

In such a wonderful FOOD place...you should be enjoying all the oily fish, lamb, cheeses, olive oil...mmmm, garlic, oregano, herbs,...oh, can I come for a visit??? Listen, go to the library or book shop and see if there are some LC cookbooks for the local cuisine...in any case, you can improvise and adjust anything you need to...

You and your DH can eat like royalty and be on LC together (he can have the bread, you have the butter!)...

Stay in here with us...this is a great place to check in for support and motivation. You'll do great!! Good luck.

#9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 12:30

BF:
Smile

Thank you SOOOO much for taking the time to reply. I started on Saturday as planned and my ketostick had a hint of purple in it already! I am very encouraged. I have started working out for 45 minutes per day to help accelerate the process a bit. I spent this weekend trying out a few new recipes. Thank you all so much for your encouragement and support. I am looking forward to spending more time in here.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 12:45

BF:

p.s. Hertfordshire aint so bad!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 17:23

Plan: WIN! (my own plan)
Stats: 172/150/123 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default Keep smilin' and look up!

Hi Catherine!

I just wanted to tell you that I am proud of you for keepin' track of your stray moments. Remember that we all have them and we have to laugh at ourselves at times. Humour helps. Sometimes the tendency to dwell on them holds us back or puts us in a stall, doesn't it.

ANA has been my approach since Sept. 1st of last year. It has amazed me how well we can do on this system. It's healthy and offers so much variety!

Good luck in findin' foods that can offer you variety. I'm not much into bakin' but one of my daughters is! Always, there is someone who can offer suggestions...right in your own area.

From your height and weight, it sounds like you are already doin' really well. The fact that you have recognized that you were goin' through a wee slip back is wonderful. A fall is not a 'fail'!

Many blessings and Happy New Year 2003, Catherine!

n0ah
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 17:38

Plan: low carb
Stats: 136.6/129.4/119 Female 4 11
BF:
Progress: 41%

I hope you do not think you are the only one who has gone on atkins, lost a good amount of weight, took a little vacation from low carbing, and gained it all back. Well, you are not alone!!

I lost a lot of weight last year and then went off atkins for the summer and guess what?? yep - gained it all back. to make things worse, i went back on the diet in november and lost a lot of weight. then, went away for a few weeks for the holiday season and gained it all back. I WENT CARB CRAZY!!

sure, i am beating myself up about it. especially because i know how hard i worked for the weight to come off and how easy it is for the weight to come back on. i have decided that this is it!! i am not going to stray from this way of eating again. I MEAN IT!!

I am not sure how encouraging my words were, but i just wanted you to know that you are not alone.

p.s. i refuse to change my stats because i want to get back to the weight i was before the holidays. you know how obsessed we all are about the numbers.

Good Luck.
Lisa
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-03, 07:03

Catherine,

At this time of year, Herts is minging !!!
Ali=laughing
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-03, 07:07

BF:
Talking

Just come back to all these responses! Thank so much!

I really appreciated you taking the time to reply.

BTW, Ali, I love the word Minging! It has rubbed off on all my Greek friends here in Greece and in Cyprus. Very Ali G!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-03, 07:23

Yes it's excellent, describes all manor of things.
Don't know if you watched it, but it reminds me of a very drunk Jade in the Big Brother house.
She was classic...and now very rich !!

Take care
Ali