Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-22-02, 20:22

Plan: Atkins:Very Low Carb(VLC)
Stats: 265/251/165 Male 5'-8"
BF:41/38/15
Progress: 14%
Post New poster

Hello everyone,

I found this site a couple months ago and have benifited greatly from all the info that it contains! A little background on myself... 1997 found me at 326lbs, I did Atkins and one year later was around 250lbs. Then life and all took over and another year passed and even though I wasn't actively doing Atkins, I erred on the side of protien, and minimized carbs and in 2000 was about 235lbs. So that was good. I was a teen ice dancer, but quit at age 18, so I decided to start back skating since I had liked it so much as a kid, I was still very over weight for skating but took it slow and steady. So now I ice dance and weigh 215lbs, but want to lose what I consider the last 50-60 lbs. I've been a little stuck at 210-215. I recently looked into the Cyclic/Ketosis deal it looks very good to me, so that where I'm headed right now..... Unless I hear of a better way.... any way no questions right now, but just thought it was about time I joined.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-02, 03:06

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Thumbs up Welcome

Hi Icedancer, so glad you came out of the lurking mode and joined this site.

You have made real progress over the last few years in loosing weight. Many congratulations. Taking up ice dancing must really help as I am sure that it is a real good form of exercise.

Well, now down to loosing those last 50 or so pounds. Have a good look at your menus and the amount of fluid you drink. How many carbs are you eating these days? You might find it easiest to start a journal to chart your progress. Then you can add your menus and we can comment on how you are doing and offer additional advice, as required.

Every success.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-02, 10:07

Hello Little Ann,

Well I see that I am not the only one to make good progress! You've done quite good yourself! But back to me

I haven't been following a strick Atkins/LC lifestyle and that is why I've basically been stalled at the 210lbs level for the last 3 months. It's so funny when you know what to do but just put if off for another day, until it becomes important again! It's becoming inportant to me because I want to get below 180lbs by March of 2003 for some competitions I and my partner are going to be doing...... She by the way thinks the LC way is very bad for me, but she's 5'-3" and maybe 100lbs, she can talk!

Anyway, one of the things I found interesting is that I've always taken the face value that the Aktins book says, "Eat all the protein you want" and "Eat to satation" Well I don't beleive Dr. Atkins realized the amounts that I can eat!!
I work on the North Slope of Alaska for a 2 week on 2 week off rotation, all food is provided, and it's easy to do LC here because all the food is ready, cafeteria style, and I can pick and choose the protien I want, but I can also eat all I want! And that can be too much, even for LCing! My last rotation up here I went the whole two weeks in induction and lost not one pound! But I did eat an increadible amount of food! So this time I've tried to do better but was stuck because now I realize that I am a food addict, meaning I couldn't stop myself from eating, I felt hungry and complulsive. I seem to be a pretty all or nothing type person. So a couple days ago I had to reasses and reign myself in, do a little portion control, 1/2 serving of this a small snack there, I know we don't "need" to calorie count but in my case it seems to help, at least to have some idea of how much I'm eating. And since I'm an old calorie counter from way back it's second nature to me.
So at 6am I eat for breakfast a 2 egg omelet with cheese, 3 pieces of bacon.
At about 10am I have 2 boiled eggs as a snack.
At noon I do 30 miniutes of Stairmasters then get a cup of tuna salad.
AT 5pm I have dinner usually consisting of one small salad a day, about a cup, a serving of beef/fish/chicken, some brocolli and a diet pepsi.

Throughout the day I will tend to drink coffee, with equal, maybe 4-5 cups, and 2-3 8oz diet pepsi's.

It could be that the diet drinks affect my wieght loss, but seriously the biggest obstical has been the shear quantity of food I can put down. I kept a calorie diary last trip up on slope and I was eating 5000 plus calories a day, with no sugar!

At least I didn't gain any wieght! But the goal here is to lose right? So, I decided to restart last tuesday the 17th but found no will power to eat less, and I was very compulsive about it...... it all came to a head though on Friday the 20th, when in frustration I told myself, if I am going to feel hungry all the time then I shall just be hungry.

Starting Sat 21st, I finally got a handle on it, eating one portion of eggs, or meat and a small salad. And being satisfied. It was like I had to threaten myself with fasting just to get my bodies attention enough to slow me down.

So I'm back on track, eating a proper amount, feels good beginning all over again. And the nice thing is I've not rebounded up even though I've been kinda off for 6 months or so. This time last year, I was 225lbs so I'm still down 10lbs! Now it's time to swoosh the rest!

History:
Dec 1997 326lbs
Dec 1998 285lbs
Dec 1999 250lbs
Dec 2000 235lbs
Dec 2001 225lbs
Dec 2002 215lbs
Dec 2003 150lbs Goal

Well, we'll see what 2003 brings!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-02, 10:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Smile Hi there!

Welcome to the forum!

This community is warm and supportive—just what one needs for a successful LC journey!

I hope you’ll navigate all over the site and that you’ll drop in the Triple Digits Club (for those with 100+ lbs to lose). We communicate openly and honestly there, and everyone will find inspiration in the threads.

Good luck to you!

Donald
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-02, 16:38

Talking

Whew!
This site is sure big! I tend to get lost, and have spent half the morning just navigating around in it and finding some many nice stories and good insights!!

I'm sure as I become more accomplished at finding stuff I'll be a little more active.

I just figured out how to update my profile and added my Journal to the list, so you all can find out a little more about me and my low carb journey!

Yours!