Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 12:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default nausea after eating

I've been on Atkins since mid-March and this problem is new by about a week, so I do not think the WOE is to blame, but I need some ideas.

For about the last week, *almost* every time I eat I get nausea. It doesn't occur every time and I haven't been able to detect a pattern to it.

So, new things this week:

1. About a week ago, I started an antibiotic for an infection. It ended on Sunday. The nausea did not begin until about mid-way through the series and has not yet ended, though I've been off the meds for 4 days now. I have had a follow-up test that showed I was clear of the infection.

2. About a week ago, I started taking fish oil capsules, coenzyme Q-10 capsules and garlic tablets as daily supplements.

3. I'm on my TOM, but it started after the nausea.

4. I've also had episodes of tinnitis twice over the last week, which I have only had, in the past, when my bp was high. However, my most recent bp readings have been much lower. Is it possible to get tinnitis from a too LOW bp?

5. This is going to sound stupid, but I'm grasping at straws. We turned on the heat in the house for the first time this season.

6. I just remembered that I also started using flaxseed daily about a week ago.

Any guidance will be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by freydis : Thu, Dec-05-02 at 12:07.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-19-02, 15:24

Plan: My own
Stats: 165.5/155/135 Female 5'2"
BF:Too much
Progress: 34%

If you are eating high fat meals, it could be caused by your gallbladder..I was just reading about how when people follow a high carb/ low fat diet their gallbladder stops working then when the switch is made to high fat/low carb it shocks it into working again and it can cause pains in the upper right quadrant,colic,etc etc....rapid weight loss can cause gallstones too..you might want to search some threads here that mention gallbladder....
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-20-02, 03:26

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Freydis

Are you having any trouble swallowing? or food "coming back up" into your throat? Feeling like something is still in your throat? Does anything relieve it? Have you tried taking an antacid? If this continues for more than a few more days, you should call your doc and ask about having UGI (upper GI) testing done. It could be that your esophagus isnt' emptying completely, it could be (esp after an antibiotic) that your esophagus is irritated and needs time to heal. It could be an adverse reaction to a food (even if it's not a new food!) or medication or supplement. (you can develop an allergy to anything at any time) It could be a hiatal hernia...it could be a lot of things!

Antibiotics can cause nausea....and the effects can last long after the med is finished. If I take even 1 dose of pennicillin I have indigestion and nausea for at least a week!

I've tried 2 types of fish-oil capsules. The first made me itch all over...the second caused severe nausea. So you might want to stop that for a few days and see if it helps.

Tinnitus is usually a benign symptom. A lot of people have "head noise" most or all of the time (like me) with no known cause. It's rarely a sign of high or low BP. It can be caused by trauma to the inner ear, but this is something you'd be aware of because it would start fairly soon after the injury.....and it doesn't last for more than a few hours or at worst days.

The heat? yep...could be the problem....when you first turn on the heat, if it's forced hot air, a lot of dust can be thrown out into the air. This can cause nasal irritation and post-nasal drip, which can lead to nausea. If it's another type of heat it could be your body getting used to the warmer temps. (not likely, I'll admit....but you never know!)

Cindy
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-20-02, 16:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally posted by CindySue48
Are you having any trouble swallowing? or food "coming back up" into your throat?

No, not that - thanks!

Antibiotics can cause nausea....and the effects can last long after the med is finished. If I take even 1 dose of pennicillin I have indigestion and nausea for at least a week!

I begin to suspect that it was the antibiotics because it cleared up about a week after the series was finished. Again, thanks!

Tinnitus is usually a benign symptom. A lot of people have "head noise" most or all of the time (like me) with no known cause. It's rarely a sign of high or low BP. It can be caused by trauma to the inner ear, but this is something you'd be aware of because it would start fairly soon after the injury.....and it doesn't last for more than a few hours or at worst days.

That's something I had been worried about - apparently needlessly. My bp has been going down, down, down, so it would have been an awful thing to have it start going back up.

The heat? yep...could be the problem....when you first turn on the heat, if it's forced hot air, a lot of dust can be thrown out into the air. This can cause nasal irritation and post-nasal drip, which can lead to nausea. If it's another type of heat it could be your body getting used to the warmer temps. (not likely, I'll admit....but you never know!)

I think this has been the problem on a few occasions when the nausea was milder. You've really helped me! Thank you!