Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 21:20

Plan: Atkins since sept 22/02
Stats: 205/165/150 Female 5'8
BF:32/28/22
Progress: 73%
Talking less hot flashes

Hi everybody. Wasn't sure where to post this.

For the last 3 weeks or so I have had exactly 1 hot flash. Usually I have several nasty ones every day. So, I was wondering, since I have heard that estrogen is stored in the fat, maybe by losing fat, I could be getting extra estrogen released into my system?

Does that sound plausible?

All the best, Nancy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 21:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Yes, it does sound plausible. I remember the same thing. In fact, if I went back to eating carbs, I got more of them. There are some supplements at health food stores that also help. One of them is called "Meno" and is very good. Most of the same type contain red clover, black cohosh, dong quai, chasteberry and other stuff that helps. Really helps with mood swings too.

#3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 21:38

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

I don't know the cause....of even if it's all in my head....but about 2 weeks after starting low-carb my doc cut my hormone to 1/4 the dose I'd been taking (surgical menopause).

Initially (almost 2 yrs ago) the dose I'd been taking wasn't enough, so it was doubled....then about 1 1/2 months ago the doc asked if I'd be willing to try cutting the dose because of family history of blood clots. Well we cut the dose and I've been having no symptoms at all!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 18:05

Question hrt dose

Hi Cindy and Tofi, what dose of Hrt are you on? I take .3 every 24 hours, always at night. For some reason, I get a headache if I take it in the morning but night is fine.

Used to take .6, which Dr. said is normal dose. Been on .3 for 2 years, still have lots of hot flashes (until I started Atkins) but they were bearable, and lots less headaches.

Bye for now, nancy
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 09:47

I"m on .3 also...I had been taking 1.25!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 21:35

Talking wow

Holy smokes, CindySue, 1.25!!! When I told my Doctor that I was cutting my .6 in half, he said no way, .6 was minium dose and .3 wouldn't do any good. Boy, what does he know. He later gave me prescription for .3 and admitted maybe it's enough.

Well, I ask you, if .3 isn't enough, how come they make that size dose??

I may go lower soon. Right now, if I skip a day, (very rarely and only by mistake) I get raging hot flashes and rip my bosses face off if he says anything I don't like. So guess to keep my job, I better stay on .3 for now.

Thanks for info, nancy
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-02, 10:19

When I started HRt I started on .6...when the symptoms didnt' get any better the doc increased the dose...doubled it. And it worked like a charm! (duh!)

After reading about the HRT research....which by the way is the combination, which should only be prescribed for women with a uterus, which I dont' have....I decided to take it once every other day. No symptoms came back. Now...when I started on the higher dose my weight was around 250....when I cut it back on my own, before starting LC, my weight was around 225....not much of a difference, but still.

I started seeing a new doc...the MD that took the place of my surgeon, who had moved to another state. My PCP had already freaked about hte dose and the new doc agreed it was very high and I should try a lower dose. The new prescription she gave me is really just half of what I had been taking (since I'd cut the does myself) and said to try this and double it if I needed it. By this time I'd been on LC for several weeks. I don't know if it's the LC or what, but the smaller dose is working just fine!

My biggest worry is osteoporosis....my mom had a very severe case....the docs were all amazed she didn't ahve any stress fractures her bones were so thin! She also had a hysterectomy at a fairly young age and never took any replacement thereapy...either calcium or HRT. I've alrady shrunk 3/4+ inch....and I'm not even 50 yet!

I plan to stay on the HRT as long as my doc feels it's safe, and I am doing resistance training to hopefully keep osteo out of my life!