Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 14:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/214.5/150
BF:
Progress: 8%
Angry 4 weeks and about to quit !!

Hi and Happy New Year

I do hope that I get some replies to this soon...sorry its so long, but I'm a long way away from English speaking folks !!

I'd been doing the Dr A. induction for 2 weeks - only lost a couple of pounds - and was really disheartened because of the quite big initial loss I'd envisaged!! After 1 week induction I had not lost anything - so I cut out the salad - still nothing !!

Asked for advice here - it was suggested eating 5 small meals a day (my husband had thought that I might not be eating enough -but I was not that hungry and thats a FIRST by the way), but still nothing much loss wise.

Over Xmas and New Year I did have a few glasses of wine (on the 2 nights) but no chocolate, no pudding, custard, mince pies etc which I normally might have indulged in - now I wish I had !!

I don't want to give up - I am concerned about portion sizes -today for lunch I ate plain fried pork +_ 245gm - no salad nor anything else. I was quite satisfied but after I'd started I couldn't stop and ended up finishing it all !! Tonight I am still completely full and feeling quite ill and bloated which is the first time this has happened.

I am 5.6" and very close to 200 lbs so I do have more than a fair amount to lose (target 150) - I know the more overweight you are the quicker it goes in the beginning but why is nothing happening ? I have a family reunion in Scotland in 7 weeks followed by a trip back to South Africa in July (was there for 22 years) and I just WON'T GO unless I can shed this weight.......I don't want to disappoint my husband so please help me - I must be doing something wrong.
Here's a typical day:-
Breakfast - 2 eggs with bacon (and I HATE eggs !!)
& Tea (ginsing,blackcurrant and vanilla) with single cream

Lunch - just pork strips as described above

Supper - Steak (small) or chicken with salad
& Tea as above with cream

Although its very difficult to get the necessary vitamins etc here I am taking loads of Vitamin C, plus a multivitamin, Chromium and Lecithin but I can't get Stevia so have been using Canderel (only use this once every few days). Every sweetener here seems to contain Aspartame....... I think I may have to order something else via the web as we live in a very small village about 1 & 1/2 hrs from Amsterdam (not far by US standards I know !!).
My cholesterol is in the region of 270 and I am also anxious to get that down.
Really desperate for some feedback
Val Dones
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 14:10
Registered Member

BF:
Default Oh and I also have.......

Oh and I also have slight hypothyroid !!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 14:11

Stats: 266/197/168 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

You don't mention water. Are you drinking a minimum of 8 8oz glasses. I find that water vital to weight loss. I have been drinking 100-130 oz. somewhere I read that you should drink have your body weight, so if that is true you should be drinking 100 oz.

My personal opinion is you need to eat the veggies.

Good Luck, don't quit it just takes time.

Kathy

Last edited by mkathy6 : Fri, Jan-03-03 at 14:13.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 14:15
Registered Member

BF:
Default Hi and thanks

HI and thanks
Am trying to drink MORE water - but I hate all that running to the loo - although I know its good for me !! I had also read what you said so I am trying to drink half my required body weight.......
Really appreciate the reply
Val
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 14:21
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I'm with Kathy on this one. You are supposed to be eating between 2-3 cups of induction allowed veggies daily.

http://atkinscenter.com/Archive/2001/12/15-464579.html

Also you say you have been on induction for two weeks now. Your total goal of weightloss is 50 lbs and usually we lose 10% of that during induction so 5 lbs would be average. A couple lbs may just be the way your body works.

Have you taken measurements? That is really astounding when you low carb. Shows and feels much better faster then anyway I have ever eaten.
Do you feel healthy?
Do you still feel bloated (this went away for me and I love it)?

You aren't cheating exactly but in a way you are because you are supposed to be eating something daily and you are disregarding what works for most if not all of us.

Eat veggies, be healthy and thin will follow!

FYI - Also, if you don't like eggs stop eating them. There is more to breakfast then breakfast foods.

All the best.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-04-03, 00:58

Stats: 234/245/145 Female 5'7"
BF:99%I'm pretty sure
Progress: -12%

Don't Quit!

Well, I don't mean to sound repetitive, but MEASUREMENTS! Absolutely.

And water....running to the "loo" as you put it so delitcately, is the best sign you are doing it right! You need to get over that it's an inconvenience at times and embrace that your fat is leaving your body! That's how it escapes, so I'm totally glad to go! I know every time that I go back to induction, the first few days I have to run to the "loo" frequently. It kind of tapers off after that. But when you first start the diet expect for it to be like that off and on for a good month. Your body is adjusting.

Good luck!

#7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-04-03, 09:50

Plan: 60 carbs a day
Stats: 155/140/125
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default "NEVER QUIT!"

Hi...

Just happened upon your post and couldn't resist putting in my "two cents"...

I've been thin and overweight, and prefer being thin...and being able to go places as you mentioned with confidence...

...wear stylish clothes

...feel good about myself...be in control

Mid October when invited to be the Maid of Honor at a friends wedding, was the moment of truth for me. I shudder when I look at the pictures...

I began a sensible eating plan after reading several books on the subject of low carbing...and the difference that two and a half months made in my appearance is startling!

I kept it very simple. Allowing myself 60 carbs a day...when I reach that point the ingestion of carbs stops...and I snack on protein.

Rather than record the foods that I was eating I wrote down their carb values as I went along...some days I didn't reach half of my quota...some days I was limited to chicken breasts or liver cut up in bite sized chunks to sanck on in the evening because my limit had been reached at dinner!

I hate water...and drank diet pop...tea with sweetner...coffee with sweetner...soda water with sweetner ...etc...no juices. If I drank water it was with lemon and lots of sweetner.

Bread was only touched ...not eaten...to make sandwiches for family...in any form. No potatos, pasta,corn,beans or rice. They were off limits.

Fruit was limited to one piece a day... half a banana with sour cream...if I was unable to keep my mind off of bananas. A rare treat! Limited my fruit to grapefruit, peaches, strawberries, canteloupe...all the low carb fruits.

At first the portions that I consumed of chicken, roast, bacon, etc., were huge! But that was O K. It seemed like I had to go through that stage before my mind and my body adjusted and required less. It's my only explanation. When I started out it seemed that all that I thought about was food.

Cabbage was my friend! A big pot of soup made with meat and cabbage and tomatoes...a few raisins... or stuffed peppers, rolled cabbage with hamburger, a stew with meat and carrots...was always handy...cooked the night before. Ate lots of veggies...cauliflower, brussel sprouts... Chicken soup with lots of garlic and onions ...staved off the cravings as well.

I snacked on green or red peppers and creamcheese sprinkled with soy sauce...celery and carrots dipped in dressing...

It worked ...Recently when faced with personal challenges I strayed off the path...the Holidays didn't help...did a fair share of entertaining...but QUIT never! Not until the thin me comes forward.

Sharing your experiences does help! There are so many wonderfully supportive and caring people to be found at this site. It's important to communicate your feelings. Recognize the "traps" that we set for ourselves and that others set for us!

Weight loss is inevitable with a sensible a combination of limited caloric intake...lack of carbohydrates ... and excercise..

"It will not happen overnight!" this is the message that sustained me. My common sense told me that my goal had to be reasonable. My reward was being able to tie my shoes with out puffing. The seat belt in the car was easier to buckle. My legs crossed with ease. These rewards came after two months not two weeks.

My scale went haywire...and that was a good thing ...I find that it's better not to weigh myself. I don't test to see if I am in Ketosis. I just keep it simple.

Don't give up...give this way of eating a chance. The weight will come off.......

Gwen
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-04-03, 10:04

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/198.6/170 Female 67inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

I just have a sec, I gotta get to work, but I had to check in

Please don't give up, do eat some veggies. Someone else mentioned something about not limiting yourself to traditional meals (i.e. breakfast can be more than bacon and eggs) Sometimes I have really cold lc chicken salad for breakfast, it is sooooo good.
You have already found that this is a great site, keep looking around, different ideas will 'click' for you and you will get on with this woe and it will be great.
later