Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-02, 10:17

Plan: Low Carb/Anti-Candida
Stats: 203.5/161.0/135 Female 5ft3"
BF:??
Progress: 62%
Default fiber on induction?

Just wondering? Can we have fiber foods on induction if the fiber can be discounted- such as flax muffins, kavli crisp bread or Wasa rye/fiber crackers? So long as you stay in your 20 carbs a day? Maybe like 1 cracker or something? I'll be back on induction on Mon. & just wanted to nail that one down. The "endulge" bars TOTALLY stalled out my 8lb weight loss a few months back, and then a stomach flu, so I don't want anything to "blow it " this time!
Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-02, 11:36

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Hezz!

Generally, you are better off getting the majority of your carbs from veggies during induction. There are other things that you can eat during induction that also have carbs such as eggs, cream and cheese, so I really don't recommend getting 1/4 of your daily carb allowance from something like a cracker or muffin. Save these things for the OWL phase and do induction by the book to give yourself the best possible start. Much success to you when you start!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-02, 12:09

Thanks Lisa. I just thought it might help w/the constipation aspect, but I suppose the supplements could work just as well vs. the whole foods.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-02, 12:27

BF:

If you select high fiber veggies and drink plenty of water along with the recommended 65-70% of your calories from fat during induction, any constipation that you experience should be short lived.
You can also try adding some ground flax seed to your salads to boost the fiber and fat content. Flax will probably give you the best help in that department for the carbs that it has (which are very low). HTH
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-02, 13:55

The muffins were made w/the ground flax, but they also had some wheat gluten too. Do you think these would be okay after the 1st 2 wks.? It said to only count about 1.5 carbs per muffin once the fiber is subtracted. Thanks
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-02, 14:07

BF:

They might be okay, but I'd keep them limited to one or two per day. The only way to know for sure is to give them a try. Are they sweetened with anything? Artificial sweeteners are known stallers for many people, so they're best avoided as much as possible especially during induction.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-02, 14:24

Yes it said about 1/2 C splenda, but I've also made them w/out & it seemed to taste the same, so I guess I'll leave it off. Speaking of the A.S. which are the worst stallers? I don't use much nutra sweet, but do sweeten decaf tea w/sweet- n- low, sugar twin & use splenda in crustless cream cheesecake & in diet rite drinks. What about sf jello w/nutrasweet? And how do I deal w/the POWERFUL sugar cravings esp. after eating a meal (lunch,dinner) Thanks
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-02, 14:50

BF:

Sugar cravings will probably be there for the first 3-5 days, but once you get past them it's all downhill from there. I believe that Dr. Atkins says to limit your consumption of artificial sweeteners of any kind to 2 or 3 packets a day on induction. Something that helps when cravings hit is to eat something high fat or high protein (or both). You can also try supplements such as chromium and L-Glutamine to help diminish cravings.
Just so you know, 1/2 cup of Splenda is 12 grams of carb (24 grams per cup), so don't forget to count them when you do use it for making sweet treats like cheesecake or muffins.
Dr. Atkins recommends avoiding aspartame mostly because of health concerns. Saccharin and sucralose are both permitted but still limited.
Many people find that eating things that taste sweet provoke sugar cravings and I think it makes it harder to get past the sugar cravings when you are feeding them with sweet tasting things. Even though it's not sugar, just the sweet taste can get your body craving more.
As always, these things are a YMMV (your mileage may vary) thing. Some people can use artificial sweeteners without any problems at all, but there's no way to tell how they affect you individually without trying them for yourself.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-02, 15:01

Okay - thanks so much for the info Lisa. Take Care!