Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-02, 15:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Zone
Stats: 230/230/165
BF:50%
Progress: 0%
Question Infertility Issues!

Hi. I am 21 years old and I have been trying for nearly 4 years to get pregnant. I have never used any birth control or anything to not stop me from having a baby. I had tried everything charts, I mean just about everything. I had a medical card and I went to a OBGYN to find out why I wasn't pregnant. Well he made me do one of the charts I had already done for another 6 months. He told me to follow it and I would be pregnant before Christmas,( last year). Well I tried to get him to go ahead and check me out and my husband because I told him I already did the charts. Well he wouldn't do it and I don't have a medical card now. I can't afford going back and forth to them now. My husband is the only one working and he only makes $400. a month. I weigh over 300 lbs and I truly believe that is why I am not pregnant. Will anyone else having problems please email me for support. I am starting LC tomorrow with my husband. He weighs nearly 400 lbs. I hope we loose the weight and have a new little one soon. Please email me on some info or some herbal things I can try also. mandyjo41240 at yahoo dot com or if you can see it mandyjo41240~yahoo.com Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-02, 15:29

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Mandy,

I have removed your duplicate post and moved this thread to the General Health forum.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-02, 16:11

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Mandy!

Believe me, I understand how frustrating it can be when you so much want to have a baby but your body will not cooperate. My husband and I tried for over 8 years and tried everything short of in-vitro fertilization and were told that it just wasn't going to happen. At that point, I weighed almost 250 lbs and was diagnosed with PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome). I also found out during all that testing that I am diabetic.
After being diagnosed with diabetes, I threw myself into controlling that and losing weight. Over a 1 year period, I was able to lose 70 lbs and that's the point where I got pregnant much to the amazement of all the doctors who had told me that it just wasn't possible for me. Unfortunately, we lost that baby when I was 17 weeks into the pregnancy.
I'd really encourage you to try and lose a good amount of weight before trying to get pregnant. When you are that overweight, pregnancy puts a huge strain on your whole body, but especially your heart and puts you at high risk for some potentially life-threatening problems (for both you and the baby) such as toxemia, not to mention gestational diabetes. If you do get pregnant before losing a good amount of weight, you should also expect a lot more visits to the OB/GYN as they will consider it a high risk preganancy and will have to follow you very closely to make sure that both you and the baby are doing okay (this will probably also mean more tests than normal).
Sweetie, you're still very young and have many years yet to start a family. Focus on getting yourself to a point where you can have a healthy pregnancy first and then worry about getting yourself pregnant. I was 33 when I had my first daughter and 34 when I had my last, so there is lots of hope that you can accomplish what you desire, too. Have you ever been tested for PCOS? Some of the symptoms are weight gain and irregular (or no) periods along with the inability to conceive. Low carbing is actually recommended for women who have PCOS, so if that's the problem, you are already taking steps in the right direction.
I wish you all the best, but please consider my suggestions and let us know how you're doing.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-15-02, 22:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 283/249/199
BF:
Progress: 40%

Mandy,

I am in total agreement with the previous post. I also have pcos and had trouble conceiving. Having a child is wonderful but also difficult. Work on getting yourself healthy. You want to have good eating habits established so your child does not have the same problems with weight that we all seem to have. Research PCOS to see if that is soething you may have. I took 2 years to get pregnant with it and have a wonderful 2 & 1/2 year old. Good luck to you and your husband.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-17-02, 10:57

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

Mandy

It really sounds to me like you have PCOS. One of the big problems with it is that it is chronically underdiagnosed. Visit http://www.soulcysters.com to read all about it or type PCOS into any search engine.

PM me if you have any questions.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 21:30

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 100/88/80
BF:
Progress: 62%
Default Re: Infertility Issues!

Quote:
Originally posted by mandyjo412
Hi. I am 21 years old and I have been trying for nearly 4 years to get pregnant.

I can't afford going back and forth to them now.

My husband is the only one working and he only makes $400 a month.

Shesh!

I feel for you Mandy. But reading your post a few things jumped out at me. I’m not one to tell you how to live your life, and am only 20 myself, with little to no worldly experience. BUT! I couldn’t read this post and not reply without feeling guilty.

If your struggling so much with finances right now, how is another life to support going to help that? I know you have your heart set on having a baby but would this REALLY be the RIGHT time?

You have been trying since you were 17? Shesh! i still needed my mothers love (still do) and undivided attention (well not quite) when i was 17! I really feel like this is not the right time in your life to be bringing another life into this world that needs and deserves an adequate and loving household!

Forgive me if I’m wrong. And feel free to tell me to sod off! But this is simply my opinion.

Good luck and hope the Low Carb Way of Life treats you and your husband well.

Regards.

-jake