Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-28-02, 20:11

Plan: Atkins`
Stats: 325/325/200
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question What makes you lose weight?

Hello all!
What makes you lose weight on a low-carb diet? There are two major emphasis that I can see: the fact that low-carb food...fats & protien are satiating, and have the over all effect of reducing the amount or calories of food you eat. Is this what makes you lose weight on low-carb? Can you lose weight even if you maintain a "high calorie" diet when eating very low carb?

The other aspect is the metabolic phenomena...ketosis and burning fat...is this what makes you lose weight? Do both factors contribute to weight loss? Which factor is more important?

Day 2 of Atkins...Shelly
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-28-02, 21:13

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'd say it's a mixture of both and a measure of hormonal control that just isn't available when you simply 'cut calories' and 'watch fat intake' a la low cal / low fat dieting.

LC allows you to control your blood sugar and consequently your cravings and mood swings. There are no highs and lows with your blood sugar as with low calorie eating - so there are no feelings of 'I have to eat or I'm going to pass out' or 'I'm so hungry I could eat a ____ (fill in the blank)'. Controlling blood sugar and insulin puts the body in a favourable position to burn fat and an unfavourable one to store it.

It's a win win situation. Yes calories do count - eating 4000 calories a day the average person is not going to lose fat, but eating 1000 calories a day that same average person is not going to lose fat either. They might lose some weight at first - but sustained fat loss requires a healthy, nourished body.

HTH
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-02, 05:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 144/142/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 11%

I vote re-read the book. I notice on your profile that you have read the new diet revolution book, and the answer you are seeking is clearly stated in the first chapter.
Bamalady74
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-02, 09:05

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I'd like to add one more thing to what Nat said. The metabolic advantage that Dr. Atkins speaks of is both control of insulin production (no excess insulin, no fat storage) and also that your body expends more energy (burns more calories) using fat for energy than carbs. Now, Dr. Atkins clearly states that the metabolic advantage is not to be used as a license to gorge yourself on low or no carb foods and that a person following his plan should eat only until satsified, not stuffed, but many people find it difficult to eat enough calories when low carbing because ketosis naturally suppresses appetite. There will always be those on extreme opposites of the spectrum; those that eat too few calories and those that eat too many. Both will cause problems with weight loss but in different ways which is where the guidline to eat roughly 12 times your goal weight in calories comes in. In his book, Dr. Atkins also says that most women can lose weight on 1,800 calories per day and most men on 2,000. This is only a guideline, though, and most will have to tweak the plan to find the right level of carbs and calories for themselves.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-04-03, 12:20

Plan: scaresdale and now Protien power
Stats: 160/137/128
BF:
Progress: 72%

Wow thanks for that last post.. I have been trying to figure my low carb way out.. have lost 21 lbs and now working on last 11 and stalled for 11 weeks now.. I think itis portion control and to much nuts and cheese and sugar free fudge.. GESH if I can get over this after the holidays but did cheat on good things. LOL.. So I am trying to find portion control and reading a book cause I hate counting calories and my body at soon to be 50 this month says I can't handle the mother overload in fats and calories.. But I can eat more fats than I have in years and be ok.. I might add.. So trying to find that balance is tough but I am getting closer I think.. I can have a wol on protien, cheese, vegs, and fruits and eggs and then an occasional sugar free fudge or ice cream if I watch my carbs... I guess for me is finding my favorites in substitutes. and am... so yes this is a way of life for me and down to the last stretch and trying to find my balance... Thanks for your post..
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-04-03, 15:09

Plan: Atkins`
Stats: 325/325/200
BF:
Progress: 0%

You're right, I do need to re-read. Thinking back, it's been 2 years since I read the book thoroughly. I've finished one week on Atkins now, fairly successfully. New Year's Eve....well...I goofed. But, I've decided that even if I do goof up I'm going to keep on trying. This is a great site and It's a BIG help to me--both the information and reading others posts. The secret for me seems to be making sure I have the food I can eat available when I get hungry, and this is a challenge, but the ideas at this site have helped alot.

Shelly