Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 13:49
Contributing Member

Plan: lowcarb .
Stats: 160/141/127 Female 5'6"
BF:it"s for SALE!
Progress: 58%
Unhappy Problems Breathing.....

I noticed last Friday..I was looking out the window when I all of a sudden couldn't breath properly. I excused it as "shoot, now I'm getting a chest cold". Sure enough I did get a chest cold (started that night and was feeling better by tuesday). Since then it has happened about 4 more times...yesterday I was driving home from the public health office when all of a sudden it was hard to catch my breath again. I made a Dr.'s appointment but can't get in until Tuesday morning.
Anyrooo..I finally got on the exercise bike today(yeah me!) and I had to stop. I noticed a difference in my breathing about 5 minutes into it. I biked a total of 10 minutes (thinking it would pass)...I had to get off. I ran a hot bath thinking the humid air would help. It's been about an hour now and my breathing is still not quite normal.

I know nothing about the lungs...I've never had a problem before. It doesn't hurt, there is no rasping. It feels like socks are stuffed in my chest...feels heavy too.

Any ideas?

cin
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 15:24
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Cin,

Sounds like a touch of asthma. If that is what it is, it may just be a part of the "chest cold."

If it keeps happening, don't hesitate to go to the Emergency Room. They'll be able to give you some treatment that will make you feel better fast.

When you made your doctor's appointment, did you tell the receptionist you are having breathing trouble? I'm just wondering if you tell them that, they may be able to squeeze you in a little earlier.

And don't worry too much. Asthma (if that is what it is) is very easily treated these days.

All the best matey, hope you're feeling better soon.

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 15:41
Contributing Member

Thanks so much Rosebud.
No, I didn't tell them I was having problems with breathing. I was told he was out of the office today and monday is a holiday.

My breathing still isn't back to normal. Seems that each time this happens it is for a longer period of time. If this gets any worse I may have to go the emergency room...oh lord.

Thanx again Rosebud.

cin
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 16:04

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Cinderella...

breathing problems are not something to mess with. If it doesn't get better in the next hour or two, get thee to the ER. Please don't wait until Tuesday. If you start experiencing any numbness, sweating or chest, neck, shoulder or arm pain, please go to the ER ASAP or call 911.
I'm hoping that it's not something serious, but please don't take chances.

Lisa
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 17:17
Contributing Member

Thankyou Lisa.
I am starting to feel better. I can't believe it lasted for so many hours. I will definetly keep check of "myself" and seek medical attention if anything goes wrong . I just don't understand why all this is happening.

Anyroo...thanx for all the support.

cin
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 18:00

Plan: Atkins since sept 22/02
Stats: 205/165/150 Female 5'8
BF:32/28/22
Progress: 73%
Angry breathing

Dear Cin, 2 years ago I was taking a new med for only 2 weeks and couldn't breath, my throat closed, my co-workers rushed my off to sunnybrook, Never dawned on me I was violently allergic to the new med (vioxx). I have never been allergic to anything before in my life.

Are you on a new med or even a new vitamin? It can take 2 weeks or more to show up as an allergic reaction and shortness of breath is #1 signal.

I would take an anti-histamine that you are familiar with. If not feeling better in an hour, go to Doctor. ASAP

Hope you feel better, nancy
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 18:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

And you could also have something called "walking around pneumonia". Apparently, people don't feel all that bad - just a cold - but can't get a big or complete breath.

I had a student come in for a singing lesson once with that feeling. I made him stop and go directly to a walk-in clinic and they found he had pneumonia. It is easily treatable and can be heard by a doc with a stethascope. But do go and get checked out. There must be 'urgent care' clinics or even the ER if your own GP can't see you. Tuesday is rather far away to find out if you have this.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 18:47

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

What Nancy said about allergy...it does not necisarrily have to be a new medication....or food. You can develop an allergy to anything at any time!

I've taken Bactrim probably a dozen times without problems....until the last time....after taking it for 4 days I developed hives!

It does sound more like an asthma type reaction....which can be caused by the exercise or an allergic reaction.

If this happens again you should get yourself to the ER or MD as soon as possible! Like you said, it's getting worse each time. It could get to the point where you weren't able to call for help! don't fool around with this!

And please....when calling your MD...always be specific if you're having any trouble breathing or any kind of chest pain or pressure! If the MD cannot see you, maybe a NP or PA can....or maybe you need to be sent to urgent care or ER.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 20:40

Plan: Atkins since sept 22/02
Stats: 205/165/150 Female 5'8
BF:32/28/22
Progress: 73%
Exclamation oh yeah

Walking pneumonia!! Yes, my daughter had that several years ago. She's a lifeguard. She had really bad time breathing but no cough or fever. I forgot all about that, tofi could be right there.

Nancy
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 10:23
Contributing Member

Thanks for all the info.
About 2-3 hours after I was feeling "better" last night I developed a cough. I took Benylin as that is all we had in the house (full of sugar too ). I had a wonderful sleep and woke up at 5:30am and was amzed on how well I could breath. I laid in bed and took long breaths....enjoying it. Now that I am up and moving I sure I already feel a change in my lungs. They almost itch, burn.
I am going to hit the shower(I cannot go to the hospital without shaving the pits and legs !!). When hubby gets home(he took the youngest out of the house so I could rest )...I will call the hospital and see when the "on call" doctor is to arrive.

Thanks for all the tips and ideas...

cin
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 11:26

BF:

Hi Cin!

Since you're developing a cough with this, it could very well be a case of Mycoplasma (walking pneumonia). My daughter has had this twice in the last year and it's very easy to tell for the doctor just by listening to you breath with a stethescope. You don't always feel bad or even always run a fever, but you have chest tightness, shortness of breath and a hacky cough. It's not as dangerous as the streptococcal kind of pneumonia, but the sooner your get on antibiotics, sooner you'll feel better.
Keep us posted on how you're doing!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 11:31
Contributing Member

Lisa..those sure look like my symptioms. I never heard of this before. Thanks for the heads up.

cin
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 13:20

BF:

Cin...sure hope you're feeling better soon! It's too bad I can't hear your cough. Both my husband and my oldest daughter are very prone to this, so I recognize the cough almost immediately; it's very distinctive and not at all like a typical cough you would get with a chest cold. You can also tend to get a bit of wheezing with this as well, so don't be surprised if the doctor prescribes an inhaler to use for a few days to open up those bronchial tubes and help you get the gunk out of your lungs. It should also make your breathing much easier. Get better soon!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-02, 10:23

BF:

Hey, Cin!

Are you feeling better today? I hope so!
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-02, 10:39
Contributing Member

Hi Lisa...
I woke up feeling great...I did about 10 on the ex.bike and my breathing is short again. Rats.
I called the hospital and no Dr. until tonight. Oh well..it's still not as bad as it was 2 days ago.

Thanks for askin'
cin