Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 15:34
Registered Member

Plan: my own (a mix)
Stats: 180/177.5/150
BF:
Progress: 8%
Question Low-carb Bars

Are they good or bad???

I really enjoy the Atkins bars, but I heard that they (low carb bars in general) can cause cravings. Any thoughts/opinions on this are welcome.

Also, what is Splenda?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 15:39
The evolution of me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I never tried the Atkins bars. But I do love the Ross dark chocolate bars and carbolites peanut butter cups are great frozen.

Now that being said - they are known to stall some peoples weightloss and because of that I only eat occasionally when I feel like cheating, I choose a legal treat.

Spenda is an artificial sweetener like Equal or sweet n low.

Advice: Try the bars if you really want and if you stop losing - lose the bars first. And yes - they may cause cravings.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-02, 21:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Another thing to watch out for... there are PROTEIN BARS and there are CANDY or CHOCOLATE BARS... and they aren't the same at all.

The most risky are the Candy or Chocolate Bars, and they should be reserved for the occasional treat (candy is candy is candy after all) once you have gotten well into low carb, gotten some experience and knowledge. Lots here, do have fun reading a lot of these posts where just about any question you can think of to ask has probably already been discussed

The Protein Bars, like the Atkins' Bars, have much more nutrition, but also should be limited to at most 1 a day when starting out (per Dr. Atkins) but if you get cravings (can't eat just part of one? making no progress on your low carb 'diet'? really really really want some starchy or sugary stuff?) lose them until you lose the cravings and get moving on your plan...

Hope this helps.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 15:08

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 142/126/125
BF:26
Progress: 94%
Default tried and true

I have been doing Atkins forever and I never gain weight but I did figure out that you cannot lose weight while eating the bars more than once in a while. I think that the bars carb count keep you above your critical carb limit but only a bit and once you are done losing or ready to maintain for a while you can eat them as much as you want or can afford. I found out when I was stuck at 130 for months and months. I ate a lot of bars. Then one day I ran out and couldn't replace them for several days. I don't remember why. I dropped to 127. It was too much of a coincidence to ignore. Now, I firmly believe that you can maintain with the bars and lose without them. But what a great thing to know that you can have sweets again. I believe that once you lose weight on Atkins, you can eat as much Atkins as you want with virtually no risk of gaining it back. It seems impossible to gain without that insulin in the blood wooshing that fat into my thighs. Pass it on.