Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 07:12

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/210/150
BF:?
Progress: 0%
Default I'm NOT a LOSER!

I know all I've done is complain because I am not losing, but this morning I have gained 1 pound. I am feeling sorry for myself and asking "why me?"
I know I am following the rules. I thought it was because my metabolism was so screwed up. that it was taking my body a while to figure it out. Yesterday I had 2 eggs, sausage, salad w/ chicken breast. ranch. dinner- 2 eggs and ham....devils ham w/ mayo and pork rinds.
Has anyone heard that this diet just doesn't work for some? Am I taking in too many calories?I am drinking a ton of water. I'm so confused that I'm wondering if all this stress is worth it. I am so depressed! Dana
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 08:19
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Dana... I would really like to suggest that you do two things:

1) Start a journal on this forum and record your daily menus
2) Input your menus at www.fitday.com and post your daily totals in your journal.

This is really the only way that we can truly analyze what might possibly be the problem. We look at carb counts, veggie intake, fat and protein ratios, water, and other possible "stallers". For instance, I remember a member that once stated she did not understand what she could possibly be doing wrong....she started her journal and I found that over the span of 3 weeks she had only had 2 servings of vegetables!! In her mind she was following the plan to the T.

And yes, having only 1 little-bitty serving of aspartame (diet colas, SF jello, etc.) CAN cause you to stall if you happen to be sensitive to it.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 08:31

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Dana. Take a deep breath. Low carb dieting shouldn't be stressing you out. You are stressing yourself out because you are fixated on the scale. Throw the darned thing out!

A quote from Nat taken out of the exercise forum:

Cortisol is released under conditions of stress; be it emotional or phsyiological (such as losing your job, or a loved one, getting caught in traffic or after a very long and intense workout). Short bursts of cortisol are not a problem, as long as the body returns to normal afterward. Excessive amounts of cortisol also suppress the immune system and have been linked to CVD and diabetes. Insulin, on the other hand, neutralizes cortisol; the prime reason that bodybuiders use insulin in a controlled manner after a workout to get the body back into an anabolic state.

So because you are controlling your insulin levels through diet but stressing yourself out, your body isn't exactly comfortable with burning fat instead it wants to store it.

Think of this as just a way of eating. You are not on a diet. You do not need to be fixated on the scale anymore. Just eat healthy every single day and allow your body to relax.

I think it comes down to "trying" to hard to lose weight one loses sight of the other things in life.

Take care.
Janet
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 09:36
The evolution of me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Hi Steve-

Just wanted to say i'm a philly girl too and YOU CAN HAVE A CHEESESTEAK even just don't eat the roll!

As I type this i'm salivating and know I need to take a drive soon!

And everyone's advice is pretty on the mark! Just keep eating your veggies and lc and it will all fall off you a little at a time...
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 12:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/210/150
BF:?
Progress: 0%

Terri'
Thanks, I really like that site. Can you tell me what percentages of each( fats, protein, carbs. and calories) am I striving for? Dana
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 13:03
Starting Over!

Dana -

Fats - 65-70%
Protein - 25-30%
Carbs - 5-8%
Calories - well, this is highly debated....but for your weight, if it were me, I'd try to stick between 1650-1900/day.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 15:28
Registered Member

Stats: 140/130/115
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default St. John§s Wort

i§ll go out and buy some right away.

thanks
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 16:33

Plan: own version of LC
Stats: 180/163/145 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 49%
Thumbs up

Hey All...
This is all great information. I got really discouraged today because Tuesday I was down 12 lbs and today I was only down 8 lbs. Monday will be a month I have been on the Atkins plan.

I have had ham and eggs the past two mornings which could explain water retention and have tried several recipes for low carb sweets which only one was really good. I have to increase my water intake and incorporate excersize (yuck)...think I'll do some dancing around the house...that's not as boring!

I do like what I am eating and have gotten used to low carbs and am on a mission to lose this weight. I have had it on for 2 years now and am ready to do something about it. I do wish it came off faster but I didn't put this weight on overnight.

It's really encouraging to read these posts about lbs lost during induction because I thought I was doing something wrong but after reading atkins book again....I am actually pretty much on target.

Question?......how long is one in ketosis? Is it during the first two weeks only? I am not in ketosis today..first time since I started.

Thanks!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-02, 11:53
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Nems, I don't think I've ever been in ketosis...well, maybe I had to be but I never noticed it on the stix and finally threw them out! That's something I don't even worry about. It's like the scale...if you see a lower number, you think you did good. If you see a higher number, you think you did bad.

When I decided to back off the daily counting, obsessing, weighing and just eat my meals and snacks from LC selections, I felt better and started to see some results. I really believe the key to this WOE is to not see it as a daily challenge, but as an easy and stress-free lifestyle. Even on days when we blow it, there's always the next day to make adjustments and continue on.

#10   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-02, 23:30

BF:

Hi Donna!
I find myself obsessing about this diet and what I am eating and feel quilty about wanting a treat at times. I need to remember this is me eating healthy and not a race to lose weight as fast as I can. I never thought I would get use to eating low carbs but I have and it's not bad at all. My eating habits have definately changed! I really like your attitude and way of thinking about low carbing and thanks for sharing it with me! It truly helped!

Nancy
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Nov-24-02, 06:21
Starting Over!

Hey DONNA !! What's with the new stats??!? 185?? I need to go find the scoop on this news somewhere!

Nancy - I think it's really very normal to obsess about your new way of eating for the first few months.... after all, this is really different AND exciting. To be able to eat steak and butter and blue cheese dressing and STILL lose weight??? It's a complete reversal in thinking and requires a lot of our attention.... not to mention that we get pretty darned excited about losing weight so easily!!

After a while, even when the weight loss slows down as it will from time to time, you realize that mostly you're in this for the way it makes you FEEL better and that the weight loss is just an added benefit....and it truly just becomes the way you eat. At that point you start to let go of the obsessions a little bit.

You're doing just fine.......... keep it up and keep posting!!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Nov-24-02, 10:23

BF:

Hi Teri

Thanks for the support and positive advice...I really need this from time to time which is why I read these forums. They keep me motivated to "keep on keeping on"

Hey, I noticed your from Texas too! Austin here, but will always be an OKIE at heart

Take care!

Nancy