Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-02, 17:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/210/180 Male 5FT 9IN
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Help please

OK... I was 229 lbs, 5ft, 9in and have been on the Atkins for 2 weeks now. I just finished the induction phase today but I have only lost 6 lbs in two weeks. I NEED/HAVE to to figure what is going on. I want more then anything to get to 185 and I have busted my tush keeping the wrong foods out of my mouth.

Anyone have any advice.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-02, 18:06

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

I am curious.

Why do you think something is going on? As in wrong?

Atkin's is not a fast weight loss plan, regardless of what the infomericals would have you believe. You can expect to lose about 10 percent within the first two weeks. So if you need to lose 40 pounds you can expect 4 of those to come off within the first two weeks.

Are you eating enough calories?
Are you drinking enough water?

Without knowing what you are putting into your mouth it's a bit hard to figure out how to help.

How about listing out what your daily menu looks like and try to relax a bit Stress will cause your weight loss to stall out.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-02, 18:25

BF:

Thank you so much.I did not realize that 10% should come off the first 2 weeks. I guess your right. I have been eating lotsa sausage, pork chops, egge and bookoo water. No probs there. I guess I will have to keep pumping away and see how it goes. Can I stay on the induction menu longer if I am comfortable with it, 20 grams or less. Thanks, Steve
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-02, 20:06

Stats: 180/135/135 Female 64 inches
BF:30
Progress: 100%

You may stay on induction as long as you would like... however... just remember that eventually you need to move to maintenance... and often folks find that their body won't allow more carbs later... if they kept at very low levels for a long time. I stayed at the induction level for 2 months. I then moved to OWL and have added another 5 carbs... however... I have not added any more and have stayed at this level for about a month and a half. I plan to add another 5 carbs in January and hold it there for a while ... then depending on where I am in relation to my goal weight... I will get serious about finding my CCLL.

How long people stay in induction is usually a function of two things... 1) how much weight they have to lose (slowing down if you have a long way to go may not help with motivation) and 2) how comfortable they are with the food choices in induction (lots more options when you add nuts and berries etc.)

Wishing you success.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-02, 21:17

Hey Steve,

Are you eating any veggies at all? You didn't mention them in your above reply.

Just for the record, Atkin's isn't an all meat, cheese and egg diet. That would get rather hard to support. We do eat alot of veggies as well. If you are unsure about what you can have the following link should help you out.

http://www.titanic.kn-bremen.de/induction.html

Just for the record, those that lose the 15 to 25 pounds the first two weeks normally have a lot to lose in the first place. Normally most of that is water loss.

Hang in there It will come off, just not over night. (Don't we wish it did though)

Oh yeah about the veggies....the fiber from them help keeps you regular. If you don't eat enough you could end up a tad constipated
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-02, 22:16

BF:

You people are wonderful. Where have you been for the past 32 fat yrs of my life. I have not eaten any veggies or fruit. I miss it too because I love them both dearly. I work in Philly and there are fruit stands up where I use to buy a mix fruit salad every morning before work.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-02, 22:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210.0/198.0/165 Female 5'5"
BF: entirely too much
Progress: 27%

Hi Steve

You want to watch going all out on the fruit. There are only a few that work really well with Atkins,...mainly melon & berries. You can check out their carb content & decide which ones you want to have. You also want to avoid high GI (glycemic incex) fruits, as they tend to ilicit an insulin response.

Good luck & happy low carbing!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-02, 06:12

Stats: 203/138/130 Female 5'4 1/2
BF:
Progress: 89%

Hi Steve,

Welcome,
Everyone here is giving you great advice, I hope you took or will take the time to read the book, it helps and you will not be sorry, only happy happy happy..

anyways happy weightloss trails

hope to see you journal your food and will check up on ya..

warmest wishes
Vivian
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-02, 06:47

BF:

Good Morning everyone...

It's a brisk thursday morning here in S.Jersey and another Atkins day. Well this is my third week on Atkins and I am getting a little discouraged AGAIN. I lost about 5 or 6 pounds during my induction and now seem to come to a halt. As I stated before... a 40lb loss is my goal. I am drinking plenty of water. I even went to NYC over the weekend and and a few drinks, all rum and diet coke.

My diet has consisted of breakfast, usually three scrambled eggs, w/ham or bacon. OK I have a small dunkin donuts coffee with very little cream and a sweet an low. Lunch is usually a few sausage or chicken legs w/out the skin. Dinner last nite was 2 grilled burgers with bacon and cheese. No bun. A little ketchup and staying under the carb limit. The only beverages I drink are water and diet pepsi. No carbs. This has been my diet pretty strictly over the past few weeks... Any suggestions, I dont want to drop off the wagon. Help................
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-02, 08:02

Steve,

Where are your veggies? It looks like all you are eating is meat and eggs. That is not Atkin's.

Atkin's is 3 cups of salad a day OR 2 cups of salad and 2/3 cup of cooked veggies. I gave you a link earlier of what is allowed.

Not a single one of us loses weight every single day or week for that matter. Our bodies will take breaks whether we like it or not. The only thing to do is wait it out.

Try adding more carbs into your diet. Zero carbs will not make you lose faster....if your body adapts to zero carbs how are you going to lose weight then?
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-02, 08:09

Plan: General Low-Carb
Stats: 224/210/180 Female 5'6" (67.2")
BF:36.2%/33.9%/29.0%
Progress: 32%
Smile

Hi Steve,

Just wanted to mention that i'm facing the same situation that you're facing. I just completed 2 weeks of induction and lost 6lbs. I have completely gone by the rules in regards to dos and don'ts. I would be taking the advice above to continue induction for a little while. Please don't get discouraged.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-02, 13:33

Stats: 167.5/122/115 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

I think that the Atkins book is a little misleading in that he sometimes makes it sound too easy. Even though there is more cautious information in the book, like that chart of how many pounds one might expect to lose based on degree of metabolic resistance, which if I recall correctly says that some women might lose only 2 pounds in the first two weeks. And descriptions of people who lost very slowly but still stuck with it and eventually reached their goal.

Still there is this tone, as though if you follow this plan, pounds will fly off you faster than you can imagine. You know, the stuff like "now you've just finished your first two weeks, you are noticing how much better your clothes fit, you are amazed by the number on the scale, all your friends are telling you how fabulous you look."

I lost 7 pounds in the first two weeks and at first I was a little disappointed, because my clothes weren't hanging off me yet and I couldn't see any difference in the mirror (my friends didn't notice either). Then I looked at that chart again and realized that I had actually done really well, despite my unrealistic expectations.

Do you all agree or did I read the book through my own rose-colored glasses?

(There's also the whole issue of not thinking about fast weight loss as "good" vs slow weight loss as "bad", and I'm really trying to change my point of view and recognize that it's all good, but that's a whole different topic
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-02, 14:46
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

I only lost 4 pounds during the first two weeks. That actually made me really happy because before that I lost 4-5 pounds in 4 MONTHS doing it the low fat way. Post induction I tend to lose either a little weight OR inches but not both in the same week. I have been keeping a record of my waist size and my weight on a weekly basis. The last couple of weeks I have been at the same weight, but I lost another 1/3 to 1/2 inch in my waist. Today I looked at the scale and it looks like I will be able to drop another couple of pounds, but my waist is exactly the same. So I guess my point is that weight is not my only goal-shrinking is a big huge lift to me. Try tracking a measurement (s) as well as your weight. I also track my BMI and my estimated body fat %. As long as I see some number going in the downward direction I am motivated.

My fat pants are now loose and I can get my skinny pants up, but they are not wearable. Before, the skinny pants wouldn't even go over my butt.

Just keep going. I have a terribly slow metabolism due to being hypothyroid and apparently insulin resistant. I do get impatient, but I know that the weight is going in the right direction!

Paleoanth
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-02, 14:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins variation
Stats: 225/222/190 Male 6 feet 1 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

There is a couple other things people didn't mention here. I had stalled after I came off induction, actually I'm stalled right now... In weight loss, but not in fat reduction. Check out your inches!! Get out a tight pair of pants or a shirt a size too small and try putting it on now and then. My third week on this diet/WOL, I was so happy to realize that even though I wasn't loosing a lot of weight, I was loosing inches! And...
I was feeling great. How do you feel? How are your energy levels? This diet/WOL does make you feel better, especially if you are one of those unlucky folk like me that had sugar problems. Even if I never lost another pound on this diet, I would not go off of it, because I know how it feels to 'get the shakes' and have heart burn all the time.
It's a long road, and you've just started driving. Stick with it, you will not be dissapointed! Oh, and like Agony said, eat those veggies:P
-Chad
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-02, 14:57
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Just to show you what I and Cwolly mean-I am attaching a small .jpeg file that shows how my weight and waist change alternately.

Paleoanth
Attached Images
File Type: jpg weight waste date.jpg (14.4 KB, 47 views)