Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 12:44
Registered Member

Plan: Freestyle
Stats: 182/161/145
BF:25%/13.8%/5%
Progress: 57%
Default Is This Right For Me?

Back in February I started going to the gym, I was about 45lbs heavier back then. Most of the weight I lost was during the summer when I went nuts at the gym (30 min cardio each day, plus a 30 min work out).
Since I started college I havent made it to the gym much, but I'd like to get back into it. I started Low Carbing 4.5 weeks ago now, I was 182 when I started, am now 171. Most of that was lost in the first week.
My goal isnt just to lose "weight" but to get in shape. I put on a lot of muscle during the summer, but not enough :P
I want to get bulk, and drop myself down to about 5% (or less) body fat. Should I be switching over to this diet? Or should I stick with low carbing a while longer? I estimate I only have about 25lbs of fat to lose (171x0.16=27.36).
I read the CKD 101, it looks promising. Makes sense too. I guess I just need al ittle more convincing.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-02, 13:20
Registered Member

Ok, since no one seems to be offering any help, I'll just add this to my question:

Is this a good workout? I dont have the book for CKD (broke atm).

MONDAY - Lower Body
Legs Sets Reps Weight
Squats 3 8
SL Deadlift 2 8
Leg Press 2 8
Calf Raise 2 8

TUESDAY - Cardio
Time Distance
Jog 20 min

WEDNESDAY - Upper Body
Chest Sets Reps Weight
Flat Barbell Bench Press 3 8
Low Incline Dumbell Press 2 8
Dumbell Flys 2 8
Triceps
Rope Exensions 2 8
Cable Pushdowns 2 8
Lying Triceps Extensions 2 8
Shoulders
Military Press 2 8
Seated Dumbell Press 2 8
Machine Lateral Raises 2 8
Shrugs 2 8

THURSDAY - Cardio
Time Distance
Jog 20 min

FRIDAY - Upper Body
Back
Deadlifts 2 8
Barbell Rows 2 8
Lat Pulldown 2 8
Complex Rowing 2 8
Bicepts
Concentration Curls 2 8
Cable Curls 2 8
Hammar Curls 2 8
Preacher Curls 3 8

Any suggestions?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-02, 13:42

Plan: bodyopus
Stats: 212/196/185
BF:15%
Progress: 59%
Wink First advise i would give you is dont go crazy with all this

Try to train with weights for 3 days a week and do your cardio on 3 other days.

That might be to much training.

Day one

chest, delts and triceps ( the push workout)

take a day off

Wednesday back biceps

and Friday legs.

That would sound better.

ANd beleive me it would be enought, plus you can build some mass on this too.

Training to much is gonna get you to overtrain and thats the worst thing that can happen to anyone.

Good luck
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-02, 15:52
Registered Member

I just copied that off someone else's post, I think in the CDK 101 thread.
And why do you say its overtraining? Its only 3 exercises per muscle group (in most cases), like just about everything I've read recommends.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-02, 16:57

Plan: No Grain Diet www.mercola
Stats: 181/173/173 Male 72"
BF:18/12/10
Progress: 100%

I would reccomend eating more Shrooms "Mr. Psilocybin

." I heard the benefits coupled with CKD are awesome. ;P

ANyways, realdeal holyfield is right, DONT overtrain this is bad => injury and stalls and tiredness.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-02, 00:10

Plan: None
Stats: 230/230/
BF:6
Progress:
Default Re: Is This Right For Me?

Quote:
Originally posted by Psilocybin
Back in February I started going to the gym, I was about 45lbs heavier back then. Most of the weight I lost was during the summer when I went nuts at the gym (30 min cardio each day, plus a 30 min work out).
Since I started college I havent made it to the gym much, but I'd like to get back into it. I started Low Carbing 4.5 weeks ago now, I was 182 when I started, am now 171. Most of that was lost in the first week.
My goal isnt just to lose "weight" but to get in shape. I put on a lot of muscle during the summer, but not enough :P
I want to get bulk, and drop myself down to about 5% (or less) body fat. Should I be switching over to this diet? Or should I stick with low carbing a while longer? I estimate I only have about 25lbs of fat to lose (171x0.16=27.36).
I read the CKD 101, it looks promising. Makes sense too. I guess I just need al ittle more convincing.

First, I want to bring up the weight-loss experienced in the first week, which is mostly water loss. Now, you seem like long-term goals are you motto. But, are they realistic? 5% and bulk up, assuming you're natural, is HARD to do. I have worked w/ many people that gained muscle on BodyOpus while losing bodyfat; thus, the average amounts of each for a 200lb male would be a 0.5-1 lb. of fat-loss/0.33 muscle gain a week, if done right. Of course, that is a generalization and can differ from person to person.

There is a very promising step in CKD over the last 10 years, when I worked w/ Dan Duchaine we developed a plan to help the bodybuilder achieve amazing feats of physique enhancement. For you, that would be the amazing long term results w/ CKD.

Are you willing to work your ass off and do CKD?

Mr.X

Benchmark you
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-02, 00:38
Registered Member

I'm aware that most of that weight was water, as for every 1 unit of glucose reserves the body holds 3-4g water and blah blah blah... But I've been dropping a pound or two steady each week since. And I've been getting plenty of comments.
Am I committed? Yeah, you bet. For about 5 months I went to the gym every day, and worked my ass off. At the time I didnt eat any special diet, but I managed to pack on a bit of muscle (mostly on my arms and shoulders, as I didnt really train elsewhere) and I dropped about 20lbs.
I still hit the gym a bit just for maintainance, and have been jogging several times a week for a few months now. I know it wont be easy, but I'm determined.
Also, I'm not afraid to use supplements. I've used ephederine in the past, as well as creatine. Though I dont think ECA stacks are legal in Canada.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-02, 00:56

Plan: None
Stats: 230/230/
BF:6
Progress:

Quote:
Originally posted by Psilocybin
I'm aware that most of that weight was water, as for every 1 unit of glucose reserves the body holds 3-4g water and blah blah blah... But I've been dropping a pound or two steady each week since. And I've been getting plenty of comments.
Am I committed? Yeah, you bet. For about 5 months I went to the gym every day, and worked my ass off. At the time I didnt eat any special diet, but I managed to pack on a bit of muscle (mostly on my arms and shoulders, as I didnt really train elsewhere) and I dropped about 20lbs.
I still hit the gym a bit just for maintainance, and have been jogging several times a week for a few months now. I know it wont be easy, but I'm determined.
Also, I'm not afraid to use supplements. I've used ephederine in the past, as well as creatine. Though I dont think ECA stacks are legal in Canada.
'

I write Diet Manuals for a lot of boards...this will help you on your way to success.

http://www.mesomorph.net/bros/diet.php

Look for the CKD manual

Mr.X
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-02, 03:43
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 130/130/110
BF:
Progress: 0%

Mr.X,
hi! ive read your tkd article in mesomorph.net and i was thinkin which would help me get more lean ---(i do weights 3-4 times a week whole body at times) cardio on other days....
i was plannin to do atkins on the first 2 weeks then do tkd..or should it be that i do tkd at the start already??? ryt now im rly not yet lowcarbin coz i dunno which and where to start..kindly enlighten me i rly want to lose this fat already..i can feel my muscles esp. my ab muscles but still the fat hinders it from gettin all defined and im gettin ready for like a "great bodies"(not body building just a competition for slim muslced girls) for about 3-4 months or so....so i rly need your advice....i think im overtraining myself but ive gotten used to exercisin for 2-3 hrs almost everyday i only change the routine to alternate cardio and weights at times circuit training...
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-02, 06:26

Plan: CKD Sept '02
Stats: 280/240/200
BF:
Progress: 50%

Here are two articles with sample workouts by Lyle McDonald

http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles...ogenic-diet.htm

And

http://low-carb.org/lylemcd/faq.htm

personally i do the workout from the faq article and i like it.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-02, 15:36
Registered Member

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/205/195
BF:12
Progress: 67%
Default Re: Re: Is This Right For Me?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.X
First, I want to bring up the weight-loss experienced in the first week, which is mostly water loss. Now, you seem like long-term goals are you motto. But, are they realistic? 5% and bulk up, assuming you're natural, is HARD to do. I have worked w/ many people that gained muscle on BodyOpus while losing bodyfat; thus, the average amounts of each for a 200lb male would be a 0.5-1 lb. of fat-loss/0.33 muscle gain a week, if done right. Of course, that is a generalization and can differ from person to person.

There is a very promising step in CKD over the last 10 years, when I worked w/ Dan Duchaine we developed a plan to help the bodybuilder achieve amazing feats of physique enhancement. For you, that would be the amazing long term results w/ CKD.

Are you willing to work your ass off and do CKD?

Mr.X

the only thing I can say is listen to the X this dude knows his shit when It comes to CKD TKD (diet in general) he can answer all your questions know need to look anywhere else you can hit him up over at www.elitefitness.com in the diet board or at www.mesomorph.net loads of info for ya

Benchmark you