Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Were you able to stick to your 'game plan' for handling holiday eating?
Yes! 100% LC all the way, baby! 13 23.64%
Pretty much, just a few exceptions. 7 12.73%
Eh... could have been better, but could have been worse. 20 36.36%
Forget it. I tossed LC out the window. 16 29.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-02, 17:43
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default The Holidays: How Did You Do?

So: the holidays are wrapping up (no pun intended. ) Did you have a 'game plan' for handling the holidays, and were you able to stick to it? Or did you say, 'to heck with it?'

I was in the 'to heck with it' category. I went back to visit my parents for Christmas. It's more than just the temptation of the ubiquitous junk food: there's something about going 'home' that makes me forget my current adult state and revert to being a teenager. That old feeling that I had when I was a kid - the feeling that I should just bury myself in food - comes back. I didn't bother fighting it, since I was only there for 72 hours, anyway. Food was always an interesting family issue, and Christmas doesn't seem like the right time to get into a food fight.

...so I said, 'to heck with it.' I'm back on track now.

Last edited by Kristine : Fri, Dec-27-02 at 21:53.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-02, 18:03

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

I love polls! I wanted to answer this one but there's no right answer for me !!

Did I eat things I wouldn't regularly?
Yep.

Did I workout?
Yep.

Did I gain any nasty water weight?
Nope - actually lost about 3 lbs of it and had it take a new friend with it.

Do I consider the past week 'sticking to plan'? I guess so. I think it's time to change the Hodge Podge Plan to "Maintenance" - Thanks, Kristine

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-02, 20:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/157/125 Female 5' 2"
BF:28%/28%/20%
Progress: 14%

I'd like to tell myself that I was staying pretty close to plan, and did stay on plan 2/3's of each day, but in reality I totally tossed it out.

I drank, ate and had a good time. I did minimize, and maybe that's some consolation, I could have been much worse.

However, I'm really ready to start tomorrow as a new day, on induction again. No more parties to go to and I'm staying home on New Years.

I'm actually looking forward to no temptation.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-02, 21:57
Forum Moderator

BF:

Nat: Congrats on sweeping away a few pounds! By 'sticking to plan', I meant however someone planned on handling the holidays, not necessarily their LC plan. I just went back and edited my post, but I can't edit the question. *shrug* Oh well.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Dec-28-02, 10:41

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

... and I can't help you with the editing anymore ! But I can answer the poll now!

Nat
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-28-02, 10:47

Plan: atkins/somers/whatever
Stats: 193/149/154 Female 5 foot, 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 113%

I baked an Atkin's banana bread loaf with the best of intentions.... too bad I ate about 1/3 of the loaf (kinda negates the reason for eating lo-carb bread, huh!?!?) and.. I ate 6 m&m's. Not TOO bad???
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-28-02, 11:00
Forum Moderator

BF:

>>"... and I can't help you with the editing anymore ! "

I know, I asked you, then deleted it. I forgot.

*sigh* I'm still paying for that Xmas junk food. How is it that the human intestinal canal is capable of turning just two days worth of flour and sugar into solid rock? I better pick up more psyllium at the store today.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Dec-28-02, 18:05

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Overall I did well except for one meal where low carb pretty much went out the window from appetizers to dessert (Christmas dinner at my dad's). I'm back on track but still dealing with the carb cravings my indescretion caused. Drinking plenty of water, taking chromium and staying the course.
At least I won't have to deal with the temptations at work with the "please eat all my goodies that I don't want" treats brought in after the holdays as I'm on medical leave yet for a little over 2 weeks.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-02, 12:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Thumbs up I lost....

I weighed in this morning and am happy to report that I lost another 2 pounds...OVER CHRISTMAS!

Pardon me for bragging, but I'm in uncharted waters here. I've always gained weight through the holidays, so this is good stuff for me.

I also got my cholesterol numbers from my doctor over the weekend, and mine is 159. My "bad" cholesterol is 105, which he referred to as phenominal.

It's all good.

Donald
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 05:51

Plan: low-carb Ali style
Stats: 175/167.5/145 Female 5ft 7inches
BF:No idea
Progress: 25%

Kristine,
I was in the "to heck with it" categorie. The Xmas season for me started at the beginning of December, right through to New Years Eve. Parties & get2gethers with friends every weekend before the big day and the usual foods during Xmas itself.
I weighed in this morning and I've gained 7lbs !!!!!!!!!!
Serves me right....my own fault...just like the hangover I'm still suffering from since New Year .....
So...it's back to work today and back to lc'ing also.
A new year a new start.
Good luck everyone and HNY !
Ali
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 21:01

Plan: CAD
Stats: 148/127.5/124 Female 5ft
BF:28%/25%/20
Progress: 85%
Unhappy

I did horribly. I haven't had my lc support...and have been having trouble since Oct. I did make attempts. I made a l.c. dessert for Christmas and for a party I was going to. Ate lc at the party only to come home later and eat the bread my mom had baked and left at our house. I was getting along fine without bread for so long. I have my own lc version but hadn't made any for some time. I have had terrible cravings. I did perfect yesterday but had some trouble today. I have put one everything I had lost.
I am only 5ft so it really shows. I will keep working on it!!!

Why is it that it only takes a month or so to put the weight on but a year to get and keep it off???
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 20:20
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein's Diabetic Solution, LOTS of exercise !!
Stats: 155/148/135
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default almost made it

Yup, I caved. I made it all the way to the 29th and had a full carb relapse. Freinds who just got married the day before gifted us with carrot cake and cheesecake leftovers. Saying as they handed over the loot, "Oh well it's ok to give this stuff to your house cause you don't touch the stuff so you're safe" HAH!!!.....SIGH!!!!! I gave in and for the last 5 days have been way out of control.

Why do carbs make me so hungry. It really is an addiction. If I stay away it's ok. But the second I cheat just a bit..... WHAM!!, I lose it.

Well, as Scarlett said "Tomorrow is another day" I will start fresh and stick to it. Just knowing I'm not the only one to give in is a consolation.

Thanks everyone for being there.

Cheers,

AJ
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 10:19
3 Days at a Time

Plan: OWL
Stats: 150/150/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Oooh, I did SO BAD!

In fact, New Years Day is what firmed up my resolution. I'm not a drinker, usually... it's expensive, and I come from a family of alcoholics, so I like to be careful.

But I was up in ol' Minnesota introducing my fiance to all of my High School friends, and had a swinging New Years Eve party. Everyone brought drinks... and I had too many.

Daquaris. Pure sugar and carbs, there. I had so many, and the next morning--it wasn't the hangover that got me. It was my blood-sugar levels. They were so out of wack that I literally thought I was going to die.

I suppose, in a way, it was good, though. I'd been doing worse and worse, and that was rock bottom. The thought of sugar right now makes me slightly queasy. It's certainly helping me stay on track...

So far so good...
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 11:47
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 185/177/135 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%
Unhappy Disaster Strikes!

I thought I did okay over the vacation until I came back from my in-laws house and weighed myself. I've gained between 4 to 5 pounds! I was devastated for a few days, but I'm getting over it.

It's so depressing to have a month's worth of hard work obliterated. I didn't drink sodas, or eat bread or cereal. I had some sweets, but it was nothing like my carbing days. I guess it all adds up, though.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 23:11

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 135/108/107
BF:?
Progress: 96%
Smile Great

I had manicotti (without shell), burrittos 4 times (Los Reyes in Atlanta, best mexican on the planet) homemade fries, a TON of beer, wine & champagne & still lost a pound, don't know if LC is working anymore, doesn't seem to make much difference. Kinda weird that I still lost eating all that crap.

Last edited by Jaden313 : Fri, Jan-10-03 at 00:00.