Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 12:07

Plan: Mod Atkins
Stats: 170/162/110 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 13%
Exclamation Could this be form the Atkins diet?

I don't mean to gross any one out, I'd just like to know. I am fallowing the Atkins diet & I sometimes will throw up. I'll wake up in the middle of the night w/ bloated belly so I went to the bath room , it just kept running, then I felt the urge to vomit. It wouldn't stop , I was thinking it's because I have no gallbladder & I eat too much fat it wasn't any more then normal. Has anyone here had this problem.

Josie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 12:24

BF:
Exclamation I got sick to my stomach last night

This is gross.
I was wondering if this could befrom the Atkins diet? I woke up in the middle of the night w/ a bloated belly so I went to the rest room , at first it comes out normal,then it 's liquid runs. it wouldn't stop I started feeling nausated, so I flushed. & turn around because I could feel it coming , then I couldn't stop vomiting. I was extremly weak so I went to go lay back down & it came out again I guess until there was nothing left inside.
Here's what I eat that day:
3 sausage links , a little bit of cottage cheese
handful of nuts
Double Bacon cheese burger w/o bread
Chicken salad w/ olives & ranch dressing
handful of nuts
I'd like to know if I should switch my diet to another locarb plan & which one. I have a sugar addiction BTW.

Josie
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 12:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210.0/198.0/165 Female 5'5"
BF: entirely too much
Progress: 27%

Looking at your menu, I'd say you need to eat lots & lots more veggies, more protein & some more fat & calories in general. Your profile states that you are 5'10", with a goal weight of 115? Don't want to preach, but that is WAY too low. You should consider the reasons you are following LC. If it's for the health benefits, that's great. If it's for weight loss, not a good ideasince you are already significantly underweight.

All the best,
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 12:32
The evolution of me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Nuts have that effect on my hubby...
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 12:33

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Could it perhaps be because something you ate yesterday was spoiled?

How long have you been on Atkin's?

Have you always had a pretty high fat diet? It could be you haven't gotten use to the high fat in the diet yet. It does take a while for the body to adjust to new eating patterns.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 13:27
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

It sounds an awful lot like food poisoning. Depending on the type, it can take up to 72 hours to make itself apparent, so it could have been something you ate a few days before hand.

In any case, drink lots of water. You will be dehydratred.

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 13:35

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Josie, I split your post from the Zone thread in the Zone forum and moved it to General Health.

Is it possible that you're ill? It almost Sound like a virus to me. I am by no means qualified to offer medical advice on the status of your gallblader, but I am sure someone will come along to help; we have several registered nurses on the forum.

I hope you're feeling better soon.
Nat
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 14:03

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Nat/Josie,

I merged the post from the zone to this one so we wouldn't have two threads discussing the same problem.

Janet
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 20:42

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Josie!

I agree with everyone else. It sounds more like food poisoning or a gastrointestinal virus than your diet. Try to drink plenty of fluids to rehydrate yourself if you can keep them down.
Another option would be to keep a food journal and see if you can pinpoint a specific trigger food if this keeps happening. Hope you're feeling better soon!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-02, 10:42

BF:
Smile Update

I wasn't sick at all during the day. I woke up around 4 a.m. and this went on in till after 6am when I went back to bed. The next day I felt tired & my stomache ached which I beleive was from the muscle. I was a little scared to eat thought, I didn't have much of an apetite anyways.
If meat was spoiled , I thought it would have a smell to it. So I'm not to sure if it could have been food poisoning.
I been on Atkins since late August , so it's been 3 months. Before I was on a low fat diet , or just watched what I eat. I just resently started eating hamburgers again, before I hadn't had a burger in years. My dr. put me on a low fat because I have acid reflux disease & I use to have gall stones & had to have my gall bladder removed.
Melissa , I am far from 5'10 I'm only 5'0. The tallest male in my biological family isn't even that tall. In my early 20's when I weighed 115 I was a little on the chunky side.

Thanks you all for your input,
Josie
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-02, 10:45

BF:
Smile BTW

Yes I feel better.
I just wanted to add that.

Josie
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-02, 13:54

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 20/08/00 Female 5'10"
BF:not/low/enough
Progress: 60%
Smile

Josie... I have to agree with everyone about the illness. Food poisoning is so often not suspected because you don't think you ate anything bad and can't pinpoint back to anything. It also could be a bug, an ulcer, all kinds of things.

I have no gallbladder either and to date have had no problems with eating low-carb. In truth, french fries hurt me more than anything.

But looking at your menu, I'd agree with Melissa and recommend more veggies.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-02, 09:01

BF:
Question How many sevings of vegetables a day do I need

I eat a large garden salad before my dinner, that's probably 2 or 3 servings , I also snack on 2 celeries a day on most days plus what ever is in my meal like green beans or broccoli I sometimes eat veggie soup also.
I do think it was either food poison or the flu , what ever it was I got over it pretty fast I just hope it don't come back. But I've always had a sensitive stomach, I have acid reflux diease, that I'm suppose to be treating w/ medicine but I hate going to see the dr, unless it's an emegency or for my check ups that I have to get every 2 years. I live out in the country.
BTW I reached my goal weight right now I just want to maintain my current weight.

Josie
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 21:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

If your chicken salad was a commercial purchase - like fast food or a store deli - then, it is the most likely suspect. Lettuce is often cut with the same knives used for raw meat, and dressings often go bad from age. If it was your own "cooking," the most likely suspect is meat that was tainted before you cooked that didn't reach a high enough temperature.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Nov-26-02, 10:55

BF:
Default Oh that's gross

I can't beleive that they would do that at a fast food places, I 'm scared to order chicken salad now. They can't be that stupid.

Josie