Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 15:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/214/155 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 16%
Question Big Splenda Question

I went to the Splenda site, and they say that there are almost no carbs in Splenda, and yet I read repeatedly here and other places that there are about 24 carbs in a cup. Who is pulling my leg??
Carolyn
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 17:15
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Carolyn,

Splenda in the powder form has 0.5 carbs per teaspoon, which translates to 24g in a cup.

I think the site must be assuming you'll only use 1 teaspoon or so at a time, in which case, yes, it does have almost no carbs.

The carbs themselves actually come from the filler used to bulk it out. So technically, Splenda itself is virtually carb free. Splenda liquid is almost carb free, but until it is available commercially, we have to make do with the few carbs.

If you have access to Splenda tablets, they are very much lower in carbs than the powder (very little filler).

HTH!

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-26-02, 09:14
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs up

Ahhhhhh! Now I understand.....ho hum, here I thought I may have some new and exciting news.....wrong again!
Thanks Rosebud!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 16:03
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 174/138/135
BF:
Progress: 92%
Default Splenda tablets

Some people have mentioned using Splenda tablets instead of the pourable------much less filler and carbs!
the question is ----where do you buy it --either in Canada or on the internet? Can anyone help?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 17:10
Registered Member

BF:
Unhappy

I don't think that we can get them here, but it anyone knows....share your info please!!!
Carolyn
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-17-02, 00:17

Stats: 161/152/125 Female 64
BF:35/32/18
Progress: 25%
Default Splenda Tablets

I just got back from Australia, where I ran into these things in a Coles supermarket marked as a "discontinued item." That's the only time I've run into them. I bought a bunch, but it appears that the source is drying up. Have any Aussie friends?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-17-02, 12:40
Registered Member

BF:
Default Splenda Tabs

One of the people on a low carb list that I'm on submitted a web address for an Aussie site that sells the tabs. I ordered them, but have no idea how long it will take. But the nice thing is that I could afford to do it, because the Aussie $ is worth slightly less than the Canadian one ! I didn't think there was anything worth less than the Canadian $ right now. I never order from the States, cause by the time I pay shipping and exchange, it more than doubles and sometimes triples the price! I don't think there is a low carb product on the market worth that kind of $!!

What do you think of the tabs? I'm anxious to get mine!

Carolyn
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-17-02, 12:47
Registered Member

BF:
Talking Splenda tabs

Oops! I meant to add this address.

http://www.nationalpharmacies.com.a...php?prodID=5604

I still don't know if these will ship to me, although I did get a confirmation of the order. I will post the results as to whether I get them or not.

Carolyn
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-02, 01:15

Stats: 161/152/125 Female 64
BF:35/32/18
Progress: 25%

I like the tabs. The box says they have .3 cal per tablet. They also use lactose as the binder instead of maltitol, which is evil for some perople. I also like the convenience of the container. It holds 300 tablets, so instead of carting about a handful (well that may be an exaggeration ) of packets I carry a container that you can refill.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-02, 11:53

Plan: mix of Atkins/Carb Addict
Stats: 188/185/135 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 6%

I know I've seen the tablets around... my grandfather is diabetic and carries them for his coffee (though I'm not sure which store he buys from). And I'm certain I've seen liquid sweetener in the grocery store. (Splenda or Equal)I've just never tried it! I'm going to look for it when I shop this week, and I'll let everyone know where I found it and what it's like!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Dec-20-02, 13:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Greetings, all.

Just so you know, there's a TON of info on Splenda, and other sweeteners, too, in the LowCarb PRODUCTS Forum. You may find it helpful to check it out, as lots of experienced and non-experienced low-carbers have been discussing these things there for over 2 years.

There's also a lot of information about Canadian sources and Canadian products in the Local LowCarbing Support::Canada Forum, too. Another great place to spend some time when looking for particularly Canadian things.

By the way, the only sweetener tablets (very low carb) available in Canada thus far, retail, are the Equal (aspartame) tablets and the Hermesetas (saccharin or cyclamates) tablets.

The only liquid sweeteners available in Canada thus far is the Sugar Twin (sodium cyclamate) - grocery stores - and Sucaryl (sodium or calcium cyclamate) - pharmacies only.

Almost every pharmacy and drug store carries a pretty good selection of sweeteners. Ask if you can't find them.

sig: Products Forum Moderator and fellow Canadian.