Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-02, 12:30
Reinventing Myself

Plan: Doctor's Plan
Stats: */*/* Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 77%
Question Vitamin E Question

Hi-

I have been taking 1000mg of Vitamin E for many months now. One thing I noticed was how wonderfully my nails and hair were growing as a "bonus" to taking this vitamin. The past few weeks, despite continuing to take the E, my nails have broken, become brittle, pretty much the way they were before I took the E. Can anyone give me some feedback as to why that might be happening? It is very frustrating for me.

Thanks!
~Michelle
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-02, 21:47
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

hi Michelle,

1000 mg of vitamin E is a really high dose, especially to be taking it for a prolonged period of time. For general health, 100 to 200 mg per day is recommended. For therapeutic use, such as preventive heart and blood vessel health and blood sugar stabilising, 400 to 800 mg per day is what's recommended. Doses over 800 mg per day should be taken with caution, or under the supervision of a health care provider. Doses above 800mg per day for prolonged periods can cause blood-thinning and bleeding problems.

I couldn't see anywhere that excessive vitamin E caused dry brittle nails, so I doubt that's the problem. Biotin is often helpful for dry brittle nails, hair and skin problems, so you might give that a try. 50 to 300 mcg per day.

How do you use your hands? Are they in water a lot, or you have to wash them often? This can dry out the nails. Also, some types of nail polish and remover can be very drying. A simple hand cream .. especially one with keratin protein in it .. can help solve the problem. Make sure you massage it well into the nails.

Here's some helpful info from MotherNature.com about Brittle Nails.

hth,

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 19:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/209/180
BF:
Progress: 3%

I never heard of anyone taking that high a dosage before, hopefully you checked with your doctor first. I have been taking 400mg for 15 years. You can advance to 800 after 50, but I've never heard of 1000mg...Be Careful
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 00:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/295/190
BF:
Progress: 19%

I wouln't think the vitamin E has anything to do with it. Like you said it helps. I take a 1000 ui's of E everyday along with a super B complex and a multi vitamin (with anti toxins). Atkins says not to take less then 800ui's a day of E, more will not hurt. he says it's hard to tell what your body needs depending on your age, stress, body type and past history. Any amount OVER what your body needs will simply be flushed out of your body. But do not increase vitamin A or D for these can be toxic. Try to drink plenty of water as well. Good Luck
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 15:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

Over 10 years ago, researchers discovered that doses around 200/day helped prevent heart attack, so many people thought more was better. But, recent research has shown an INCREASED risk of heart problems with megadoses of vitamin E. Best to stay at the 400 level or lower.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 17:01
Reinventing Myself

BF:

Boy o boy! LOL...talk about conflicting responses! Looks like there is research confirming whatever it is you want to take! I have no idea where to go from here.
~Michelle
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 02:46

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Any amount OVER what your body needs will simply be flushed out of your body.

Vitamin E is a fat-soluble vitamin and will be retained and can become toxic.

From Merck Manual (http://www.merck.com/pubs/mmanual/s...chapter3/3g.htm):
Quote:
Adults have taken relatively large amounts of vitamin E (400 to 800 mg/day of d--tocopherol) for months to years without any apparent harm. Occasionally, muscle weakness, fatigue, nausea, and diarrhea have occurred in persons taking 800 to 3200 mg/day. The most significant toxic effect of vitamin E at > 1000 mg/day is antagonism to vitamin K action and enhancement of the effect of oral coumarin anticoagulants, which may result in overt hemorrhage .

From Body and fitness (bodyhttp://www.bodyandfitness.com/Information/Health/Research/vitamins.htm#fat-soluble):
Quote:
The fat-soluble vitamins include vitamins A, D, E and K.
Because they are soluble in fat (lipids), these vitamins tend to because stored in the body's fat tissues, fat deposits, and liver. This storage capability makes the fat-soluble vitamins potentially toxins. Care should be exercised when taking the fat-soluble vitamins. The fat-soluble vitamins, especially vitamin A, should be consumed with care because of their storage capabilities. They have the potential of building up to harmful levels. Even though very few cases of vitamin toxicity have been reported, concern has grown during recent years as the practice of taking megadoses has become popular. If you consume large does of the fat-soluble vitamins and are concern of toxicity (specially if you taking large does of medcations or other items that are toxic to the liver), you may want to do what I do, 5 days on 2 days off.

Some are more dangerous than others. But any of the fat-soluble vitamins should be taken with caution. Water soluble are the ones you can take as much as you want of. Those are excreted in urine and pretty much flush out if there's too much taken in.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 06:27
Reinventing Myself

BF:

Thank you Cindy-
I thought Vitamin E was fat soluble. Thank you for researching it for me. I am almost done with this bottle of E. I will try 400 this next time around. I have been taking 1000 since July, maybe it is starting to get to me. Still don't know what to do about my nails!! LOL...I kept saying it was the E that was helping me.
~Michelle
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 06:46

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%
Default It might be the weather

Summeryet,
It might be the weather that's affecting your nails right now. Winter is particularly hard because of the cold, and dryness if your house is not adequately humidified.

I take vitamin E as well and had gorgeous nails over the summer. They have started to crack and split, and my cuticles get very dried out. A good hand lotion might do the trick. One thing I've noticed since taking the viatmin E is that my mails grow faster than weeds. So if they do break this time of year, they grow back in pretty fast.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 06:53
Reinventing Myself

BF:

Thank you Angela!
I am going to invest in a good lotion after the holidays. Hopefully it helps!
~Michelle
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 13:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

"The most significant toxic effect of vitamin E at > 1000 mg/day is antagonism to vitamin K action..."

This may explain something else for me!!! I just went OFF of megadoses of vitamin E because of the doctor's warning about it. I've been off for about 2 weeks and have been taking lower (400 or less) doses.

In another thread, I asked about the veins breaking in my hands and elsewhere. Another poster suggested it might be a vitamin K deficiency! Well, here's another reason to think I might have that problem. Thank you!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jan-05-03, 21:35
Reinventing Myself

BF:

I wanted to thank everyone for their advice. I have switched to 400mg per day, I will see if there are any differences.
Thanks again!
Michelle
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 22:53

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 135/108/107
BF:?
Progress: 96%
Smile Totally off topic, sorry

If you're worried about your nails, I would suggest MSM , it's great for hair & nails, mine have never looked this great.

http://www.msm-uk-price-list.co.uk/...nail_growth.htm

http://www.a1msm.co.uk/003/006_pate...methane_msm.htm

I couldn't recommend it enough, I love the stuff.