Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-21-02, 17:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/234/180
BF:
Progress: 10%
Smile New member from Oregon

Hey folks,

Just wanted to say hi from Hillsboro Oregon (right outside Portland). I joined awhile ago, but haven't done anything until now. Life has been pretty stressful, but it's finally calming down to a point where I think I can get started on this. Today is my second day!

I'm doing sort of a cross between Atkins and Protein Power. Basically I'm eating slightly more carbs than Atkins, but worrying less about calories than PP. I've also read NeanderThin and really enjoyed that book. I have about 60 pounds or so to lose.

I live with my husband and four month old son, and I'm currently "just" doing the stay at home Mom job. I'm enjoying it immensely. If any other Moms are around Hillsboro and want to get together sometime, feel free to email me.

Thanks!

- Hollie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-22-02, 06:24
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%
Smile

Hi Hollie! And congratulations to you for getting started before Xmas. Most people would put it off until after the New Year and in the meantime gain another 8 lbs!! This forum is a wonderful place....I could not have come this far without it. Stick around and start a journal! Post often, record your meals, ask questions, visit other journals, learn all you can..........it will pay off in spades!!

We're glad you're here!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-02, 11:37

BF:
Default Thanks for replying!

You're the only one who did, I really appreciate it.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-02, 11:43

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Welcome!

Good luck on your new venture - you can do it!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-02, 11:54

BF:

Thank you so much!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-02, 12:07
Registered Member

Plan: NA
Stats: 140/130/120
BF:NA
Progress: 50%
You might want to try getting job and giving up the "just stay at home mom" thing. I'm sure that isn't helping you lose weight. Get out and get active. You can eat whatever you want as long as you exercise.

Good luck!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-02, 12:56

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Elissa,

I don't know about you, but I don't think I have the energy to be a stay at home mom! I've not had kids, but just the thought of what is needed to be a stay at home mom - it just boggles the mind!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-02, 13:02
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Welcome Holly -

Looking forward to getting to know you and read about all your successes with this WOE!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-02, 13:39

Stats: 219/205/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 17%
Smile Hello

I'm a stay at home mother with my own childcare.. so taking care of 6 kids really keeps me from thinking about the refridgerator. Personally I've had many jobs outside the home and I find that when I was working away from the home I was eating out wayyy more. Now that I'm at home I have all the things I need to eat low carb and no pressure from coworkers e to go to an Italien restauraunt and gorge on pasta,just an example.. lol I think if you are financially able to be home with your kids it is wonderful. My kids love having me at home even with the extra kids who I care for. Good luck and have a Merry Christmas!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-02, 13:49
Registered Member

Plan: NA
Stats: 140/130/120
BF:NA
Progress: 50%
I don't know about all of you, but when I sit on my butt all day at home either in front of the TV or the computer, I always want to eat. That's why I try and avoid those situations where food is really accesible. Congrats to all of you who are at home all day and don't eat anything unhealthy, there's no way I could do it. I like to get out and be active instead of just staying at home all day. Different strokes for different folks I guess. You're all so lucky that being at home all day hasn't contributed one bit to your weight gain or frustrations with getting the weight off!!

Good luck all, Merry Christmas!!!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-02, 14:40

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

LOL...I would think that chasing after 6 kids would be activity enough for a day!
Speaking as a mom and someone who works full time outside the home, there's far more temptation and goodies in my office than there are in my home. I can't control what my co-workers decide to bring into the office on the [frequent] munchie days, but I can certainly control what types of food come into my home.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-02, 17:17

Stats: 295/189/185 Male 70"
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default Cheezpup

I certaining respect your decision to be a stay at home mom. The dhildren grow up too fast. Like some one said, "Never heard a child say, 'I wish mom/dad would have spent more time at the office.' "

I'm not a wife and the mother of a four month old but I doubt you a lot of time for sitting on your butt. I know as a man, I am usually more physically active at home than at work.

Good luck and Merry Christmas!!

BrewWa
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-02, 19:21

BF:

I'm happy being a stay at home Mom, it's what I knew I wanted to do when we had a baby. Greg (my husband) also works at home, telecommmuting to his company in Seattle. Our situation of both of us getting to share in raising Miles is something very unique and something we both treasure. He'll probably be our only child, so we want to really experience it fully.

Me getting a job wouldn't help anything, it would hurt everybody, including my body. I've never lost weight sitting behind a desk. At home I have access to a weight bench, a treadmill, and my best friend down the street with a baby herself to go for walks and hikes with during the week.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-02, 19:53

Stats: 219/205/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 17%
Smile That's great

That's great ! I think that a lot of people do not realize that staying at home does not mean sitting on your butt. And you are home with your child not missing out on all those things that we as mothers treasure.. such as that first smile, first word, etc. I am thankful I'm able to be with my kids also. And I get plenty of exercise running after 6 kids, plus my own 3 which makes 8. Babies grow so fast so cherish every moment with yours. My youngest will be 5 in a couple mos. and I miss that little snuggly baby she once was. They are soo precious. Best of luck to you and if you need a buddy feel free to visit my journal or message me anytime. From one stay at home mom to another
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-02, 22:31
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

I'm a working mom....and I KNOW for a fact that working is 500x more sedentary than raising children!!....The office is where I get my REST!! Ya'll are lucky to be able to stay home and be with your kids! Enjoy every moment!

Last edited by TeriDoodle : Mon, Dec-23-02 at 22:33.