Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-05-03, 05:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 130/122/110 Female 5 ft 3
BF:I wish I knew
Progress: 40%
Default For overeaters, don't calories count?

I know that Atkins warns against over-stuffing ourselves, but he also tells us that calorie-counting is not necessary. This is difficult for me to believe, especially since I am an avid overeater/binger. I'm afraid that my tendency to overeat will cause me to mis-judge my appetite and eat "just a little more" than I should.

So, in your opinion, would it be better to:

a) count calories and eat less than what my body will burn, but risking not eating enough fat.

b) don't count calories because eating a little more than my body needs is okay during induction since much of it is protein and fat.

I guess what I'm wondering is how to get my body into ketosis. I'm tempted to just not eat for a day and then start the Induction eating all over again for a "jump" start.

Also, I've read in this forum that not eating at least 20 grams of carbs may derail weightloss. Is this true?

Last edited by Hopeful : Sun, Jan-05-03 at 05:03.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-05-03, 06:46

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

If you are going thru Atkins induction and following to the T, you shouldn't need to count calories. The body has a "natural" tendancy to know when you've eaten "enough" fat, as in, you are likely not going to sit down and overeat fat because you will get nauseous. At the beginning, just focus on chosing the right foods, from the allowable list. When you get into ketosis, your appetite will go away, and you will have to remember not to skip a meal.

Whatever you do, don't not eat for a day thinking it will jump start you. Follow the plan to the T for induction and you should get a wonderful jump start, have a huge variety of foods available, and not feel hungry.

Later on, in 2 months or so, once you've settled in, you might want to examine your calories to see where you are at. There's plenty of time for that later on.

Good luck on induction!. Stick with it, you might just be surprised.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-05-03, 07:37
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Also, I've read in this forum that not eating at least 20 grams of carbs may derail weightloss. Is this true?
I second everything Angela has told you....she's exactly right. I wanted to address your question above a little more specifically. The thing is, that if you stay below 20g, you are probably not getting the fresh vegetables and fiber that you need to keep your body (and metabolism) healthy. Also, experience has shown that going below 20g does not speed weight loss in any way, and usually bogs it down. The lesson here is to keep weight loss at a maximum pace, make every carb count....in the form of fresh vegetables. Your body will love you for it!