Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Dec-19-02, 15:03
Registered Member

Plan: Anything that works
Stats: 184/150/117
BF:45%/40%/15%
Progress: 51%
Default HGH

Well with HGH the ONLY reason that it is produced less as we get older is because many people become less active. It is very much a hormone I would imagine that if governed by activity and agility is something you don't need much of if your a couch potato.

I have read many studies about how it declines in old age and get's lower, but to be honest I have always looked at this logically and thought that as people grow older they have less interest in sport, they let themselves go and they don't do as muchbas they did when young. they then start to put weight on around the middle and this as you know is a dead ringer for lack of GH--weight gain. But if you read studies around Gh and the increase that occurs in people who do sport, it has been proven to increase when we exert ourselves. This is kind of really common sense then because we need it then to help us in recovery.
So I think the old saying:

"Use it or lose it" is basically the one that sums this up and many other hormones that decline for older people. I think that we have a choice in what happens in middle age and beyond and right now advil, I can bet you ten to one you have higher levels of GH than other women of your age simply because you are very active and think of it this way---maybe that GH level is even higher than in previous years where you were not so active in your 20's or 30's. I mean I am 40 yo this year---but I am engaging in more activity than I ever did in my life. I can tell you I feel fitter than I did in my 20's!!! Honestly. Now that in itself has got to tell you something. When you start to feel fitter and healthier than you did in your youth--imagine what is happening metabolically to provide this feeling. Natural surges of hormones which are more in place with how your body would make them.

I don't want to put people off taking it. But I think it is important to realise that we also increase our levels naturally in doing an intense workout schedule.

Strayed well off the beaten track here haven't we! LOL! Hopefully anyone enquiring about GH from now on could be pointed to this thread.

I must go..I need to get my lower body workout done early today as I will be out tonight on xmas works do. I'll pop over and read your journal this afternoon when the kids are settled and I have recovered some.

Take care

Anne-Marie