Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 07:40

Plan: Swarzbein
Stats: 312/294/160
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default New to group

Hi everyone, I have been lurking for a bit but realized I have to post, it's part of the commitment I have made to myself

I have lots of weight to lose and have been fooling around for a few months. I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes in August and did not come to grips with it until yesterday. I don't have to be on any meds, just control my carbs. I monitor my BS and without all the prossesed carbs it is so in the normal range, when I eat sweets and white things it does go up, but not that high yet. I had to ask my self what was I waiting for? Complications to set in? Having to be on meds?. What a dope, I didn't know how lucky I was to catch this disease now.

When I'm 100% on LC I feel great and my appetite does decrease but my head is still at odds with myself. I didn't get this way just because I like food, there is an awful lot of emotional eating involved.

How do you all deal with that? I don't have to be hungry to want to eat. I guess this for me is the hardest part, and I know it won't go away by its self. Any suggestions?

Thanks for listening, from reading your posts, I can tell your all caring people.

Honeyone
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 07:48
The evolution of me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Hi honeyone -

Welcome!

I understand where you are coming from... I do.

The thing is we all have obstacles in our lives and we can't have everything we want is what it comes down to.

This is the closest for me as far as eating is concerned. I have dieted more or less constantly for my whole life. I lost over 80lbs 10 years ago and managed to keep it off. Although the last 10 years was dieting and exercising religiously and only keeping it off - not losing anymore. It was so frustrating for me to always be hungry and always "being good" and never losing more weight.

Well this WOE has truly helped with the hunger part. And there are so many combinations of truly enjoyable food that I really think, at least for me, that my goals are finally attainable and I don't feel that i'm giving up that much this time. In fact I feel better now.

And... when you are hungry (emotionally or not) eat something protein. You are allowed to eat now - stop feeling guilty. I believe the guilt is more fuel for the emotional eaters fire.

I hope you have a good experience with your LC adventure too.

All the best...
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 14:09

Plan: Lchf
Stats: 340/246/170 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 55%

Hi Honeyone~
Welcome to the forum. Emotional eating is very hard...........but you need to fill that hunger with something else.........something that will nurture you..............please you, give you pleasure..........something you like to do or that makes you feel good~
Hope to see more of your posts~
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 16:08

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Smile Welcome!

So glad you found us, Honeyone, and that you've de-lurked yourself!

I'd venture to guess that a high percentage of us in the Triple Digits Club got here due to emotional eating issues. Whether it's by turning to food for comfort, out of boredom, or in times of stress and sadness, many of us think of food as our "special friend" instead of what it really is...fuel.

As you point out, faithfully LCing will cause you to feel better. The good news is that those good feelings tend to stick around and for manyof us get better and better. Of course, it's natural to feel better as your esteem begins to grow while your weight decreases. LCing truly is the answer!

It is important to find other things to occupy yourself when you have urges to turn to food. For me, I throw myself into this forum and try to plan new menus. It's preparation that keeps me on track. So if it's food I long for, I address that in healthy ways.

I'll get out of the way now so others can welcome you to the group and share their wisdom.

Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum!

Donald
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 16:44
Registered Member

Stats: 282/220/166
BF:36.9%/28.6%/23%
Progress: 53%
Default Hi Honeyone

Try going to the "general low carb" forum and find on there a thread we started (actually we started it here) on "Dr. Phil's Questions". We have been answering them one per week, and are now up to week 4, but you are welcome to start at the beginning with week 1.

Essentially they help you to come to grips with what your emotional issues ARE regarding food and what you eat. I've found a whole lot more understanding of where I'm coming from with respect to my efforts, my self sabotage, my fears, etc.

Some of those things lurk in the back of your mind and if you don't face them you don't overcome them. Sometimes just bringing things out to the light of day helps make "big monsters" seem smaller.

Good luck and welcome aboard. You will find a lot of good people here.
Sherry
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-02, 14:44

Plan: M&E no cheese no cream
Stats: 286/277.8/175 Female 170 cms
BF:130/126.1/80 KILO
Progress: 7%
Default dr Phil

Hi Sherri and Honey! Welcome to Honey, you came with a very good question about emotional eating. I know that I have considered my fat my protection for a long time, so I half consciously sabotaged weightloss. Now I hope to be over that and I'm seriously trying,
Sherri, these questions by dr Phil seem very interesting, but I can't find them!! can you help?
thanks!
Willeke
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-02, 14:52

Default picture question Lisa

Hi Lisa,
I'm pretty new here too, but I've seen your doggy picture and I'd love to insert one under my name. I love your dachshund, I used to have long haired dachsies, but don't have any now.
How do I do that? Under options I don't see a possibility to insert a picture in my signature! I'll try to attach a pic under this message, but didn't think that I would have to that every time I send a message..... ah well, will keep trying but hope for some tips!
and another question you may be able to help me with - how come I still seem to be a new member. whereas I registered oin the beginning/
Just wondering!!

thanks a lot for your help
cheers
Willeke
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ronwillekedogs b.jpg (48.6 KB, 2 views)
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-02, 15:09
The evolution of me

BF:

I can't send you a private message so i'll put in the instructions here.

First click on the cute picture you just attached and copy the web address that comes up.

Next go to your profile, edit and signature and where you want the picture...

< img src="paste your full web page here and put the but remove the space after <">

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited by lkonzelman : Tue, Nov-19-02 at 15:16.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-02, 18:54
Registered Member

Stats: 282/220/166
BF:36.9%/28.6%/23%
Progress: 53%
Default Willeke

#10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-02, 02:35

Default thanks Lisa and Sherry!

THANKS, Lisa and Sherry! I will attach another picture here, so I cna use that in my signature - don't want to send Ron all over the world <g>!
An dI'll have a look at dr Phill's questions as soon as I can - must dash now, should have started work!
cheers
and again, thanks!!
Willeke
Attached Images
File Type: jpg full couch.jpg (20.4 KB, 6 views)
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-02, 07:59
The evolution of me

BF:

Super sweet picture!!!!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-02, 16:49

Default dr Phil again

Hi Sherry I've been reading mnost posts in that thread and I am impressed! I wish I coiuld takepart, but don't feelcomfortablejumping in at the 4th question! Is it a continuous thing? I mean, do you start again with the first question after you've done the last? SDo that new people can take part?

Thanks again!
Willeke
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-02, 16:55

Default apologies but have to try once again

I made a mistake in my signature with the picture and hope I have remedied it!

thanks for your patience
Willeke