Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-08, 18:25

Plan: LC w/o "counting" carbs.
Stats: 320/259/185 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default HEMP Protein

I bought a container of Hemp Protein powder today. The brand is "Living Harvest." Here's the link:

http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/...&prrfnbr=708933

Does anybody have any experience with this product? I am planning on using it to replace the very-expensive Atkins shakes for my lunches.

Seems like good stuff. I'm also curious to try the hemp milk.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-08, 20:40

Plan: Atkins-ish/IF-ish
Stats: 385/278/180 Female 5'10"
BF:something, maybe
Progress: 52%

Well, I purchased some hemp protein about a year ago or so. Sadly, I found it gritty and none too tasty, so I stopped using it.

I don't do shakes all that often, and have decided that when I do I prefer to make mine with a couple of eggs, some whey protein powder, cream, water and whatever flavoring I choose. That's pretty tasty and ends up being more filling than I found either the Atkins shakes or whey protein only shakes to be.

YMMV
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-08, 20:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakdryad
Sadly, I found it gritty and none too tasty, so I stopped using it.
DANG!! It sounded so good! It's just a small container...so I'll try it tomorrow and let you know what the flavour is like.

Knowing me, I'll end up mixing it with the Atkins shakes and spending TWICE the money....(insert "rolling eyes" smiley here.)
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-08, 21:56
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

If it tastes anything like the hemp torillas I bought... run! Blech, blech, blech!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-08, 01:32

Plan: Paleo+Atkins+DIY
Stats: 309/289/165 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 14%

I have tried the Nutiva Hemp protein in shakes and I like it. But I like Whey protein a little bit more
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-08, 14:12

BF:

OK....I tried it today....First off, I was terrified because not everyone is a fan...secondly, because I opened the container and it was green...but I persisted!!

I mixed 4 tsp. with 1/4 cup of frozen berries, 2/3 a cup of ice-cold water and 1/3 of a cup whipping cream and one tsp. Splenda.
Whizzed it all up and it was delicious!! Not "green" tasting at all...kind of nutty.

I will admit it was slightly gritty, especially when you got to the bottom of the glass....but totally "doable."

I feel healthier already!LOL!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-08, 11:23

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

Hemp is not a good alternative to animal derived protein powders like egg, whey, casein,beef..

The amino acid profile is not ideal (though it does contain all the essential amino acids, though in lower ratios than "meat based" proteins) and plant based proteins are not ideal..they are not as 'bioavailable'(there is that damn word again) as animal proteins.

Plus you will be getting a nice dose of proinflammatory omega 6's.

They do have some Omega 3's but not the preferred EPA/DHA.

But if you like it and it agrees with you, then take it for a spell and then change over to something else for a spell.

You will find all sorts of great advertising articles on hemp..because it is the hot thing in the market right now, but it will die off..just like every other hot supp that has come around over the past 30 years
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-08, 11:26

BF:
Progress:

Just to follow up here is an article from Sally Fallon from the Weston Price Foundation on Hemp.

Hemp: Not for Human Consumption
By Sally Fallon

A number of companies are now selling hemp oil, toasted and shelled hemp seeds and granola bars containing hemp seeds. This is not a good use for hemp. Hemp may be appropriate for domestic animals and birds, but it should not be used for human food. In China, where cultivation of hemp originated, hemp oil was used occasionally, but there are no references in the Chinese literature to the use of hemp seeds as food for human beings. (Simoons, Food in China, 1991)

Hemp oil has been promoted in recent years as a “heart healthy” oil that is rich in essential fatty acids and low in saturated fat. Hemp oil is indeed highly unsaturated, and this is exactly why it should be avoided. Hemp oil is over 75 percent polyunsaturated, containing about 55 percent omega-6 fatty acids and about 20% omega-3 fatty acids. It contains only about 10 percent saturated fatty acids and 10 percent monounsaturated fatty acids. It is, therefore, highly unstable and prone to oxidation; and the high content of linoleic acid makes it particularly unsuitable for human consumption. Diets containing an excess of polyunsaturated fatty acids, particularly omega-6 fatty acids, have been linked not only to heart disease but also to cancer and autoimmune disease.

An additional problem derives from the fact that hemp oil may contain traces of cannabinoids and these substances can then turn up in the urine of those who consume it. In one research project, seven adult volunteers purchased hemp oil from a health food store and ingested 15 milliliters each. Urine samples taken at 8, 24 and 48 hours after ingestion were positive for THC. (Journal of Analytical Toxicology October 1997 21(6):482-485.) If these volunteers had been obliged to give a urine sample to their employers, they would have failed their drug test.

Because hemp oil is highly unsaturated, it makes an excellent base for paints and varnishes. In fact, there is no need to consider hemp for human consumption except in small quantities for medicinal purposes. There are many good fats and oils that humans can use and there are many good industrial uses for all the by-products of the hemp plant. Let’s not make the same mistake with hemp that we have made with soy, by promoting its inappropriate use as a human food.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-08, 15:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gostrydr
But if you like it and it agrees with you, then take it for a spell and then change over to something else for a spell.
Well, DANG!! Thanks for all that information...I will take your advice...finish the container then move onto something else...anything you recommend that's not too costly?
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-08, 08:59

BF:
Progress:

Can you find a nice blend of casein, egg and whey..Problend 55, Mothers Milk..look for sales or find somewhere other than Whole Foods for your supps..there are some good bargains out there in some independent chains

There are egg white protein powders out there, but I like the whole egg for a protein source personally.