Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 15:39

Plan: Mod Atkins
Stats: 170/162/110 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 13%
Thumbs up Jan.03 Prevention mag promoting Atkins

Some of you all here may remeber when I posted awhile back about this magizine being against low carbs , well finally they are giving Atkins the credit his diet deserves.
Starting January 14,2003 look for Prevention's Low carb guide at the check out counters. Well I need to go & congratulate them.

Josie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-06-02, 16:29
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

To borrow a phrase from Sheldon, I hope this isn't detrimental to the reputation of the Atkins program. I think Prevention, sadly, has become the National Inquirer of health magazines.

...but hey, the tide is indeed turning!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-06-02, 17:05

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Saw it/bought it

Yes, I saw this today. I bought it. Haven't looked into it. Generally don't buy it because it seemed to bow down to the 1980's lowfat highcarb phenomenon/I mean fiasco! So, I think there is a small article about one man in it there - doing Atkins successfully, but hey it's a start.

I think most people who were out of control binge junkfood eaters (no, I'm not talking about you or anyone else on this board of course - but there are alot of'm out there just look around you) would definately and without a doubt lose weight by cutting out refine sugars, cutting back on ANY carbs - adding veggies, real proteins and healthy fats!!!

Why are people so SURPRISED that they GET HEALTHY and LOSE WEIGHT after they start EATING HEALTHIER?

...but of course it took me 2 years to get "deprogrammed" from the high carb religion and join the healthy eating Atkins way.

I'm looking forward to reading the magazine. Hope it's positive.

N
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 11:02

BF:
Default I was very surprised they didn't bash Atkins

I been getting this magizine for a while, then after I started Atkins I would only read the articles on herbs & exersize, because low carb is the only way I could lose the weight and knew that their weight loss articles were all a waste of time matter a fact I didn't even read some of them & I don't even plan on renewing my subscription, but I may change my mind if I see more postive low carb articles. I posted a while back complaining about this magazine.
Kristine, I know what you mean about them being the "National Inquirer" of health mags.
I can't see why they didn't come around sooner. They must have gotten quite a few letters, I wrote them a while back & they never written me back.

Josie
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 11:13

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default WHERE IS OUR MAGAZINE?

I read the magazine and was very impressed. It was pretty postive and very accurate about Atkins.

WHERE ARE THE LOW CARB MAGAZINES OUT THERE?
I'm not talking about the catalogues for low carb foods either, I mean a fullfledge commercial magazine for people who eat low carb foods. Could include articles, research, success stories, recipes, website, fun stuff, journals, and yes, of course supported by advertisements for low carb foods/products etc etc etc. Why hasn't Atkins published one NATIONALLY - (no not just a catalogue for his foods/which I see he already has and I recieve)... Every week I look at the magazine stands and see NOTHING. There is Vegetarian Times...but nothing for US.

GNC has some magazines that are not against low carb, but they are not called "Low Carb Times" or I love this one: Carnivarianism Times...(ha ha get it? Carnivore?) kind of misleading (we eat more than meat) but I think you get my point. Anyone else have some creative names for a lowcarb magazine???

The first person with start up money to begin this magazine is going to become very very wealthy very very quickly. How can we start a movement/let them (who?) know that we really want our very own magazine! Why hasn't anyone thought/done this yet?

N

Last edited by nsmith4366 : Mon, Dec-09-02 at 11:18.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 12:52

BF:
Cool That would be a great idea

I remeber reading about one but but it's pretty exspensive but it seemedpretty exspensive it sounded more like a little old pamplet & it comes out ever other month. I like to see one as thick as your typical mag & 12 a year , now that I would buy.
I'd also add celebs that do low carbs , so we can all see the proofs not just some one we never seen before.

Josie
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 21:40

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 195/176/125
BF:too much
Progress: 27%
Default wow

Well first of all. that some magazine printed something!
But as it occurs to them there is an audience out here for this...magazines will come.. just as products are slowly appearing on the shelves.. :-)
poofie!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Dec-21-02, 16:06
Wombat Ashramite

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Dana Carpender

Dana Carpender, the author of 500 Low Carb Recipes, publishes an excellent lowcarbezine on her website, Hold the Toast. She's a wonderful writer with a solid understanding of nutrition and her mag is always lots of fun to read (as well as extremely educational). It's not glossy, but there's a wealth of information, and all of the previous issues are archived on the site (going back to 1999). There's plenty to read there until someone realizes that there's a market for a paper magazine.

Digwig

Last edited by digwig : Sat, Dec-21-02 at 16:09.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 11:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 285/285/165
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Hold the Toast

Hey, Digwig! I get Dana's electronic newsletter, and I love it! Even when I fell off the low-carb wagon last year , I kept reading the newsletter. She is one smart (LC) cookie!

Now I'm back on, and somebody tie me down, 'cause I don't wanna fall off again!