Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 12:32

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 170/158/145
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Wholefoods unbleached white flour w/germ

I recently found at Wholefoods an unbleached white flour w/germ in their bulk section. It is really really good! Per 1/4 cup: 23 carbs, 13 fiber, 8 proteins!! It is only .69 cents per pound, and tastes truly like every other white flour. Anyone else been cooking with it yet? I've made pie crust for tarts--very good; rolls stretched with a bit of wheat bran, soy powder and gluten--very good; breading for fried chicken--excellent. Made really good apple tarts with Lucky Leave's No Sugar Added apple pie filling and that flour! Anyone else been cooking with it? Found any limitations/downfalls, cause I haven't. (Sorry, I posted this already as a reply, when I guess I meant to start a new thread--sorry for whom this is a dup!)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 13:06
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Does it have the calorie count on the package?

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 14:10

BF:

Product Info is: per 1/4 cup: 70 caleries, 0 g fat, 22 g total carbs, 8 g protein, 13 g fiber. They sell this bulk, by the pound, so I called the store to confirm I had it right. I think this flour explains how the big manufacturers are making these lite breads and specialty manufacturers are making lower carb stuff than we have been able to figure out how to. I really believe this flour has a lot to do with it! And with Whey Low, one can make caramels, etc., like "Judy's Candies." Do you think?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-02, 19:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Hi, JulieMacG.

I think Karen was asking about the Calorie count because she would VERY likely recommend you run the numbers through the Hidden Carb calculator (see the Tools item on the orange menu bar above?).

As for making caramels, etc. (and for eating this flour), that would VERY much depend on the kind of low-carb plan and the kind of sensitivities different people have.

Lots of people avoid making substitutes for bread and candies, for instance, because it sets off cravings.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 11:43

BF:
Default Low Carb for Life -- Literally

Hi, Island Girl, thanks for the reply.

I already ran the flour through the carb calculator, it comes up as specificied. Wholefoods is really good about that, their entire reputation is dependant on their products being clean, organic, reliably portrayed, etc., etc. That's why I was so excited about finding it.

I follow Protein Power guidelines to keep otherwise outrageously high cholesterol levels under control. I have been low carbing for 1.5 years now, and will be probably the rest of my life, at maintenance level. I do a lot of my own baking. So I am constantly on the look-out for ingredients and products that are good. That's one thing I look for at this website. When I find a particularly good product, I like to share that information. This flour is good, very good.

As regards individual sensitivities, am I confused? Is this a low carb board? If I was insensitive to others by posting this info somehow, please clarify, cause I don't get it.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 11:58
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Sensitive? Who's sensitive?

I wanted the numbers to check the actual carb count and see if there was any discrepency.

Sensitivities to certain foods are the same as intolerances. Many LC'ers discover that they have intolerances after they start LC'ing. Others are sugar addicts or sugar/flour addicts so they avoid these things. For some, eating something even remotely similar causes a rise in insulin and cravings to kick in. It's something that probably everyone initially struggles with. Some are more successful than others at overcoming it.

Being one of those people, I couldn't go near those products and I've learned that I can live very happily without them too.

As with all things LC, it's a "Your Mileage May Vary" issue and it's good information for many other people who can use those products.

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-02, 18:10

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 244/202/160 Female 5'6''
BF:
Progress: 50%

FWIW,

I have the Eades' brand new comfort food low carb cookbook and notice wide use of something called "unbleached, all purpose wheat (white) flour throughout the book.

Not sure if it is the same thing, but it does sound similar.

They indicate that 1/4 c contains 24 carbs , 3 proteins

barefoot
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-02, 17:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167.5/122/115 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

How do you like that cookbook? I saw it in the bookstore and thought about buying it, but I wanted to check here for reviews/opinions first.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-02, 20:26

Stats: 240/240/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question

By chance does anyone know if this unbleached flour is equivlant in measuring to normal old white flour? If you know please let me know. I am thinking that this unbleached flour is a whole heck of a lot cheaper to buy then the nut flours. Plus I have a Whole Foods Market 5 minutes from my house! Thanks for all the help in advance! <BR> Suzanne
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 20:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

It measures the same because it IS the same. Just not bleached.

It will not only be cheaper than nut flours, but much higher carb than nut flours, so take that into account.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 11:45

BF:
Default unbleached white flour WITH Germ

Hi, saw the posts. The flour I am referring to is not the same. The Wholefoods flour is only 9 carbs per quarter cup, and 8 proteins. I have confirmed this with Wholefoods since my initial post, and I use it all the time. It is high fiber because of the germ, I guess. It is a bit tougher to work with than regular flour, but definitely easier than vital wheat gluten et al. Give it a try, I think you will be very pleased. Enjoy!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 22:06

BF:

juliemacg -

Is there any way you can find out maybe the name and what not of this flour? It is also in the bulk section? The only unbleached flour I could find was some that was like 110 calories and like 23 carbs with only 1 gm of fiber If you could find the name out I can call or see a manager at my local Whole Foods Market and ask them about it.

Thanks,

Suzanne
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-02, 09:38

BF:
Default unbleached white flour w/germ

Hi, Suzanne. The flour is in the bulk section only. The label on the bin reads simply "unbleached white flour WITH Germ." I just talked to the manager at my location so that I could by a bulk (25 to 50) lb bag instead emptying their bin once a month <smile>. If you have trouble finding it, repost and I'll get the bulk Item # (I think it is 7559, but really not sure off hand). Good luck and let me know if you have trouble locating it. p.s. I do not see it listed on-line, probably cause its bulk.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-02, 20:51

BF:

Hey juliemacg!

I just talked to a manager via the phone at my local Whole Foods. She is unsure if they normally carry it. But, she will give me a call back tomorrow morning to see if she can specially order some. She says if that is the case then I would have to either by the 25 pounds or the 50 pounds dependent on how they can get it.

By chance where are you located? I thought about going to another store in the bay area to see if they carry it.

Any suggestions?

Suzanne