Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 09:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins mostly
Stats: 167.8/162.4/130
BF:
Progress: 14%
Talking Who's NOT exercising and still LOSING??

I haven't exercised in about three weeks. I started this diet last Monday, Dec. 2, and have lost 3 lbs. I'm quite happy with that, because I was going up about 2-3 lbs a week before I started!! Anyway, out of curiosity, I was wondering how many of you are not exercising and still losing weight consistently...For how long?

I do intend to start back exercising today. I will walk at lunch, and twice a week I will do strength training (The Firm videos). However, I am not a highly active person and want to know if I can continue to lose weight w/o exercising my a-- off!

Thanks for your input!!

Cindy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 09:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Cindy...I'm losing quite fast now because of traumatic circumstances this past month that took away my appetite...so I have not been exercising.

However, the first time I lost a great deal of weight (90 pounds) I lost it so fast that my skin never had a chance to keep up with the pace and got left behind. This type of damage with that much weight loss, that fast, is the WORST thing you can do!

I'm glad to hear that you are going to do some walking because that is about the best exercise to make sure that your legs tone up AS you are losing the weight. It's very important.

I'm suffering and embarrassed about it...that's how I know. Now, I think I'd try to become obsessed with exercise just so I won't have to be at the plastic surgeon's office in a year!

Good luck.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 10:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins mostly
Stats: 167.8/162.4/130
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default I do know the benefits of exercise

I used to exercise quite a bit, as a matter of fact. I have been walking regularly for years, and in the past year and a half, have tried to add strength training as well. The trouble is, for the last six months or more, I haven't been consistent, so the exercise is not really doing much good. I guess I'm just wondering if I don't do as much as exercise as I "intend" (lol), will I still lose? I know I had to do LOTS of exercise to lose weight on WW.

Cindy
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 12:42

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

I'm guilty, guilty. I NEVER exercise and I LOVE the fact that I don't have to to lose weight on this WOE. I KNOW I should exercise for my PCOS but I just find it so boring.

When I hit a plateau I plan to introduce the dreaded "torture zone".
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 12:50
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/185/175
BF:
Progress: 82%

I lost most of my weight without exercising a lick
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 13:01

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 208/153/135
BF:43%/??/20%
Progress: 75%

I don't do any formal exercise, but then again, I have a 9 and a 4 yr old and work part-time. What I have found, however, is that now that I'm lighter, I move faster (I guess its easier), I run upstairs rather than pull myself up -
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 13:03
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/185/175
BF:
Progress: 82%

That's a cool signature Tzelish
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 13:10
Registered Member

Plan: Shoogadownsizing!
Stats: 205/145/150 Female 5'4"
BF:F/C/C
Progress: 109%

Me. About the only exercise I could do is swim, but it's winter and I'm not about to drag my fat behind 10 miles to the closest pool. Other than that, there are permanent physical reasons why I can't exercise without triggering pain. I used to weigh over 200 and lost on WW without exercising until I fizzled out and gained some back and then couldn't get it going again. I've lost 16 pounds in 3 months lowcarbing without doing a bit of exercise.
asugar
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 13:51

Plan: own version of LC
Stats: 180/163/145 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 49%

Hi All

I do a tiny bit of excersise and I mean tiny. I finally started toning my arms with 5lb dumbells in the evening and occassionally I will do floor excersises. I do get some while at work (work only part time) by climbing up and down the stairs many times since the office is upstairs but that's about it.

I have lost 10 lbs in 6 weeeks (six weeks today) but all that was during the first 3 weeks. I am pretty discouraged about this. I do feel alot lighter than before but I did expect to have lost more than 10 lbs. I think alot of the problem is my period. I have been so bloated. Tomorrow is my last day (my period lasts 7 days..hate it) I don't want to weigh because if I haven't lost at least a pound I will get really bummed out.

I have lost a total of 3 1/2 inches from my bust, waist and hips which doesn't seem like a whole lot. What is keeping me going right now is when I pick up a 5 lb dumbell I think of that as fat and it feels like alot when I think of pounds lost in this way.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 13:59

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

I don't really do any formal exercise myself. Before I found this woe, I figured heavy exercise was going to be the only way for me to lose weight since I thought I was eating pretty healthfully anyway. I've always eaten a balanced diet, lots of veggies, not much for dessert, that kind of thing. Little did I realize that giving up sugar, bread, pasta, etc. was the one step in eating I could do to really combat it.

Anyway, when I first started Atkins, I was in between jobs and had a lot of free time so I did some Tae Bo and jogging. Now I work 9-5 and go to school Mon-Thurs from 6-7:30, so I have little time (actually, technically I have time, but little motivation or energy) to exercise at the beginning or end of these long days. I try to do as much stretching as I can, some crunches here and there, and lift my 8 pound weights in some different ways a few times a week. But the most cardio I get is just walkin around NYC, which actually turns out to be about a mile a day. So I'm moderately active but definitely not in the aerobics type of way.

My point is: I haven't done anything much differently in terms of exercise since I started low-carbing and there the pounds go.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 14:32

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

I don't exercise at first. Its enough just to try to change the way I eat.

And even when I do start to exercise, it is lifting weights and such to change my body shape, not aerobic. And that makes a huge difference in the way I look, feel and carry myself. I use Corey Everson's (sp?) tapes. I really like the way she has always looked, and she does a good job. You can use hand held weights or machines.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 15:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/184/150
BF:not sure
Progress: 26%
Default lost 10lbs no sweat

I have lost 10 llbs in just under a month - with NO exercise.

However, I now realise that I probably could have lost more - had I got off my butt ...

I now have a brisk 30 minute walk once a day... and feel great afterward.

It is all about burning fat - and exercise boosts the metabolism so that fat is burned faster.

For the past 10 years I have had little exercise, mainly due to my job, which keeps me chained to a computer 8-10 hrs a day ...

Now I MAKE time to walk - and find it best to get out and do it in the morning, when you are more motivated and less fatigued...

Once you start, it becomes a habit, because you start feeling really good ...

Best of luck ...

Michael13
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 19:54
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Me, off and on. You will never find me in a gym, but I'm quite active. I have no car, which means a lot of walking, especially in better weather.

Sometimes I'm faithful to my calisthenics routine, but I'm in an "off" period right now.