Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 19:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 130/130/106
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question What Happens if your calories is over.......?

What actually happens (when doing atkins ) if your calories needed is over the quota?Like you need 10-12x your wt to get the enough calories so what happens if you overshot the calories?

THe excess will be stored as fats?and you will tend to retain water more?Is it true when approching your TOM esp a week before,you tend to eat more than usual???Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 00:10
Registered Member

Stats: 320/295/190
BF:
Progress: 19%

Count carbs, not calories.
No carbs, body burns you're fat
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 10:36
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/135/120
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default calories?

You should read page 143 of Atkins book. He says calories do count. He says not to count calories, and that following a controlled carbohydrate program allows you to consume more calories then on a lowfat-high carb diet, however if you consume more calories then you expend you're not going to lose weight. I think moderation is the key, the less calories we eat (without going into starvation mode) the more we're going to lose.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 10:49
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Now that I'm finally eating LESS in a day...I've lost more weight in the past three weeks than I did since April.

I'm a believer that calories are important to control...not count. I know now that it was my portions or the legal foods, not the foods themselves. And yes, count the carbs...don't count the calories. But do control how much food you eat in general because more in than what goes out only has one consequence!

#5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 10:53
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/135/120
BF:
Progress: 63%

Amen Donna!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 11:03
Canuck Conundrum

Stats: 283/000/180 Female 5' 8"
BF:?///?
Progress: 275%

It is true that the you should eat 10 - 12 times your weight in calories, but the carbs are the important ones to count.

If you overdo the calories, it's obvious what happens. The part that most don't get at first is that if you UNDEREAT, it can be just as bad if not worse. Less calories than you need will send a signal to your body that it is being starved, so it will adjust your metabolism to conserve fat...not burn it, in case this starvation mode is going to be ongoing. Our HEADS know we aren't trying to starve ourself to death, just that our BODY is more cautious.

That is why I find that fitday.com really helps me. Not only does it give me my carb count, but also my calories and lets me check my ratio of fat/protein/carb, which should be approx. 65/30/5

I know it's a lot of numbers to worry about, but I see from reading a lot of results and members journals that those are the numbers that work for most. It didn't take me long to be able to choose foods for the day and be almost bang on with the numbers I wanted.....so it's not that difficult to get used to.

Sam
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Dec-13-02, 08:24
Registered Member

Stats: 130/130/106
BF:
Progress: 0%

yea i agree, i think i overdid the cal.as i ate till my stomach bloated..and ended up in a state where your stomach gets so umcomfortable.I am taking moderately now. So as long i feel a little full i will stop.And cnt a little more if my stoamch still feels abit hungry.

I think i really learnt my lesson. Proably that's the reason why i gained wt instead of losing it.Moderation is the key here.Thanks alot guys!!