Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-02, 07:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 224/222/135
BF:
Progress: 2%
Unhappy Help! Is this normal on induction?

Hi folks. I just have a question about induction. I started back on Atkins on Tuesday after going off in July and have been tracking my food intake on fitday. I have had no more than 22 carbs on any given day and the first two days lost 2 lbs. but have actually gained a lb. since yesterday. Is it normal to gain weight back during induction? I am not using the Ketostix so don't know if I am in ketosis. Any suggestions or advice?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-02, 08:02

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately, it is perfectly normal for your body to go up and down a few pounds consistently. Your time of month, exercise, water intake, and just regular body functions cause this. You might try just weighing once a week so that you will see more consistency. I used to weigh everyday and it just would deflate me when it went up even one pound! Once a week will be much more accurate! Cindi
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-02, 08:14

Stats: 162/157/125 Female 5' 2"
BF:28%/28%/20%
Progress: 14%

I've found that my weight fluctuates 3 lbs up and down from day to day, and even throughout the day. I'm losing weight though, and get a real charge when I see a new "low". I do weigh myself everyday, but don't get discouraged. I'm eating well and feeling good.

You need to get through a good 2 weeks to see real results. I'm now on my third attempt, because I cheated and was discouraged originally. I'm sticking to the plan now because I am determined, and for the first time in a long, long while, I am under 150! I'm now 10 days on plan, and 4 lbs down.

#4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-02, 08:31

Stats: 224/222/135
BF:
Progress: 2%

Thanks so much for your quick responses

I know I shouldn't weigh in every day but I was so pumped about starting this WOE again (I lost 20 lbs in 3 months last time on Atkins before going carb crazy and gaining 16 back) I just wanted to see some loss again. I will try to stay off the scales this week and see what happens.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-02, 08:37

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%

Yea, your weight will go up and down all the time.. Its water
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 10:44
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

My weight varies almost 5 pounds from morning till afternoon...

It's just the body chemistry working. The real picture is at the end of each week, just to see which direction you're moving in. Don't rely too much on the day to day numbers, just track them over time without stressing about them, and in a good month you'll see what's up!

#7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 10:43
Contributing Member

Plan: lowcarb .
Stats: 160/141/127 Female 5'6"
BF:it"s for SALE!
Progress: 58%

Every time I loss 3-5 pounds I always gain 1-2 back... I think it's just my body getting "settled in" to the new weight.

Take are

cin
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 11:26

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Post Normal...

Yup, sounds normal to me. During Induction, my weight jumped around here and there about as much as my moods and headaches!

But things will settle down. Stay the course and get through that 2 weeks with as clean a program as you can. Then stick with it some more and you'll be feeling better and getting more consistant readings when you weigh in.

P.S. Of course you'll want to weigh in at the same time each day. And by all means, don't be a slave to that scale!

Good luck to you!

Donald