Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-03, 19:19

Plan: Curves/Atkins
Stats: 155/133/115
BF:38
Progress: 55%
Wink New Year Newbie

Hi everyone. I'm brand new to low carb eating, a former cynic - but am willing to give this a try. I have several male friends who have had great success with the Atkins diet. When they told me what and how much they ate, I was absolutely cynical. There was no way my body could eat that much and lose weight!

I'm 49 years old and have struggled with my weight since puberty. For the most part of my adult life I've weighed between 106 and 135. I'm 5'4''. I am most comfortable between 112 and 118 pounds. Two years ago, I quit smoking after a 31 year addiction. Within a year and half of my quit I shot up from 115 to over 150 pounds - the most I've weighed in my life.

In my younger days, I would have fasted for quick weight loss. In July, however, I began an arduous exercise program and a balanced but low calorie, low fat diet. The results were painfully slow. I realize that my age and my quitting smoking have both affected my metabolism but holy moley! I exercised two hours a day, seven days a week, eating like a bird, but only lost 15 pounds in three months. Taking a break mid November, I gained five pounds back and I knew after Christmas I would have to try something new.

So here I am following Dr. Atkins induction plan. I've lost 5 pounds since I began last Friday (the same amount I gained since November). I'm ecstatic with the results but I have a couple of questions.

1) Is it normal to feel light-headed? I felt better after dinner but was very dizzy while I was making the tuna salad.
2) Is any other newbie out there interested in the buddy system?
3) When one has reached his/her target weight and is on maintenance, what happens if one takes a day of rest from the low carbs. Can I ever eat a pizza again?

Thanks ahead of time for your imput. May the force be with you!

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-03, 20:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/163/133
BF:40%
Progress: 33%

Hi, I'm Sarah and I'm new to this forum thing also. I thought it might help to keep me motivated to find some buddies that are going through the same thing I am. I have tried Atkins before and been successful. I put on all of my excess weight in the last 2 years. I quit smoking, got married, doubled the number of children in my home (from 3 to 6!), and started eating a lot of fast food. That's all it took. Anyway, I'm determined now to stick with this and shed all of this excess weight. I'd love to have some buddies. Tell me how I can help you.
Sarah
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-03, 20:52

Smile Consider yourself buddied!

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for responding. I've just added you to my buddy list (you're my first!). I'm not sure what that means, but I guess we'll find out. My experience quitting smoking though taught me that buddies can be life-savers. I'm looking forward to keeping on track with you.

I'll be checking this site out every evening for awhile. I'll say hi when I see you, and of course if either of us need moral support, we'll be there. I guess that's it for tonight.

#4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-03, 20:54
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 210/191/155
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Hi Janetk

I think you will find the answers to a lot of your questions in Dr. Atkins book. If you purchase it make certain to get the latest version. I usually read it nightly before bed (hoping everything will sink in). I experienced the light headedness also, I found that making certian to eat every 4 hours(don't go any longer than 6 waking hours without eating) helped me get through the transition period. Also, right now if I need a piece of pizza, which is usually in my house at least once a week, I eat the sauce and cheese off the top. Not the real thing but close. Eventually you will be able to eat a piece now and then, but Dr. Atkins suggest this way of eating is a long term behavior modification change.
Once you have completed two weeks of induction, then you gradually raise your carb intake to find your critical carb level for losing. By the way, I am eventually going to try to make a pizza with low carb flour. YUM! who knows mabey it will taste ok. Are you still exercising two hours a day? Drinking your daily intake of H2O really helps. Log on to fitday.com for a really great website for tracking food intake. It is really cool. I found a lot of great information from this site. Scan through the journals, it helps to read of others success. Good luck and Happy New Year!
Lucylu
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-03, 21:15
Registered Member

Ok, I've added you to my buddy list also. I have no idea what that does but I guess we'll figure it out eventually
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 06:12

Default Thanks Lucylu

Thanks for your feedback Lucy. I am trying to graze and eat something every four hours. Yesterday, when I felt so light-headed I had past that point by an hour or two.

I am back on the treadmill. so to speak but I am not exercising two hours a day. I think there may be such a thing as too much exercise. My former routine was always the same and I believe my body and metabolism became acccustomed to that and adjusted itself accordingly.

I have just joined up with Curves and I will try their circuit training which is half hour a day. I will try to do that three to five days a week. In order to trick my body, I will also add the crosstrainer, treadmill and swimming to my routine two to three times a week. I also plan to do a quick first thing in the morning routine of sit-ups and push ups.

So far, so good. I lost another half pound this morning and that was after feeling very, very guilty about the mayo in my tuna salad last night!

Thanks again!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 06:14

Wink One question Sarah

Did you say six kids? Did you have triplets? Wow - regardless! (oops... I guess that's two questions and one statement.)

Last edited by janetk : Thu, Jan-02-03 at 06:16.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 08:28

Stats: 186/186/120 Female 5'2" Inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

JanetK,

I have done the Lo-Carb Atkins diet before. I will tell you that, yes, you will feel light headed for at least the first 2 weeks. That is actually the withdrawl that you are feeling from the Carbs (ugly buggers they are). I know exactly what you are talking about because, I, too, have quit smoking and have balloned up 60 lbs. I have decided that I am tired of being called "pregnant" so I came back on. It will not be as effective for a woman as a man just because of our chemical make up (baby makers) but don't get discouraged. I didn't see much of a change on the scale but I REALLY noticed a difference in my clothes. Don't pay attention to the scale, you will know if you are in ketosis because there are some very noticeable signs. Keep it up and you will be fine but from what you are telling me, COMPLETELY normal!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 18:02

Smile Smurfy Nothing Can be Harder than Quitting Smoking

That was the hard part! Losing this extra weight should be a peice of cake.... oops I mean a slice of steak. Thanks for responding and good luck to you.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 18:51
Registered Member

HI,
No not triplets. I had three children and married a man who has three children. They all live with us. Kinda like the Brady Bunch except that Carol didn't work full time and she had Alice!!!!!

Today is my first day back LCing, so far so good! Hope you're having a great day.

Sarah
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 04:16

Cool Reply to Mrs. Sarah Brady Bunch

Triplets or no triplets you have your hands full. Good luck with Atkins. I'm still feeling light-headed. It took me twice as long to put away the Christmas tree and decorations. However, stepping on the scale I've lost six and half pounds in one week which makes it endurable for at least another day. One day at a time.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 10:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/189/140
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default HI!

I just started on 12/30/2002...you think YOU have questions! So far I think I am handling it ok. I didn't have much of a fascination with most cereals, breads, etc. Potatoes are my downfall.
I am REALLY testing my willpower there. One problem is I don't have a good scale at home so I am judging by the way my clothes fit and the way I look. I can already se my face and arms slimming down but I keep wondering if I am doing this right.
I have been eating the "acceptable" foods, and keeping a journal of what I eat but I am still afraid I am under estimating the carbs.
I could use a friend to keep me in line!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 18:44
Registered Member

Wow Janetk way to go! Sounds like you had a great week. This is day 2 for me. So far so good except for the headache. I think that's pretty common though in the first week.

KMWebb- welcome and good luck! My biggest downfall is chocolate! I try to just not have any around me, makes it easier to resist

Sarah
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 18:57

Post KMWEBB

I've added you to my buddy list. This support forum is great to get information from experienced low carbers BUT for the day to day stuff, I have more in common with people like you and me. We're beginning this journey together. Using your clothes to gauge the success of this is a good idea and you're lucky not to be a slave to your scale. I'm impressed that you already can tell the difference. My "fat clothes" are not feeling as tight, I think. Yay!
I also am monitoring every swallow I take on fitday.com. I'm finding it difficult to get the carbs up to 20 even though I'm eating salad and the allotted veggies. I just don't like having those for breakfast - which I don't usually eat. I'm also horrified by the high fat gram count - particularly the saturated fats.

Today I don't feel so light headed but my stomach is feeling queasy. I'm sure it's all the fat I've eaten.

Still, I've lost 6 and a half pounds in one week. I am also exercising for at least a half hour every day. I started low carb eating on my own last Friday but went to Atkins induction for a more structured plan. I will follow through at least for another day.
I'm not sure if this is the forum for a day by report. Should we send this by email instead?

I'll stay in touch, my friend.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 19:26

Smile Sarah I love chocolate too!

And candy and cake and cookies and pies.... Not to mention pizza and pasta, crusty fresh bread.... Mmm! You're right Sarah; the best away to deal with our addictions is to stay away from all those goodies. Hope your headache passes quickly.