Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-08, 17:03

Plan: Lean protein-veggies
Stats: 150/112.2/115 Female 162 cm
BF:
Progress: 108%
Default Omega 3 for depression??

Hi everybody!!!! I just wanted to know if someone is taking Omega 3 and if so, Does it help you to deal with depression? I am asking because I have
a tendency to suffer from depression and I do not want to take antidepressants again.... Two years ago I took fluoxetine( Prozac) for 4 months and I gained like 10 pounds because I felt very very hungry ....During the first month on Prozac I did not feel hungry at all but then I was hungry all the time...As far as I know some antidepressants may increase or decrease basal metabolic rate without changing caloric intake and They may affect hormonal changes and increase appetite....

I am wondering if omega 3 really works to deal with depression because I am afraid of regainning weight...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-08, 17:34

Plan: Healthy moderate carb
Stats: 215/171/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I have never noticed it being a help with depression or don't remember reading about it helping for that either. I take SAM-e and others take 5HTP for help with depression and anxiety. Maybe Google these and see what you think. Good Luck!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-08, 17:58

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 194/194/175 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 0%

I have heard that it does. I started taking it with my new diet two weeks ago for cardiac support. I don't think it would hurt to try it. There are other benefits you can reap so go for it.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-08, 18:20

Plan: Test-Test-Test w/insulin
Stats: 170/145/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:approx 31%
Progress: 100%

Try Vitamin D. It definitely has a positive effect on mood, and there is some interesting new research suggesting it may improve blood sugar and decrease insulin resistance.

1000 IU is a good dose.

I started it because my endocrinologist recommended I try it, and I immediately noticed the mood effects.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-08, 21:32
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

When I began experiencing symptoms of depression due to low thyroid, one of my doctors told me to increase my Omega 3 fish oil to 4000 mg/day. I don't know if it helped the depression or not, because soon after, my other doctor increased my dosage of supplementary thyroid.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-08, 23:29

Plan: Zone
Stats: 205/212/150 Male 5' 9"
BF:34/26/12
Progress: -13%

I've heard that St. John's Wort relieves depression just as well as drugs like Prozac and Paxil except for one difference: it does not give you the negative side effects! So if none of the nutritional therapies seem to work or even if you want to supplement them with the corrective action of an antidepressant then you may want to look into St. John's Wort rather than jump into a synthetic medication regimen.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-08, 23:29

Plan: Nutritarian
Stats: 248/208/168 Male 5'9"
BF:Waist 46?/34/?
Progress: 50%

Early morning sunlight can help. If you are on shift work or surviving the winter solstice you can get a Day Light. Fish oil (at the 1000 mg EPA level) and regular exercise can also help. Tryptophan may be of small benefit.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-08, 12:08

Plan: M&E
Stats: 199/147.5/120 Female 61in
BF:
Progress: 65%

yes it does help me i take 2000 in the am then 2000 pm before bed.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-08, 09:54

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Nothing has no side effects

St. John's wort has a LOT of side effects and can, for some people, be even more trouble than prescription meds. It makes me wickedly sun-sensitive, for one, and it affects some liver enzymes that shift how other substances are metabolized and can thereby affect blood levels of several different maintenance medications. Plus, it's not covered by insurance.

Fish oils may support mood. 5-HTP affects one of the mood biochemicals. D3 helps. Exercise helps. Sunshine probably helps, but I can take that for granted in NC. People north of here have to work at getting sun more than I do.

But OTOH, depression is a disease, with long-term secondary effects such as cardiac problems, that appear to ride on the depression itself. Not treating it effectively is not much different from hoping tuberculosis will go away, except that depression is not currently believed to be contagious (but who knows what we will learn before we're all dead). If OTC and "natural" stuff doesn't work, please reconsider your stance before giving away too much of your life to a disease you don't necessarily have to suffer from.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-08, 16:38

Plan: Zone
Stats: 205/212/150 Male 5' 9"
BF:34/26/12
Progress: -13%

That's some good information cs_carver. I guess one always needs to remember that just because something is more natural rather than a competing refined extract of pharmaceutical quaility doesn't necessarily always make it harmless or even better than a pharmaceutical drug. I would still consider it a worthy competitor to some of the synthetic drugs put out by big pharma though...haven't really done much research on antidepressents myself yet. Maybe I will now just to have the knowledge in reserve.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-08, 18:15

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Fish oil is often use as an adjunct to anti-depressants. I have a close family member who was told to take 3000 mg a day to help them get through until their lamictal kicked in (it takes quite a while to get it up to a therapeutic dose). It does work for many people, it is inexpensive, and has lots of other good health benefits. It is definitely worth a try.

Just keep in mind that if this doesn't help, there is nothing wrong with trying a different anti-depressant. There are quite a few on the market now that don't have the side effects. The main thing is to take care of yourself.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-08, 04:08
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Fish oil supplementation can definitely help with depression. Read here for a bunch of research on it:
http://www.oilofpisces.com/depression.html
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-08, 07:21

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

I haven't noticed any difference from my fish oil supplement, but I get a HUGE benefit from Vitamin D in generous amounts and plenty of B6.