Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 10:25

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 144/144/120
BF:don't know
Progress: 0%
Red face should I count carbs and calories too?

Ok, I'll keep trying to lose weight, but when I stick to a low carb diet should I count calories too? I mean, suppose I have only 10 carbs all day--it doesn't mean I can eat 6 steaks just because it doesn't have any carbs, does it? So, should I count calories too? Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 11:33

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

If you count your carbs, eat healthy oils/fats and include the fiber of your green vegetables you should be not only low carbing in a healthy sensible way, but feeling full after each meal ...

...desiring and continuing to eat or "binge" on (even low carb items) past the point of hunger, good health, necessity or pleasure (eating 6 steaks for example) signals that you may still continue to have other "issues" with food that need to be resolved.

A space in your life being "filled" with food? Anger issues? Never getting enough of what you need issues?

NOT saying that you have these issues, you probably don't. And if not, the answer is - eating low carb is intended to be a healthy way of eating and living. Eating 6 steaks or 3 tubs of butter or 6 packs of bacon is neither. Atkins should be taking us from unhealthy eating patterns to healthIER eating patterns. If you are hoping for/looking for an eat all you possibly can and you still won't gain (or be unhealthy) don't look here.

Even on a low carb plan there is common sense and healthy beautiful well balanced nutritionally complete and tastebud satisfying meals. My humbled advice is to eat those meals and only those meals.

(eating 6 steaks - I believe excess protein can lead to an insulin response also - yes? anyone else?)

Last edited by nsmith4366 : Sun, Dec-01-02 at 11:34.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 12:15

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

lamb4him..

yes, it stands to reason that you're not going to lose weight if you're consuming 4,000 calories a day even if it's low carb food. The idea is to eat until you are satisfied , not stuffed.
One of the nicest things about eating low carb is that for most people hunger tends to disappear once they are past the initial 4 or 5 days of carb withdrawal and many people find it difficult to consume enough calories.
Low carb isn't a license to gorge yourself on bacon and sausage or even steak for that matter; it's about eating enough proteins and fats to satisfy you and keep you from feeling hungry between meals and eating healty low carb veggies as well.
If you are just starting, my advice would be eat if you are hungry (genuinely hungry, not thirsty or just wanting to much on something) and worry about counting calories if and when it becomes an issue.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 12:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

Well, I'm going to disagree just a tiny bit here. In the book, Atkins recommends eating every six waking hours, regardless of hunger, to avoid binges like you mentioned. If you keep your blood sugars more normalized by smaller and more frequent meals, you're less likely to want six steaks at a sitting. A small low-carb snack is all that's needed sometimes, and this rule has helped me avoid getting so hungry that I over-eat on anything.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 13:16

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Ummm...I don't think lamb4 is actually eating 6 steaks at a sitting, but was using that as an extreme example.

You're right, though, that eating smaller more frequent meals is a good way to prevent getting so hungry that you wind up binging. Even if you're not hungry, Dr. Atkins recommends eating at least a small protein snack. Eating enough fat and fiber is also important as well as drinking plenty of water.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 15:13

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I knew it was just an example....I meant it as just an example too in my response...you know, hypothetically. I'm sure no one could even possibly consume 6 steaks! (although I could be wrong)

N