Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 19:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 157/150/110
BF:26%/26%/19%
Progress: 15%
Smile Newbie

I just turned 49, September 2002. I remember just 9 years ago, working out to a Jane Fonda video, weighing 105 pounds and vowing to myself that I would stay in shape for my 50th birthday. Well, along the way, my little Honda was ran over by a big pick-up truck and that was the beginning of my weight gain, health nightmare and looser attitude. The inactivity during recuperation took a tremendous toll.

As the pounds started adding up, I honestly surrendered to the thought that I was going to be heavy like my Mom and her sisters; that genetics was against me. Then, my two sisters told me that they had high cholesterol. This scared me more than my appearance, so I had my cholesterol checked out. Just as I suspected, mine was high too. I was going to change that, and hoped that I would change my weight too.

My first plan of attack was to completely cut out all dairy (I'm a cheese lover). This was tough, but I did it. Four months and no pounds lighter, later, I went back for another cholesterol test. YIKES!! My doctor just about fell off his chair. "What did you do?" he asked as he explained that my total cholesterol had dropped, but my triglycerides rose to the alarming 200 point. The doc explained to me that overdoing carbs causes triglycerides to rise. I couldn't understand what I did to cause it to jump so high until later, I remembered that I was popping waffles in the toaster for a quick breakfast to eat at my desk at work. Plus, and this is the most embarrasing, I was snacking on candy in the candy dishes at work and occasionally popping a twinkie up to 4 times a week.

I phoned my brother who had gone on the Atkins diet last year and had tremendous results. He gave me some tips and told me to buy the book. It worked for him and he has adopted this as his way of life.

I bought the book, read it, cleaned out my cabinets and fridge, bought lots of sardines, steaks, tuna, lettuce, broccoli and cheese and here I am!

I am SOOOooo happy to have found this forum!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 20:12

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%
Default Welcome

Welcome Swookieq. Looks like you are all charged up and raring to go. Good for you for buying the book and reading it. That will go a long way in understanding what's happening to your body as you travel the LC road. here's wishing you many lost pounds and inches.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 20:26

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Welcome Swoozieq. Great advice from your brother - to read the book. It will help so much to be prepared.

I'm glad you aren't trying to get back to the 105 you used to weigh. You may find that you are happy with your appearance with a higher number than even 114. LC tends to get rid of the fat while allowing a person to put on lean sleek muscle. As that weighs more but takes up less room than fat, you could be amazed at the change in your shape as you approach your goal area & be happy to stop at a higher number. After all, it's only a number and health is more important than a number.

#4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 22:18

Stats: 157/150/110
BF:26%/26%/19%
Progress: 15%
Default Thank you!

Thank you both, Angela & Tofi, for your encouragement. And yes, Tofi, I agree whole heartedly that I would not want to weigh what I did 9 years ago, rather, to keep focused on my main purpose of getting my cholesterol in range. The other thing I'm looking forward to is the increased energy. Any appearance improvements will be an added perk.

Thanks again!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-02, 14:02
Canuck Conundrum

Stats: 283/000/180 Female 5' 8"
BF:?///?
Progress: 275%

Welcome...get a journal going and visit ours! We'll help you keep on track!

Sam