Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-03, 18:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 172/171/135
BF:
Progress: 3%
Question Not losing on induction

I have been on induction since 1/03/03 this is my 6th going on 7th day and I have not lost anything. I am going strictly by the book..only drinking water eating minimal veggies, although I do have some tomatoes...and trying to get plenty of meat. I am also exercising daily. I dont understand...i hear of people losing so much weight and every day at the gym it says the same thing. Any suggestions? The only thing I can think of is that I am on the birth control patch. Thats it...should I keep going or switch something around?

Thanks
Brooke
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-03, 18:49

Stats: 000/000/153
BF:2 much for now
Progress: 0%

Oh wow, this is my biggest fear! Anyone to help her????????????
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-03, 18:58

BF:

i thought that maybe it was because i have never been a meat eater so I have had to gradually work up to eggs, steak and pork chops...but im not eating bacon because it has sodium nitrate in it. My mom says keep going she is losing...maybe it will all come off next week
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-03, 19:02

Stats: 235/167/167 Female 167cm
BF:45%/25.5%/20%
Progress: 100%

Hi Brooke,

First of all don't worry....it will happen.

How about giving a bit more detail of you daily menu so we can see if there are any things which may be casuing a problem.

If you have been a yo-yo dieter in the past if may well be that your body is saying oh oh here we go again...what is she up to this time?

Hang in there, keep of the scales for at least a week...and you will be prleasantly surprised.

Also - take you measurements - all over. Sometimes we shrink without it showing on the scale.

HTH
Lesley
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-03, 19:08

Stats: 162/157/125 Female 5' 2"
BF:28%/28%/20%
Progress: 14%

Well...Let's start with some basic questions. The fact that you're working up to eating meat..does that mean you've been a vegetarian up to this point?

Can you give us some examples of what you've been eating, how much and when. Those tomatoes are generally not allowed if you are trying to do Atkins Induction, so that could be a problem. How much water are you drinking, or are you drinking other things?

You also mention the gym. Is this new? Have you just started exercising? Exersize creates muscle and muscle weighs more than fat, so in the beginning you could be just exchanging one for the other.

Let us know, and I'm sure we'll be able to help. We love offering suggestions!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-03, 19:18

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally posted by bwalls
i thought that maybe it was because i have never been a meat eater

This could very well be it. If you've been lacking in protein for a long time, your body could be using all you've been giving it to make some much needed repairs of muscle tissue and build more. You could be very well losing fat and adding muscle. Do you notice if your clothes are fitting looser? Have you taken any measurements? Muscle takes up less space than fat.
If this really is the case, then once your body has gotten back in shape from the protein deficiency, the weight will start coming off, but you will need to be patient while your body gets what it needs first.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 17:59

BF:

Thank you for all the feedback...here is what i usually eat

In the morning I have either eggs or 2 sausage patties, never both (I dont care much for eggs but I cant do sausage everyday)

That normally holds me until lunch when I will have a small salad with cucumbers, cheese and sometimes a tomatoe slice...I usually will also have some tuna salad or rolled up boars head thin sliced roast beef with lettuce around it...

For dinner I will have a small salad with cheese, cucumbers and sometimes a tomato slice with a piece of chicken, pork or some shrimp (tonight it was tuna patty with 2 deviled eggs)

Thats it...for a snack i might have a piece of celery with some cream cheese but I have found over the past couple of days I dont really need snack...I just dont feel hungry for a while.

I am only drinking water although I did try one atkins chocolate shake on Tuesday and have had one advantage bar. Also I discovered arizona diet tea made with Splenda and I had one of those yesterday. Also I always use just plain old vinegar and oil on my salad dressing.

I have just started exercising again and that has been only one and a half weeks now...weight lifting 3X a week for one hour and cardio for 45 mins 3 x's week.

Let me know if you see something that is a no no...I know that tomatoes are on the free list of veggies but only a slice or two a day..maybe its that.

Thanks
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 18:16

Stats: 000/000/153
BF:2 much for now
Progress: 0%

I am new also but I am thinking maybe too many veggies and not enough fat and protein. I read all the book. Anyone else have a thought on this?
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 19:50

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hmmm..

There's a couple of things that could be going on. First, it doesn't look like you're getting nearly enough calories. A rule of thumb is to try to get at least 12 times your goal weight in calories assuming that your goal weight is a reasonable one.
The other thing is artificial sweeteners; they stall a lot of people. But since you aren't eating many things (or eating them often) that have artificial sweeteners in them, my first guess would be not enough calories, coupled with your body building muscle before it starts letting go of the fat.
You don't need to be afraid of using full fat salad dressings, mayonnaise, butter and olive oil; they're a great way to get your calories up and they taste great.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 19:59

Stats: 162/157/125 Female 5' 2"
BF:28%/28%/20%
Progress: 14%

I don't think you are eating enough at all. I used fitday.com to tally up your carbs and calories for a typical day, and I couldn't make it get close to 1000 calories, or nearly enough carbs. You could be in starvation mode...in which case, you won't lose any weight.

I'd watch the quantity of vegetables you're eating, and back off on the tomato. Add some additional fat to your diet. How about some cooked veggies in butter? Careful with the cheese, too, you should limit that to only 3 oz. a day.

I'd read, or re-read, the Atkins induction rules, and follow it more closely. I know you said you are, but you need to add more variety and quantity to your diet.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 01:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

I think it's more likely to be the amount of cheese rather than two slices of tomato. Even so, it might just be a period of adjustment for you. Hang in there!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 06:40
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/170/140 Female 170cm
BF:
Progress: 25%

just a thought, but have you purchased the strips to test whether or not you are in ketosis? Maybe the atkins bar and shake are not allowing the weight loss, I think I read that we should steer clear of those until after induction?

I'm not sure...and quite new...just a couple of things that came to mind when reading through.

Hang in there - sounds like you are doing this as a twosome with your mom, which always makes things easier! Goodluck!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 16:28

BF:

wow...it just doesnt seem right to eat so much fat and still lose weight. It is hard to comprehend the concept but I will cut back on the cheese and limit the veggies while eating more meat and eggs. By the way are pork rinds ok to eat?
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 17:30

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Pork rinds are just meat (sort of ) and salt, so yes, they're okay. Of course, too much salt will cause water retention.

But I don't want to put too many more "no-no's" in this thread. It sure seems chock full of them.

Good luck. Hope you're drinking a ton of water. It helps flush out the system and aids greatly in fat loss.