Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-07, 22:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 159/124/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 103%
Default Oh no she didn't!

Okay , you're not going to believe this. We had a Staff Appreciation Tea at work today and I went in thinking I would get some tea and spend a lilttle time with my co-workers. I had prepared myself for what I might find in there. I figured I'd see some tasty desserts and other sugar filled dishes , and I was right. Well, everyone at work knows I'm doing Atkins and I was sitting with my buddies when another co-worker comes by with a plate full of pastries. She said my name, I turned to look at her, and she puts the plate about a foot from my face saying MMM, MMMM, MMMMM, all the while moving it it in a circular motion in front of me. Can you believe it? She was teasing me with a plate full of crap. I was in shock! How can someone do something so insensitive? I thought it was the rudest thing ever! I could tell everyone at the table felt uncomfortable with what she'd done. Immediately after she sat down (which was about 6 seconds later), I stood up next to her, put my arms above my head, and spun around in front of her saying MMM, MMM, MMMM. I felt bad for doing that since she's a bit heavy, but hey, she started it. I think she got the message too. Everyone at the table laughed and the woman who had teased me seconds earlier said "Oh, you got me."
I was really offended by what she did, but I'm over it now. I thought I'd share, as I'm sure many of you have had folks do or say weird things like that simply because you're trying to better yourself. Oh well, I'll just keep on doing what I'm doing and let them keep eating their junk.

Last edited by dan's mom : Tue, Dec-18-07 at 23:19.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-07, 22:53

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 310/270/220 Male 6'-0"
BF:it is for now
Progress: 44%

I am amazed at some of the stories like this I've read on this forum. I am so thankful I have supportive friends. I'm glad you handled it without too much drama and were able to let it go. You seem to have a very good attitude about it. Thanks for sharing.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-07, 22:56
Registered Member

Stats: 225/180/150 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 60%

My daughter has had friends actually try to pry her mouth open and put ice cream in it. People are nuts (of course, with my daughter, it was teens).
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-07, 00:28
Registered Member

Stats: 190/140/145 Male 5'-5"
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan's mom
I stood up next to her, put my arms above my head, and spun around in front of her saying MMM, MMM, MMMM.

Way to go Sandra. I only wish I could have seen it.

I heard similar comments during my weight loss and for a few months after I reached my current weight. I just ignored them. Nobody says anything anymore.

On a related note, I recall that during my weight loss two people from work underwent a gastric bypass and also lost loads of weight. It didn't last though as they eventually returned to eating what made them overweight in the first place. That is one more thing that keeps me focused on staying on plan and making this a life change.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-07, 06:00
Sugar Free & Sober!

Plan: Atkins/maintenance
Stats: 186/155/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 67%

It happens to me a lot.
I work with several young men and they tease me a lot about the way I eat.
I take it all in fun but yes, it is very inconsiderate.
On my birthday the other day, they cut a big square of a brownie and put a big spoon of whipped cream on it and gave it to me, set it down right in front of me and sang happy birthday. I quickly put it in the med room but later, went and had a big bite out of it before I threw it away.
Yesterday, it was a big cup cake. I did just push it aside, never touching it again.
I don't think they realize how hard it is to resist things like that.
At least you did resist. That should make you very proud of yourself.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-07, 07:19
Think Pink

Plan: ♥Calorie Counting
Stats: 265/195/175 Female 5' 10"
BF: a few
Progress: 78%

UNBELIEVABLE!! My "close" friend is the same way - jealousy.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-07, 07:22

Stats: 231/204/130 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

OK - that is so rude! I can't believe that someone (an adult) would be like that. Some people are strange.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-07, 08:32

Stats: 234/141.8/149 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 108%

People never cease to amaze me.

I think you handled the situation beautifully!! Well done! I imagine she'll think twice before she pulls a stunt like that again. I know I would if I were her! LOL
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-07, 08:55

Stats: 248/149.2/148 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

Amazing isnt it....a clearly overweight woman dances before you with a plate of goodies, trying to"tempt" you to eat like she does hence look like she does.... From your stats Id assume a sz 4 or 6....its simply amazing....she was the punchline for her own joke...but I dont think she got it...

Remember the commercial where people wore their donuts or cinnamon buns on the backsides....kinda reminds me of that commercial
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-07, 09:25

Plan: Atkins (What Else??)
Stats: 245/143/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 102%

From the sounds of it, I would say the woman who did this to you is insecure with herself. You stated she's heavy. Odd as this may sound, by her trying to belittle you in front of your other co-workers (who I'm sure were also partaking in the treats), her intention was to get the others to join her. It backfired on her. When others are insecure they try to make themselves feel better by negatively commenting about something another person is doing that they wish they themselves could do. Take it with a grain of salt...you handled it very well
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-07, 10:50
Registered Member

Stats: 241/185/175 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 85%

We had a staff wide Harassment training class the other week. At the end of the class I look over at my heavy set buddy and comment.

"You better stop chasing me around the office with twinkies or else!"

Well the company president was sitting right behind us and burst out into laughter. Apparently two fat guys cashing each other around the office with twinkies is a side splitting mental image. That of course attracted the lawyers attention who was teaching the class.

Turns out she was very not amused by my buddies twinkie exploits or the occasional random snickers bar drops he makes on my desk.

Guy's probably lucky he's my friend because the lawyer and the president were talking possible harassment due to my protected class status.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-07, 11:04

Stats: 248/149.2/148 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

<eye rolling >
at my heaviest I can assure you I never wanted my weight to be criteria for "protected class status"...good grief...we live in a culture of "offense"....talk abt a litagous "victim" culture run amok
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-07, 11:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: 169/162/145 Female 5' 6"
BF:plenty
Progress: 29%

We had a Christmas Open House/staff appreciation last Friday. I was so proud of myself. I didn't even think twice about eating any of my favorites (FUDGE!!). I simply put some meat and a few slices of cheese on my plate. I did get a few strange glances from some people, but nothing like what you got.

By the way... our Christmas Bonus this year was a gift certificate to the local butcher. How perfect is that?
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-07, 11:16

Plan: lowcarb/high fat/Failsafe
Stats: 280/245/150 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonahsafta
<eye rolling >
at my heaviest I can assure you I never wanted my weight to be criteria for "protected class status"...good grief...we live in a culture of "offense"....talk abt a litagous "victim" culture run amok
Nah, people really are that offensive and out of control.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-07, 11:34
Registered Member

Stats: 251/194/160 Female 5'7.5
BF:
Progress: 63%

Some people....