Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-29-02, 10:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%
Talking Well, the party's over...HOW DID WE ALL DO???

Happy Day After Thanksgiving...

I'm kind of feeling good about how things went yesterday. I ate plenty of turkey and roast beef, the cauliflower cassarole I brought, my grammy's cole slaw (no sugar) and my own LC cheesecake for dessert. Had coffee with half and half and completely ignored the pies. (And my favorite carrot cake in the world that my mother bought to "surprise" me!! -- I think the surprise was on her! )

I'm curious about how everyone else fared...even if you blew it big time, this may be a good place to get rid of the guilt and start new! But I'm betting most people have some cheers coming...

And I gained 2 this morning, but I'm not too worried after a feast like that. I'm sure it will even out soon...Newbies especially may take some comfort in that!

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-29-02, 10:53
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

I'm on CAD and stuck to plan and my 60 minute Reward Meal limit. I had turkey, prime rib, macaroni & cheese, stuffing, candied sweet potatoes, rolls, butter, sparking cider and gingerbread. It was totally unbalanced and a carb feast! I feel fine today and I'm just getting hungry!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-29-02, 11:11

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%
Default Made a decision to mess up

Well, ever since I got home to visit the parents, they've been very confused as to what I do and do not eat. I didn't want to be a lectured at spectacle at dinner, so I chose to eat a couple things not exactly low carb. I loaded up on turkey and veggie casseroles (both of which I'm sure had something wrong in them) and took two bites of stuffing and one of mashed potatoes (no gravy, though!). I also ate a bit of this cranberry relish my mother and I made with cranberries, apples, oranges, and Splenda ground up. The recipe book said a serving was 5 carbs and that was intended to be made with sugar. So that seems to be okay, if I were on a maintenance plan, anyway. I also made sure to CAD the meal, and no PIE!

So I fudged up, but not too bad. Probably gonna stick to as low carb as I can manage (what with my parents, for instance, taking me to a Thai noodle shop the other day) while I'm here and back on induction for a few days when I get back to jumpstart the old engine.

Just sharing. I thought I did pretty well for cheating. I didn't even want those mashed potatoes, how cool am I?

Hope nobody feels too guilty!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-29-02, 11:26

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I pretty much stayed on track with Turkey, gravy thickened with guar gum, brussels sprouts with bacon, onions and cheese and pumpkin custard with whipped cream for dessert. Total carbs for the meal were around 12.
The only "cheat" I had all day was a handful of popcorn while the kids and I were watching a movie and that couldn't have been more than 5 grams so all in all it was a pretty successful day. My worst temptation time is yet to come with the holiday season and all the sweets (my biggest temptation) and treats that abound for the next month, but I've found that as long as I don't let myself get hungry it's not terribly difficult to turn down the sweets and that I can't let myself fall into the trap of "oh, just one taste won't hurt" because I did that last year and couldn't stop with just one taste.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-29-02, 11:51

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 186/161/138 Female 65 inches
BF:38/30ish/?
Progress: 52%

I was on day 6 of induction and didn't go off plan. AND I EVEN LOST A POUNT!!!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-29-02, 19:11

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 195/176/125
BF:too much
Progress: 27%
Default I did well!

I did my work out before we left..
I ate what I planned and no more than I planned.
So I am feeling pleased with myself ;-)
Poofie!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-29-02, 20:38
Registered Member

Plan: Shoogadownsizing!
Stats: 205/145/150 Female 5'4"
BF:F/C/C
Progress: 109%

The only thing I ate that wasn't legal was a small serving of stuffing. I did eat larger portions of the legal stuff so my calories were up for the day but I'm still proud of myself for passing on mashed potatoes, rolls, and all 8 of the pies. I didn't even eat any pumpkin bread with chocolate chips.
asugar
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-02, 05:51
Registered Member

Plan: LowCarb
Stats: 154/150/128 Female 176cm (5'9")
BF:
Progress: 15%

I was good.

Thanksgiving was at my place so I had control over most of the things. The only thing that I did separate for the guests was mashed potatoes and I didnt even taste them for seasoning when I was mashing them!

The whole day cost me 26g of carbs, but as asugar I did eat more of the fatty things so my calories were higher than usual.

I think I pass with flying colours
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-02, 06:13
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%
Default Wellllllllll........

I actually thought I did pretty good, but the scale is telling me otherwise I'm on CALP and stuck to the plan which allows some high-carb foods as along as they are balanced with protein and vegetables.... I thought I stuck pretty well to the plan but did have a dessert. Two days later I'm weighing in two pounds heavier, but most of that must be water because I KNOW I didn't overeat by 7,000 calories!!! If I can concentrate on getting my water in, I feel pretty sure I'll be back down to 155 in a day or two.

So, all in all, I did fine....and I had a wonderful time!

Last edited by TeriDoodle : Sat, Nov-30-02 at 06:36.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-02, 06:14
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Sounds like pretty good reports so far...I kinda figured it wouldn't be so hard!!

#11   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-02, 05:50
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Excellent question!

Fortunately my mother is also low carbing, so she made stuffing out of Nature's Own 100% whole wheat bread which is 7 g of carbs a slice. I also used Atkins flour to make my gravy and she made low carb pumpkin squares. I DID have a spoonful of mashed potatoes, however.

I didn't seem to have the bloating and ill effects of too many carbs the next day, so I took that as a sign I didn't overdo it. I know I went over my usual carb amount that day, but I don't think I went over around 50 or 60g.

I didn't lose any weight (maybe even gained back a pound-can't tell yet) but I seem to have lost another 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch in my waist.

Paleo
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-02, 09:29

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/177/167
BF:
Progress: 68%

Posting this cuz I know I'm not the only one...

I went "off" for a few days. My husband was very strict about "no diet for you" and I figured it was easier (and more enjoyable) to just go along.

I had everything - turkey, potatoes (just a tad of white, mostly sweet potatoes), green bean casserole, a little stuffing, cranberry sauce, gravy (mmm), creamed onions (yep, made with a little flour and milk), and a tiny piece of pie. LOTS of turkey. I also had a bottle of champagne during the day, a breakfast bagel in the morning, and pastry on Friday morning. Went back to LC but then had more bad stuff Sat night (1/2 yam) and yesterday wasn't great - 1 slice pizza (didn't eat all the crust) and a few bites of a cinnabon.

NOW I'm back to LC, although with all the leftover turkey I'll probably have a couple drips of gravy - it's mostly fat, hardly any flour in it. And no one will eat it but me (the turkey). I'm throwing the rest of the stuff out. I have LC bread so I can have huge turkey & cheese sandwiches without feeling guilty.

Here's the thing: I'm not "thin", I'm not "fat", I'm not "at goal" (but I'm not far off), I weigh (or did, last week...) a couple pounds less than I did when I got pregnant 2 years ago - the same as I did when I got married, I can comfortably wear a size 12, can wear shorts in public without being embarrassed, and generally look pretty good.

I'm not considering the past four days as a setback or a threat to my success - past or future. It's back to LC because it is the best WOE for me. I don't have the metabolism to eat "whatever I want" - or I would. But given the options, I'd much rather eat meat and fats than salads and bread with no mayo or butter.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and kudos to all you that managed to stay on track!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-02, 10:12

Stats: 181/164/150
BF:
Progress: 55%

I took Thanksgiving and the day following off. I figured if I didn't I'd feel like I was missing out and didn't want that "poor me" thing hanging over my head. I did make a sugar free chocolate pie and I really enjoyed it. I don't feel bad about taking the holiday off it was enjoyable and tasted great!

Oh, by the way Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's meals have all calories and carbs removed in the holiday cooking seasoning
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-02, 10:58
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default guilty

Ok, Ok I admit it - I had a piece of PECAN pie and it was so good!!!!!!

I haven't weighed myself, yet (I'd prefer the hammer to the head) but the clothes are fitting fine so I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

I drank my breakfast protein shake and tried to think happy thoughts. (Christmas.......)
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-02, 13:33

Plan: low salt
Stats: 207/236/160 Female 5'10"
BF:44.1%/33.86%/?
Progress: -62%
Thumbs up Turkey Day

I did great ! I had a small amount of just about everything on the first trip. That included ham, mashed potatoes, green beans, cranberry juice and a very yummy marshmallow coconut desert.

We decided to take a nice walk before venturing back for the second plate. My second plate consisted of only protein and veggie. I could care less about sugar, but the amount I did have tasted great.

I felt zero guilt and had a heck of a lot more energy after Turkey Day than I usually do! Not to mention I was so happy to see the scale stable from Turkey Day through today instead of the gain I have experienced for the past 10 months!!!

Have a great week,
Julie