Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-14-02, 19:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/157/125 Female 5' 2"
BF:28%/28%/20%
Progress: 14%
Default Minor Oops, big stomach ache

My mother made spaghetti and meatballs for dinner tonight. Oh well, I was polite. I had one forkfull of spaghetti, and four small meatballs. The meatballs were in spaghetti sauce, and I added some cheese, romano, to them.

Other than than, I had a small side salad of romain, some crumbled gorgonzola cheese, and italian dressing.

It's only been 30 minutes since I ate, but my stomach is exploding. I'm bloated (gas) and I hurt.

Is this just a bad reaction to eating carbs? I really didn't eat much, in fact, my total carbs for the day are still at 20.

Anyone else ever react like this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-14-02, 19:23
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Oh yes, I have definitely heard of drastic reactions to grain products (like pasta) once you've gotten off of them. You're probably sensitive to wheat and now you have even MORE reason not to eat the nasty stuff!! Or, I suppose, it could just be a coincidence....whatever combination of foods you ate gave you gas....or stress....or something like that. But pay close attention next time you eat something like that and take note of how you feel afterwards!

In my pre-LC days I always had horrible bloat and gas but virtually NEVER have that problem anymore!! Yea LC!!!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-14-02, 19:28

Thanks for the reply. I'm already feeling better, another 30 minutes has passed. I bet it was a reaction to wheat. I've had other foods not on the accepted list without this type of reaction, but this is the first I've had pasta. You bet I won't do this again. I don't even like spaghetti to begin with.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-14-02, 21:08

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Ummm...were there bread crumbs in the meatballs? There often are and that could also be adding to your discomfort.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Dec-14-02, 21:10

There were definitely bread crumbs in the meatballs. I know how she makes them.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 11:07
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

I have a hard time getting through those Italian Sundays at my mother and grandmother's house. Ravioli, the big pot of sauce with the sausage and meatballs...

I've convinced them to throw a nice piece of pork in the pot for me and make a nice big salad...I never touch the pasta anymore and haven't missed it once.

Wow...I'm even impressed with myself for that one!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-02, 03:03

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

...do you know your blood type? It sounds more like a reaction to something you ate that disagrees with *you* rather than a carb reaction. Carb reaction usually comes much later (after digestion begins). A reaction within such a short time suggests perhaps your body is rebelling against a 'forbidden' food for your blood type. For example, if you are blood type A or B you cannot eat such concentrated forms of tomato, or if you are an O type wheat won't agree with you....
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-02, 06:40

Why would blood type be a factor? I'm O Neg, and I do have alergies, but not to wheat. I'm alergic to tomato, though which seems to be the opposite of what you're saying.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-02, 11:18

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Sue,

There is a diet out there based upon your blood type. A few people think it has merit, most others do not find that it works or helps. I'm in the latter, I don't think blood type is related to food allergies or what makes us loose/gain weight.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-02, 11:24

Stats: 295/189/185 Male 70"
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default Giving up pasta!

DD,

I think the thought of giving up pasta is actually worse than giving it up. I haven't missed it either, but I'm not from an Italian Family. Good for you!

Our families think we're crazy for not eating "bread and taters". Haven't missed them either.

BrewWa
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-02, 13:23

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

I sure know what you mean. I have had stomach problems and battled IBS for years. For some bizarre reason, I just cannot digest complex carbs like bread, pasta, rice, and potatoes. Once I realized this, my problems completely disappeared. If I slip and eat them, I get an instant reminder! Cindi
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Dec-17-02, 03:53

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

It isn't an allergy thing, it's a lectin thing. Too difficult to explain here, but wheat lectin and gluten can cause a host of problems in some blood types. The most 'tolerant' of nightshade veggies (tomatoes, peppers, etc) are O's, but if you have arthritis, then avoid them. (Basically nightshades should be primarily avoided by all, but some can tolerate them better than others.) I am a blood type A and by eating according to blood type I *shouldn't* be able to eat so much red meat, but I am apparently what is known as an O-like A. I've been tested (kineseology) on beef/bison/venison *several* times and have even had my blood analyzed to see if I'm digesting my proteins correctly and I apparently am doing just fine. I do avoid some other foods my blood type doesn't like and I feel much better for it. I never thought giving up nightshades and milk would make a PROFOUND difference in my health, but it has (that was before I began low-carbing). I also try to keep my pH more alkaline to combat the effects of eating in a more acid way. I couldn't possibly go vegetarian (which is supposed to be the ideal alkaline way of eating), but I do the best I can in light of the fact I have to eat hi-pro/low-carb because I am diabetic. So I guess you could say I'm on the Blood-type/hi-protein/low-carb/Dr.Atkins/Dr. Bernstein's/Alkaline lifestyle/diet <G>!