Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 14:58

Plan: SBD
Stats: 190/184/170 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 30%
Question Cheating - does this happen to you?

I have "cheated a couple times since I started ATkins a little over a month ago. Each time, I have paid for it - with a TERRIBLE upset stomach. Earlier I drank a little of DS chocolate shake and ten minutes later my stomach started cramping and my stomach felt awful.

Does this happen to anyone else? It kind of discourages cheating doesn't it?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 15:02

Plan: own version of LC
Stats: 180/163/145 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 49%

Last night I had a few cheetos.....less than 10 minutes later I felt nauseas and my stomach hurt. That has never happened before I started Atkins. Pretty strange huh! Like you said a pretty good deterent.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 17:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/145/120
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default Me too

While I was cooking Thanksgiving dinner I tasted (just a little on the tip of my finger) the cranberry sauce to check for... well, just to check it I guess. I not only got sick, but I also dropped out of ketosis. It was so weird. I tasted the pie crust too, but did a chew-and-spit with that one. I was good the whole rest of the time. It's made me VERY careful to stick to the plan!!

Heather
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-13-02, 01:35
Carol CA

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I'm noticing changes like that, too. I used to be able to drink my b/f under the table on margarita nights! I can't, of course, have my beloved margaritas anymore. My favorite mix is loaded with carbs! BUT I've found that using diet grapefruit soda makes a great margarita. HOWEVER... One good drink now, and I'm slurring my words!!! Not only that, if I have two good drinks, I end up all buzzy headed. My tolerance for alcohol has greatly diminished! I think our bodies are much less tolerant to such things. Have we regained our purity... our virginity, perhaps? It's a thought!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-13-02, 06:56

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

I haven't cheated, but some legal treats (things with maltitol) make me sick like you guys described. Hey Carol- did you know Baja Bob has a low carb/sugar free version of margarita mix???
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-13-02, 13:25
Carol CA

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Oh, my goodness! Low-Carb Margarita mix?? Pray tell! I'll have to look around for that! I'm so used to the flavor of the diet grapefruit soda, though... that really does nicely. But I'm up for trying Baja Bob! Thanks for mentioning it, DarkLotus!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 13:13

Stats: 191/175/135
BF:
Progress: 29%

Here is a link to one of many sites you can purchase it on. I too am a huge margarita lover and still imbibe from time to time. I haven't tried these mixes yet, but am planning on it.

http://www.greenbeanz.com/bajbobdrinmi.html
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 14:18
Carol CA

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Thank you for letting me know that, Piglet! I just checked the site... and they are temporarily out of stock. It just so happens that Greenbeanz is here in the Bay Area. One good thing about living here! I'll call them and find out when they'll get more. Thanks again!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 15:02

Stats: 230/136/145 Female 5'8.5"
BF:33.95/24.51/20
Progress: 111%

Hi IdahoMom,

My reaction to carbs or sugar after being off of them for a while is strange... and yes, certain foods actually cause my stomach to hurt if i allow them in my program. My biggest problem is that when I cheat it's a major set-back for me. It's almost like my metabolism changes and starts to work again and then the cheats just stall my metabolism...and, it shuts down.

But, over the past 15 months....the program has worked, so it's been worth it despite the carb feasts that I may have had...lol!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 16:06

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Cheating - does this happen to you?

Quote:
Originally posted by IdahoMom
Earlier I drank a little of DS chocolate shake and ten minutes later my stomach started cramping and my stomach felt awful.
Idahomom, many of us walk around with intolerances to some foods completely unaware of them. LCing tends to intensify them after you quit eating the food in question and then go back to it. If you find you feel this way when you eat a certain type of food it may mean you're intolerant or even allergic to it. If you get a similar reaction to all forms of carbs then I would think you'd just become more sensitive to them in general.

We all are tolerant to carbs in differing amounts and that tolerance wont be the same for all types of carbs (i.e. my mother can eat refined sugars with little problem but potatoes and other nightshades cause her to swell up like a baloon regardless of the amount and my boyfriend can eat any type of carb up to 40-50g per serving with the exception of grains, which he can handle in much smaller amounts and only when it's very low g.i., anything more causes his Crohn's to flare up)

But you're right, it really does discourage you from taking that first bite. Who wants to feel awful?

Nat
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-02, 14:33

Stats: 220/202/160
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default Bad weekend for me, also

I went to a once a year party at a friend's house on Saturday. All they served was bread and venison spagetti. This is only a once a year deal and I love venison so I just had to have some. I felt awful yesterday! It certainy is a deterrent!!

Katie
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Dec-17-02, 13:19
Registered Member

Stats: 187/170/135 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 33%
Unhappy About to cheat...

I'm just finished with the induction period and did really well as far as sticking to the plan.

Today I'm recovering from a tooth extraction and just can't face eating anything solid. I had scrambled eggs for dinner last night (with cheese) cooked in bacon fat.

I want some chicken noodle soup so badly. I don't believe I am craving the carbs as much as the soothing.

Can anyone give me some advice??

The can is staring me in the face! LOL!

Carbs: 8g per serving Sugar: 1g

(I know I'm not supposed to have carbs with pasta.)
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Dec-17-02, 18:54
Carol CA

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Katy! I can totally relate! On Thanksgiving I was sitting with my dear uncle at the hospital while my aunt was recovering from surgery the day before. I didn't have to face the temptations of Thanksgiving dinner! Lucky me. Instead I ate a wonderful salad with all the yummy fixings that I never have on hand. BUT... when I got home, I was invited over to a friend's house to chat. Big mistake... I had some pumpkin pie. I thought.. what the heck... it's Thanksgiving! I ended up with a buzzy headache after that! Is there such a thing as carb intolerance after a while?
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Dec-17-02, 19:42
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

One piece of my favorite dessert in the world -- Baker's Square carrot cake -- and I'm good for a two-day migraine. Lately, I've been doing without...but it used to be SO tempting. I'd start taking motrin before the cake even got to the table!!

And it's hard to straighten up the rest of the week after a good binge! Easier to pass them by, huh?

#15   ^
Old Tue, Dec-17-02, 19:48

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 125/125/125 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 59%

I binged on three tablespoons of peanut butter this morning. I felt queasy, but then didn't feel hungry for like five hours. I don't plan to make a habit of it (as a matter of fact, I made a promise to myself in my FitDay journal that from now on those peanut butter binges will at least occur WITH a celery stick or three.

Tami