Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-10-07, 18:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/178/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default 4.5 weeks on Atkins...

I feel like crap all the time! Ive had a pounding headache for 2 weeks, Im depressed and cranky!!!!!!! On the positive side Ive lost about 10lbs. Im so frustrated .

Perhaps I will eat some boring special k twice a day, then healthy dinner! I dont know what to do. The bf and I are doing the atkins diet together, he likes it - and we eat, shop, cook together. So that part is hard.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-10-07, 18:46

Stats: 220/189/170 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 62%

In a few of the books, it says that headaches can be caused by the diuretic effect of the diet if you aren't getting enough water. Are you drinking at least 64 oz of water a day?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-10-07, 18:53
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobie
In a few of the books, it says that headaches can be caused by the diuretic effect of the diet if you aren't getting enough water. Are you drinking at least 64 oz of water a day?

Yes! I drink at least 3 glasses in the evening, and always carry a water bottle during the day. I add crystal light to my water a few glasses a day...
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-10-07, 19:11
Give A Damn

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 293/234.4/175 Female 5' 5 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

crystal light always gave me a headache when i started atkins. i never used to have a problem with splenda and aspartame but seems once i had cut out all the bad carbs it was suddenly a problem.. just my two cents
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-10-07, 19:16
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NixCarbos
crystal light always gave me a headache when i started atkins. i never used to have a problem with splenda and aspartame but seems once i had cut out all the bad carbs it was suddenly a problem.. just my two cents

Thanks after I posted the crystal comment - I thought oh what a dumba$$! I will cut that out of my diet, and see how I do! I will just have to force myself to drink water. I could do ice tea as well.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-10-07, 19:19
Give A Damn

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 293/234.4/175 Female 5' 5 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

not a dumbass! I've learned a lot being on this website. Things I thought were good are not really and other things I would never have thought of trying are good to eat on induction!

enjoy this forum!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-10-07, 19:22
Registered Member

BF:

Crystal Light is sooo tasty, and that Hawaiin Punch one! YUM! Oh well, having a headache bites big time. Hopefully this helps (cutting it out of my diet).

I also like those low carb ice cream bars, I suppose I will kick those out as well. Odd thing, I NEVER ate ice cream before low carb diet! I mean maybe once a year tops, never was a dessert eater. Now I crave them! Today I wanted a cinabon lol.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-10-07, 19:29

BF:

Remember you've still got to have at least 64 oz of pure water, in addition to any other sugar free beverages that you might drink!

Coffee, tea, etc don't count as a serving of water.

Artificial sweetners can also cause cravings for some people!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-10-07, 19:34
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobie
Remember you've still got to have at least 64 oz of pure water, in addition to any other sugar free beverages that you might drink!

Coffee, tea, etc don't count as a serving of water.

Artificial sweetners can also cause cravings for some people!

Ah crud lol. Okay tomorrow I will make a conscious effort to drink at least that of PLAIN water .

For tonight I will sip my one rum and diet soda - then a glass of water!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-10-07, 19:45

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Crystal Light is sooo tasty, and that Hawaiin Punch one! YUM! Oh well, having a headache bites big time. Hopefully this helps (cutting it out of my diet).

What a difference a generation makes!! Crystal Light, to me, tastes like kool-aid which my kids loved and I hated!! I like a squeeze of lemon in my water - might be worth a try!!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-10-07, 19:54
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendarc
What a difference a generation makes!! Crystal Light, to me, tastes like kool-aid which my kids loved and I hated!! I like a squeeze of lemon in my water - might be worth a try!!

LOL! Well I am 25...my mom never let us have koolaid! She is a vegan, and health food nut. I had it at friends of course .

I will put lemon in mine, hadnt even thought of that - of course I get it restaurants, just never do it at home. Oooh or a slice of cucumber is great in ice water!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-11-07, 02:43
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 238/220.4/178 Female 6ft1in
BF:40%/39%/??
Progress: 29%

If you are doing Atkins, then Special k is a big no-no. I assume that is the same as it is over here, crunchy breakfast cereal? That probably won't be helping, also the icecream bars are probably not doing much for feeling good either!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-11-07, 04:44

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

I know this is the Atkins thread, but from Dr Mike Eades perspective, tea does count; his comment was something along the lines of "what do they think, the water disappears when you dunk the tea bag in it?"..... lol
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-11-07, 07:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl
I know this is the Atkins thread, but from Dr Mike Eades perspective, tea does count; his comment was something along the lines of "what do they think, the water disappears when you dunk the tea bag in it?"..... lol

Yeah, but it's better to make sure you have enough water, than to assume that coffee and tea count as water and then end up with mild dehydration (which can stall weight loss). Any caffeinated beverage is definitely not counted in your total water intake, as caffeine has a diuretic effect in some people (which is exactly the opposite of what you're aiming for!).
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-11-07, 09:32

Plan: atkins
Stats: 216/195/140 Female 5 6
BF:
Progress: 28%

maybe the rum is the culprit. isnt alcohol a sugar

i cant touch the stuff...it makes me violently ill. i think it has something to do with yeast and the fact that i have been so indunated with carbs my whole life