Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-29-02, 00:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/238/175
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Lost in the Frozen North

G'day, fellow Canucks!

I'm enjoying the vida Low carb up here in Ft. McMurray, Alta.
Finding LC stuff is a challenge, to put it mildly! I'd love to hear from any fellow LC'ers up here...strength in unity, eh?! And there's more of us every day!

My latest project is to find a decent (hopefully, not bank breaking)
alternative to store-bought bread. I've found a couple of good recipes but some of the ingredients are a tad exotic for this neck of the woods (vital gluten flour, oat flour, flax seed, etc.).

Sigh...I might have to mount up and make the trek to Edmonchuk! Ah, well...300 miles is a small price to pay for a weekend in the bright lights! Edmonton is a good time...and I LOVE the south side (can you say: "Blues On Whyte"?). It's a lovely town!

Apparently, the Northwoods (?) Mall Shoppers has Ross chocolate bars for cheap.
If our City of Champions friends have any suggestions as to LC places to visit, I'd be very thankful!

Nice chatting with yez,

TTFN,
Phil
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-29-02, 03:04

BF:
Default Oh, GREAT now I'm talking to myself!

Just an after-thought...since I'm already whining, does anyone now a decent source of sugar free foodstuffs? A lot of recipes call for S-F jello, pudding mixes, etc. Nothing like this at this end of the Universe!
tHANX,
pHIL
pS. bOY, i HATE THIS CAPLOCK KEY!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-29-02, 12:25

Plan: adkins
Stats: 182/178/135 Female 5'4 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Morning!

I have found a sweetener called Stevia that is available in health food stores to use to make things like cool aid etc.

There are tons of recipes for low carb stuff, but your right, when you can't find the products to go into bread,- well your kinda hooped.

Will your grocery store order in those things for you?

My daughter bakes bread for me- because I don't have time and also because it helps her out also...

I'm from the okanagan. Not as cold as you maybe? Anyways, good luck with finding products- I would check with health food stores first for some of your ingredients
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-29-02, 12:28

BF:

Just an after thought- Ross chocolate bars are made in my neck of the woods- we still pay anywhere from about 1.29-1.49? or there abouts.

Whats your cost there? Can you call the company and ask about shipping privately? They operate out of Chase B.C.

Good luck again.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-25-02, 04:17

BF:

Howdy, folks!

Just got doing the Santa thing and am relaxing with a non-carb , but most definately alcoholic, drink.

The strength of the program is evident in my ability to avoid (most!) of the temptations of the season. I kind of lost it with my lady friends stuffing (ooh, that sounds a bit nasty, n'est-pas!). But apart from this small transgression, I've managed to keep it on the straight and narrow...not through any power of will (because I don't have any!) but rather from a choice of good stuff that I do like i.e. meat, green veggies and a spot of vino!
Managed to forego the chockies and the sausage rolls and mince pies (damn it!) but not without a tad of soul-searching!

I would like to take this opportunity to pass on my thanks and appreciation for all of the support and advice offered so freely by the wonderful people on this forum...you guys are DEFINATELY on Santa's "A" list!!!

I wish you all the most merry of Christmas's and the very happiest of New Years!

My most heartfelt thanks to you all!

Cheers,
Phil
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-25-02, 13:49

BF:

Morning! I just got back from mexico and it was much warmer there!!!

Anyways have a great christmas.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-25-02, 15:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf

Greetings from Victoria, BC, to Fort M, AB and all other points Canada as well!

Have a fabulous Holiday Season and enjoy your real (LowCarb) foods and drinks.

Then come and visit me in the Products Forum as well as keep an eye peeled in this Canada Forum for Canadian sources for all KINDS of goodies. Also, goodies and info and recipe links ALSO available from my website, float your mouse over the logo below my signature...

sig: Products Forum moderator
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-25-02, 17:51

BF:

I have to say I havn't actually been following too closely the low carb stuff, being that I was just in mexico and also, now its christmas celebration time. Before that I was fine...

I will say that I am really admiring you guys that are sticking to your guns and starying low carb!! even over the festivities.

I am feeling a little blue today. My kids never missed christimas day and I only missed one christmas with my mom and dad until they passed away.

I am missing them all today, although I will see my daughters tomorrow and their familys!

Good luck everyone. I have felt really good lately to be canadian.
especially when I was in mexico and saw so many people living with much less than I.