Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 16:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 336/310/200 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default What are you cooking for Thanksgiving

Looking for some good suggestions/advice on what to prepare for Thanksgiving. We are having lots of kids and 2 families, I know they will bring their traditional high sugar/starch side dished but I am looking for some low carb recipies that you may have made and found to be YUMMY!!! Thanks, Melissa
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 17:49

Plan: carb addict
Stats: 153/153/130
BF:
Progress: 0%

this will probably not be a popular reply, but, i'll have a regular thanksgiving dinner( not eat til i'm sick) but just have dinner with my family and we'll go walking that night. we walk at night at the university's track, anyway.
susan
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 20:31
Registered Member

Plan: Modified LC
Stats: 221/160/146 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 81%
Default Thanksgiving Dinner

I'm planning to eat lots of turkey! I'm making a cranberry jello/cream cheese/pecan thing to eat with my turkey. I have NO intention of blowing my progress for the sake of one meal.

I do like reading all the receipe ideas folks have been posting.

Regards,
Karla
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-02, 07:36

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

My mom cooks the turkey and all the carby stuff: potatoes, stuffing, squashes, gravy. I'll make a lowcarb cheesecake, jalapeno poppers, green beans and probably asparagus. No cheats for me either.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-02, 11:44

Stats: 336/310/200 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 19%
Question Dark Lotus

Hi there thanks for responding to my post, I am curious I LOVE jalapeno poppers are the ones you eat, home made or store bought, the only ones I have seen at the store are breaded. If you make them I would appreciate a recipe! Thanks, Melissa
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-02, 23:44

Plan: Trying Atkins
Stats: 130/122/115
BF:
Progress: 53%
Unhappy Thanksgiving and on Induction!

HI Everyone,
What should you do if you are on induction over Thankgiving? Can i eat as much turkey as I want (minus gravy)? Are cranberries ok? What about pumpkin or apple pie minus eating the crust? Thanks for the help in advance!
~Corie
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-02, 07:13

I make them, they are quite easy. I varied my recipe a little from some ones I saw on the net. You buy some nice big jalapenos, wash them, cut them in half and seed them. I wear gloves so I don't get it in my eyes at any point. I have tried just cutting the tops off of the jalapenos, you don't get as much filling in and the cheese doesn't crisp up as nicely. So that's why I half them.

Next step, fry up some extra lean hamburger with a small onion, a clove of garlic, salt and pepper to taste. Fry until hamburger is cooked all the way through. You can drain it if you want when it's done. I add the hamburg onion mixture to cream cheese (I used two packages) and mix it. The filling being warm helps the cream cheese mix a little better. Next I add in some fresh chives, these really add some flavor. Put the filling inside the jalapenos and really stuff em. Top with shredded cheese and bake until cheese is brown and starting to crisp (350 I believe). I bought a block of cheese because all of the shredded cheeses had potato starch in them to prevent caking.

These were a huge hit with my family, even my mom who isn't a lowcarber loved them! The leftovers even come out good. Good luck!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-02, 10:34

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 125/125/125 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 59%

That sounds like a great recipe! One question, is that 3 oz. pkgs of cream cheese or the large 8 oz.?
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-02, 10:37

Two big ones, the 8 oz.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-02, 10:47

BF:

I don't know why I didn't ask about the amounts of the other ingredients in my earlier post!

About how much hamburger? And about how many pepper halves does that recipe fill?
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-02, 10:54

Yeah, I was pretty vague wasn't I? I' one of those cooks who doesn't measure much. I used about 3 lbs of ground beef and I had enough for 2 batches of about 20 peppers each.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-02, 11:25

BF:

Thanks, DarkLotus. I'm definitely going to try those Jalapeno Poppers!

Thought I'd share a couple of my traditional T-giving side dishes that happen to work well with the low-carb WOE.

Green Jello Salad
Sm. package lime jello (sugar-free)
4 oz. cream cheese
2 oz. pecans, chopped
2 stalks celery, finely chopped

Add 1 c. boiling water to jello. Add half of the cream cheese and stir until well blended. Add 1 c. cold water. Chill about 20-30". Chop the pecans and celery. When jello is partly set, add celery, pecans and remaining cream cheese, cutting it into tiny pieces. Stir and chill. You may want to go back and stir gently again after another 15" or so to make sure the nuts and celery don't settle to the bottom. (My pre-Atkins version used sugared jello and 1/2 c. pineapple tidbits, and sometimes marachino cherry bits, but it's delicious this way, too.)

Thanksgiving Green Beans
1 lb. green beans, ends removed
3-4 cloves fresh garlic
2 Tbsp. (or so) butter
Small package sliced mushrooms
Splash white wine (OK to skip if you don't want a few xtra carbs)
Parmesean cheese

Steam green beans until barely tender (about 10"). Saute garlic and mushrooms in butter. When green beans are crisp/tender, toss into skillet with mushrooms. Add splash of white wine and saute just a couple of minutes. When ready to serve, top with parmesean cheese.

Yummy! Even my kids love these green beans!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 10:41

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Post Some alternatives

Instead of mashed potatoes, try mashing up some cauliflower. Load it up with butter and it gives a similar sensation. I think there's some recipes out there on variations.

Add pumpkin spices to your lo-carb cheesecake to get the 'pumpkin pie' sensations- top with real whipped cream and off you go! Yummy!

I believe we can also have some type of creamed spinach (if you like that kind of stuff). I saw a recipe for it somewhere...

I don't feel like falling back on my progress, so I'm even going so far as to making my gravy with the ThickenThin not/Starch-- hopefully it still will taste good.

Good luck and Happy T-giving!

Nikki
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 16:22

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I'll be bringing my Broccoli/Cauliflower Casserole as a side dish for Thanksgiving dinner...

Here's the recipe:

Place 1 large package frozen broccoli & cauliflower cuts in a bowl (thawed or frozen), cover with plastic wrap and microwave until very tender (I usually cook mine about 12 minutes).

Mash with a potato masher to desired consistencey. Add 4 oz softened cream cheese, 3 tablespoons butter, dash of garlic powder. Mix. Add 1.5 cups shredded cheese (I use cheddar/jack mix). Fold into sprayed 9 x 13 casserole dish and top with 1/3 cup grated parmesean cheese.

Bake at 400 until brown, bubbly and you can't resist the wonderful smell anymore...

It's great with meats (turkey too!) and I like it even better reheated in the oven a day later. My guests like it too. Easy to double if you need more.

I'm also bringing a tray of shrimp, cheese and cold meats to pass around while we gather in the afternoon before the big feed.

Good luck and good health to us all this holiday season!

Donald
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 17:13

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

oh! I haven't even figured this out yet!

This year, it looks like there's only going to be 4 of us around the table

I do know I"ll be cooking turkey and ham....daughter only eats ham. I also know I'll have potatoes....I'd be hung (by the same daughter) if I didn't!

I've been looking at the forum for some ideas for other things....so far I've come up with a green bean dish, stuffed mushrooms, roasted pecans...who know what else I'll find.

The one thing I am having is a piece of mince pie. It's a family tradition....and a friend has agreed to take home all leftovers!

Hope you all have a great day!