Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-02, 11:11

Plan: not sure
Stats: 240/240/145
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Non-Atkins Choice?

I just found this site, looks interesting.

I tried Atkins about 2 years ago. Even though I was on very strict induction for longer than the normal 2 weeks (no exceptions, amazing will power!) I lost nothing at all, not even the expected water weight.

Well, due to the lack of results and the very heavy emphasis on meat, I gave up. My weight has been very stable but it is just much too high. In addition, I have "pre-diabetes" or whatever it's called. Not real, just "starting".

Anyway... What alternatives are there for people such as myself for whom Atkins doesn't work? I know all the names of other low-carb diets but I am looking for people with personal experience with Atkins who switched to an alternative. Ideally I would hope for something that is not the "all meat-with-token vegatables" that Atkins is.

Thank you in advance!

Paul
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-02, 14:01

Plan: Atkins to CALP to general LC + BFL
Stats: 188/174/150
BF:
Progress: 37%

Hi Paul:

Check out the "Which LC Plan is Right for Me?" link on the right side of the page. It's really helpful for comparing different plans.

I switched from Atkins to CALP and have found this to be the right plan for me. I had a very difficult time with Atkins--lost at first and then totally stalled out--and just generally couldn't imagine myself staying on Atkins as a WOL.

Good luck to you!!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-02, 16:08

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Paul!

As a pre-diabetic, you should also check out Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. The Schwarzbein Principle may also be a good plan for you to check out. Cutting your carbs now is probably the most important step you can take to keep that pre-diabetes from becoming full-blown diabetes. Good luck.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-02, 20:50

Plan: atkins/somers/whatever
Stats: 193/149/154 Female 5 foot, 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 113%

I found the link about which low-carb plan to be very helpful. I wish you much success this time around!

Last edited by jedigddss : Mon, Dec-23-02 at 20:54.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-26-02, 12:53

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally posted by pepson
I know all the names of other low-carb diets but I am looking for people with personal experience with Atkins who switched to an alternative.

Hi there Paul......

You've already had some very good information here in response to your questions.

I'd like to add a recommendation that you start a journal here. The advantage to that is that you'll have a place for experienced folks here to visit you and offer information and encouragement. Many of us who are here, have found that having someone else take a peek at the food journals we keep, has resulted in finding the little things that were holding us back from having our best success at LCing.

Wishing you every success at choosing a new LC plan!

Marlaine