Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-07, 12:54

Plan: Atkins Phase I/CCLL = 40
Stats: 187/165/135 Female 65 inches
BF:?%/30%/25%
Progress: 42%
Default Yankee's don't eat pork rinds?!

I cannot find pork rinds in the Northeast USA. What is up with that? I just had to buy them off of amazon.com. Anybody else love pork rinds and know where to find them in New England?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-07, 12:58
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

I know all of the Shaw's stores in Northern New Hampshire sell them. Have you tried looking there?

Kay
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-07, 13:06

Plan: General LC
Stats: 00/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'm in NY, but if you have any Dollar Stores there, those are great places to find pork rinds.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-07, 13:10

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

the stop & shops in massachusetts carried them when i lived there. you can also check out some of the specialty stores, especially ones that cater to latinos and portuguese. i always found them there, too.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-07, 13:55

Plan: Atkins Phase I/CCLL = 40
Stats: 187/165/135 Female 65 inches
BF:?%/30%/25%
Progress: 42%
Default Thanks, I will check it out these locations. :-)

I used to be able to find them at my local Shaws but they are no longer in the snack isle. If you ask one of the employees, they just look at you like you are nuts. LOL

I have also been using the Stop and Shop online delivery service (Peapod) but they do not carry them. My husband used to buy them and I had never heard of them when he first brought them home. Now I am hooked and can only get them on Amazon.com. I sometimes travel to the White Mountains in NH. I will have to check the Shaws there. It may just be the area that I am living in.

I guess that it is good that my hubby likes them. I just ordered two cases off of amazon. LOL I need to find a local spot to buy them so that when I get a "craving" I don't have to wait 2 days for delivery!

Thanks everyone! :-)
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-07, 14:02
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Quote:
used to be able to find them at my local Shaws but they are no longer in the snack isle.

Hmmmm....maybe I should pack some to take with me when I go up to NH for the summer this year. Thanks for the heads up about Shaws.

Kay
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-07, 14:44

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtywater
I have also been using the Stop and Shop online delivery service (Peapod) but they do not carry them.

the only reason they don't is because peapod is set up to be universal across all the stop & shop stores, and won't offer certain foods that are carried by individual stores. if i remember right, when you place your order, you don't have the option of choosing which store you're getting the food from. so yeah, you're not going to find pork rinds on peapod... you'd have to go to the store itself to find them. the next time you do, check in the mexican foods aisle, and also look on the bottom shelf of the chips aisle, probably near the tortilla chips. you might find a few bags of the plain pork rinds there.

each department's manager is responsible for ordering the items stocked (obviously), but each store is located in a slightly different demographic area. certain stores will only carry certain items, especially when you're looking at ethnic foods (and pork rinds count as ethnic... sort of). also keep in mind that different stores do different volumes of sales and have to tailor their stock accordingly.

i know all this because i used to work in the stop & shop corporate headquarters, in the bake shop sales office (imagine low-carbing while vendors bring in cookies, cakes, bagels, rolls, muffins, at least twice a week). one of the (many) things i had to keep track of was which stores had kosher bake shops, and what items they weren't allowed to carry.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-07, 17:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 146/142/120 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 15%

I love pork rinds, but I have to be careful with them... they're so salty they make me retain water like nobody's business.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-07, 17:48

Plan: Healthy Low Carb
Stats: 190/143.6/125 Female 5'2"
BF:Don't want to know

Hi - I used to live in NY a few years back and a few groceries had them (also at the height of lcing). Here in NJ they don't have them that I can find. I've checked Stop and Shop, A&P and Wegmans. Also Kings. Guess I'll be ordering online too, although I never thought to check a dollar store. Probably cheaper too!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-07, 18:17

Plan: General LC
Stats: 00/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FtballMom
Hi - I used to live in NY a few years back and a few groceries had them (also at the height of lcing). Here in NJ they don't have them that I can find. I've checked Stop and Shop, A&P and Wegmans. Also Kings. Guess I'll be ordering online too, although I never thought to check a dollar store. Probably cheaper too!

I have actually found them spordically at Wegmans, but MUCH more expensive than the dollar store! At my local Family Dollar, they are always 2 for $1.00.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-07, 01:35
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KvonM
look on the bottom shelf of the chips aisle, probably near the tortilla chips. you might find a few bags of the plain pork rinds there.
This is exactly where I find them at the Albertson's where I shop.

Also, the kind I buy are "Baken-ets [brand] Fried Pork Skins." Not pork rinds, but pork skins.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-07, 05:59
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb(my own)Pregnant
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 21%

I dont know what grocery store you have there but most selll them do you have a walmart they make thier own